Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #61
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: What do you consider to be a fast 400m time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
People that claim their 9 second cars are street cars... Do they think im born yesterday?

So the 9 second trim is the exact same configuration as run on the track? as grandma drives kids to school?

At the track running 9s...no weight saving, no slicks, using pump fuel, baby seat, floor mats, glove box full of cd's, street tune??
No need to get into this debate again on what constitutes a street car. Read the topic again. Does Not mention street ...... just what is fast.

12 seconds is massively quick for an off the shelf.

10 seconds in something like a 70's Landau ....... now thats white knuckled and totally addictive stupid fun! They were never meant to hit 200kph, especially in such a short time. Power steering becomes a little light and touchy and the brakes make it more fun at the end. I dont know if driving something a bit more aerodynamically modern would be as sphincter puckering

A 9 second XW vs a 2 tonne 10 sec Landau. 0-100 in a coupla seconds They always look slower in a video!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #62
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I guess if it scares the **** out of you it's probably fairly quick....

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #63
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm noticing a few rounding off of times. When comparing race times (400m times is racing), a hundredth of a second can make all the difference.

If my car runs a 12.9, I can not legitimately go out and tell everyone that I have a 12 second car. It's either a 12.9 or a 13 second 400m car.

Same with 9.9 second 400m; it's either a 9.9 or a 10 second car.

A 9 second & a 9.9 second 400m time are totally different.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #64
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

if you run a 12.9, you most certainly do have a 12 second car - and if asked for clarification you say it's a high 12, same goes for 12.5 or 12, mid 12's, low or flat 12..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #65
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
if you run a 12.9, you most certainly do have a 12 second car - and if asked for clarification you say it's a high 12, same goes for 12.5 or 12, mid 12's, low or flat 12..
So when the guy next to me runs a flat 12 second quarter, I can tell everyone without clarification that my 12.9 second car is a 12 second car. Meaning that we are equals Wow, times have changed.

Old 22-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #66
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Interesting technical discussion, but given the increasingly policed roads we drive on, quarter mile and 0-100 times are meaningless to 99% of people who buy cars now. Hell, the Ford dealer we went through thought it had been six months since anyone else besides me had even asked to see under the bonnet...
I agree. I think there's two different views here:
1. Looking at what is quick for a fairly standard street car with minor mods compared to the rest of the on-road traffic.
2. Looking at what is quick for a car that turns up to the local test and tune regularly.

The people who are coming from the first perspective (like me) are probably thinking 'well most modern standard cars are probably 15 seconds or thereabouts, so quicker than that by a whole second or more is ok over the 1/4 mile'. A new car that can do a 14 second 1/4 mile or even dip into the 13s - eg a new WRX or a new Golf GTi or something, is still plenty quick on real roads.

We've heard a lot of ranging views from the drag strip regulars and it seems the general view is if you take it seriously you'd want to be under 11 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
So when the guy next to me runs a flat 12 second quarter, I can tell everyone without clarification that my 12.9 second car is a 12 second car. Meaning that we are equals Wow, times have changed.
From previous threads in the last couple days I've learned that on this forum the cars have to have the same transmission, driver and lane, on the same track on the same day within 10 minutes of each other and under the same atmospheric conditions, otherwise any comparison is not relevant.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 22-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #67
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
i never said that once

if i ran a 12.9 in my T i would call my car a 12 second car, that's how it works - if asked how quick it is i'd say 12.9. I would not boast about it being a flat 12 if it weren't. This is not new info!
7 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #68
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm noticing a few rounding off of times. When comparing race times (400m times is racing), a hundredth of a second can make all the difference.

If my car runs a 12.9, I can not legitimately go out and tell everyone that I have a 12 second car. It's either a 12.9 or a 13 second 400m car.

Same with 9.9 second 400m; it's either a 9.9 or a 10 second car.

