Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Vekgib

Default Anybody know what's happening here ?

Hi everybody.
Just got a call from a workmate who has an AU III XR6 ute.
He said he he had two issues arising yesterday.

1) The central locking does'nt work.The doors will not even lock with the key.
and..
2) While out driving,the air bag warning light on the dash lit up and stayed lit.

He said he did'nt realise the issue with the central locking until he got home and just thought the battery in the remote unit was shot.So he replaced it but to no avail.A check of the fuse box showed that the relevant fuse is fine.
He was wondering whether it's possible that the two issues could somehow be related.
I told him I had no idea but would put a post in here as surely someone here would have a pretty good idea of what's failed.
Hope someone can help !!!!!!
Cheers

Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Anybody know what's happening here ?

central locking could be a locking actuator issue.
When pressing the door lock down manually (with the door shut) ... does it pop back up again making a grinding noise within the door at all??? If so ... some of the actuators is dead ... and a common issue as well.

As for airbag .... not sure ... it flashes in a sequence to report an actual code on initial start up ... so if he can count the number of flashes and report back ... it may give us an idea where the problem may be.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Could be a smart lock problem. I had a similar issue with the air bag light. Ended up swapping key fobs over to the spare I had, and the problem never came back. But I was told smart lock was an issue at the time. Not sure how relevant it is to your problem.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Vekgib

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Have returned his call and advised him what actions to take tonight and will report back.
Thanks again.
Old 25-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2902
Hi everybody.
Just got a call from a workmate who has an AU III XR6 ute.
He said he he had two issues arising yesterday.

1) The central locking does'nt work.The doors will not even lock with the key.
and..
2) While out driving,the air bag warning light on the dash lit up and stayed lit.

He said he did'nt realise the issue with the central locking until he got home and just thought the battery in the remote unit was shot.So he replaced it but to no avail.A check of the fuse box showed that the relevant fuse is fine.
He was wondering whether it's possible that the two issues could somehow be related.
I told him I had no idea but would put a post in here as surely someone here would have a pretty good idea of what's failed.
Hope someone can help !!!!!!
Cheers
i had the same problem with the door it was a bad actuator
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
As for airbag .... not sure ... it flashes in a sequence to report an actual code on initial start up ... so if he can count the number of flashes and report back ... it may give us an idea where the problem may be.
Spoke to him a few minutes back.When he switched the car on,the light lit up as per normal,then went off.Came back on.Off for 3 seconds.Flashed 8 times.Off for 5 seconds.Then repeated the process.

And the locking ? Pushed the button down.It did'nt return.Jumped out of the car,now the sender unit is once again working like a charm. WTF ?

Insert twilight zone music here.
Old 25-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like water ingress into the door lock ... had a similar thing on my Territory ... only has issues when the door was open in the rain (wife was putting our son in the car) ... once dry was OK.

That sounds like Code 18 .... not sure on what that may entail.
Although I have heard that it may be due to a sensor in the B-pillar for the seat belt ... if water gets in there it can cause it ... I think i had the same thing in my AU and never got to fixing it ... only happened in the wet.

Another thing to check is the connection's for the seat belt pretensioners and the seat belt buckle under the seat ... and make sure the plugs are connected firmly.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Sounds like water ingress into the door lock ... had a similar thing on my Territory ... only has issues when the door was open in the rain (wife was putting our son in the car) ... once dry was OK.

That sounds like Code 18 .... not sure on what that may entail.
Although I have heard that it may be due to a sensor in the B-pillar for the seat belt ... if water gets in there it can cause it ... I think i had the same thing in my AU and never got to fixing it ... only happened in the wet.

Another thing to check is the connection's for the seat belt pretensioners and the seat belt buckle under the seat ... and make sure the plugs are connected firmly.
Cheers for that.Owner of ute says thanks as well.
Old 30-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

How did you go with it ... any luck???
Old 31-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Vekgib

LOL....
Poor bugger was tearing his hair out.
Ute never gets driven Mon-Fri but Thursday night he pulled it out of garage to swap cars over so his wife could take it to a sparky on Friday morning.....
Needless to say,on Thursday night,everything working (and in the case of the dash light,NOT working) as it should.
End result is that car stayed in garage Friday as sparky could'nt look for an issue that was'nt showing its face.
As of about 1:30 this afternoon,neither issue had re-appeared.
Cue the Twilight Zone music....
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

that's an AU's way of crying out for attention and love