A 9 second & a 9.9 second 400m time are totally different.
Why would someone call their car a 13 sec car if it's run a 12?

vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #69
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevapower View Post
Why would someone call their car a 13 sec car if it's run a 12?
He's trying to round to the nearest whole number, which is against the common norm of drag racing. So it appears he is contending that if you are a 12.5 or higher you're really a 13. So instead of the bracket for a '13' being 13.00 to 13.99 he's saying it should be '12.5 to 13.5' which makes no sense
Old 22-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #70
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah right ok!

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 22-08-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: inappropriate
Old 22-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #71
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm saying - there are too many people on here making there beast faster than what it is.

The cost to shave .9 of your time will cost big dollars the lower your times get. Why not quote your true time, like we expect the Ford & Holden manufacturers to do. There has been two full threads about the VF SS & GTS stated times, with people on here screaming about .2

Yes, your 12.9 second car is a 12 second car, but lets see the full time - 12.9

At least I have a 12 second car

Every other publication give us complete times.

2012 Lamborghini Aventador 10.4 sec @ 136 mph (219 km/h)
2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S 10.7 sec @ 128.9 mph (207.4 km/h)
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 10.8 sec @ 126.4 mph (203.4 km/h) NHRA certified: 10.8 / 126.3 achieved with street legal radials; 11.2 / 125.4 with unmodified factory tires
2012 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo 10.9 sec @ 140 mph (230 km/h)
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 10.9 sec @ 131.7 mph (212.0 km/h)
2010 Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 Super Veloce 10.9 sec @ 129.4 mph (208.2 km/h)
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat 11.0 sec @ 125.2 mph (201.5 km/h)

Old 22-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #72
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Johny your argument is flawed and makes no sense and goes against basically the worlds adopted drag bracket bragging rights!

Did you run a 13.001 and your mate ran a 12.999 and you still haven't gotten over the fact that he's got a 12 sec car and you had a 13 sec car?

Btw my car ran 9.955234 @ 1401.2346676 mph

2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #73
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Btw my car ran 9.955234 @ 1401.2346676 mph
Is your car a surface to air missile?
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #74
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Is your car a surface to air missile?
Nah just being honest like Johny wants us to be.

But it sort of feels like a missile sometimes but only when it runs 9.9's feels slow when it runs 10.0's!

This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #75
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

I think Alan means because you said your car ran over 1400mph lol
Old 22-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #76
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Having a giggle at certain people commenting about quartermile times who are actually too scared to take their cars to the track and would rather toss on about dyno figures,quickest time ive ever gotten at the track in any of my cars is 13.8 at 103mph,pretty slow by some standards but at least ive been to the drags and had a crack.
I have found that if a car feels fun to drive and its enjoyable then that is enough for me from past experiences,take it to the drags and expect a wallet raping soon after chasing quicker times lol.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #77
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think Alan means because you said your car ran over 1400mph lol
Oh yeah i get it!

Bloody decimal point typo!

9.955234 @ 14.012346676 mph

You'd be surprised how streetable a 9 sec (but 10 sec car reallY) ZF barra turbo car is.

They just dodel around like stock under 3k and still return 10 per 100 on highway and 15's on the stop start Sydney traffic.

Technology has come a long way in 10 years!

Also found this interesting link.

My 0 -100 is 1.84 sec's

http://www.sjdsm.com/tech/0_60_calc.htm

Old 22-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #78
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
Just remember, E85 is not hard to find at petrol stations in Sydney anymore and is actually better for the environment than normal fuels.
It a still pretty hard to get where I am. Last time I checked, the closest stations were still at least 20-30 minutes away.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #79
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Oh yeah i get it!

Bloody decimal point typo!

9.955234 @ 14.012346676 mph
lol now it's pretty slow

i get what you're trying to type
Old 22-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #80
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
It a still pretty hard to get where I am. Last time I checked, the closest stations were still at least 20-30 minutes away.
I get that point as I have been waiting for almost 2 years to get an E85 servo within a 5-10 minute drive from home. However, compared to a few years ago, it is a lot more common.

EDIT: There are 3 United servo's that have E85 within 20kms of St Marys.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #81
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol now it's pretty slow

i get what you're trying to type

Old 22-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #82
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

I'm looking at getting a Mk.1 G6E turbo, what times do they run bog stock? Someone mentioned high 12s, but surely that must be a fluke?

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #83
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
I'm looking at getting a Mk.1 G6E turbo, what times do they run bog stock? Someone mentioned high 12s, but surely that must be a fluke?

Mike
When I took mine out, I went 12.9, 12.9, 13.0. Car was 100% standard.
Old 22-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #84
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How awesome is this. Built from one of the Forums sponsors to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjt-...WsuTFPJPgCIOGQ
Old 22-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #85
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

13s is fast 12 is getting serious 11 is seriuosly fast 10 insane 9 warp speed. if you have a modern falcon doing these times at around 1800kg compared to a ferrari at 1400kg or lambo at 1575kg or porsche at around 1400kg when you carry so much weight it makes it hard to handle and harder to achieve these times so super cars should be in a separate section of comparison. well done to the 9, 10 and 11 second guys with there falcons

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #86
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Btw my car ran 9.955234
Pretty quick for a 10 second car :P
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #87
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Michael Johnson ran the 400m in 43.18sec.
That was fast in my books.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #88
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:

Mike
I ran 12.9's straight out when mine was stock too.

And when I ran 11.9's, that was with ****** tyres, roof racks and 3 baby seats, full spare, full fuel, etc. 11's just aren't that fast these days.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #89
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
I'm saying - there are too many people on here making there beast faster than what it is.

The cost to shave .9 of your time will cost big dollars the lower your times get. Why not quote your true time, like we expect the Ford & Holden manufacturers to do. There has been two full threads about the VF SS & GTS stated times, with people on here screaming about .2

Yes, your 12.9 second car is a 12 second car, but lets see the full time - 12.9

At least I have a 12 second car

Every other publication give us complete times.

2012 Lamborghini Aventador 10.4 sec @ 136 mph (219 km/h)
2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S 10.7 sec @ 128.9 mph (207.4 km/h)
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 10.8 sec @ 126.4 mph (203.4 km/h) NHRA certified: 10.8 / 126.3 achieved with street legal radials; 11.2 / 125.4 with unmodified factory tires
2012 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo 10.9 sec @ 140 mph (230 km/h)
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 10.9 sec @ 131.7 mph (212.0 km/h)
2010 Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 Super Veloce 10.9 sec @ 129.4 mph (208.2 km/h)
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat 11.0 sec @ 125.2 mph (201.5 km/h)
In that list there are 7, 10 second cars and 1, 11. Whats the problem?

I wanted to get the Landau into 10 seconds (anything) as there had never been a Landau get in that bracket as far as anyone knew. Took a while, lots of going back and forth, just a little bit of money & R/D but eventually it happened. I would have been content with 10.99 as then it would be a 10 second car.

Yes, everyone knows that a 10.01 car is a lot faster than a 10.99 car and the amount of effort to get there for the identical car is significant but the classification is both are 10 second cars. That is all.

In the context of a discussion on who is faster, then the 'point something' will come into effect ........ but they are still 10 second cars.

Calder will not let 10 second cars run if they do not have roll bars etc BUT you can run 11.00 everyday. Hit 10.99 and its a case of come back when you follow these rules.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #90
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mike

I got a 12.509 second timeslip for my totally stock and untuned XR6T Auto's run at WSID on 21/5/14.

I posted detailed GPS data that my Performance Box recorded during that run earlier today on the "Last EVER Falcon picture and discussion" thread.

If you're skeptical please look at the earlier post that I referred to where the matter of credibility was (I believe successfully) addressed.

At the track I had trouble convincing people that the car wasn't tuned and it seems that you're very surprised by high 12 times.

A G6ET may have more trouble launching though because of no LSD. But I've heard of one getting a 12.4, although I can't confirm it.

The point to remember is that pretty much whatever time is lost at the start, is time lost over the quarter. So a lot of good cars may seem slow.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post