Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
99-lane
Starter Motor

Default Hey guys newbie here with au fairlane

hey guys/girls new to the site
Am from across the ditch new zealand
have just recently swapped my dirty old work ute for a 1999 ford au fairlane ex taxi.
Now car has done 400.000ks but is still running fine.
runs dual fuel (Lpg and petrol)
Am removing the lpg as im never going to use it
6cyl beast with the catylac converter removed
Just purchased some 18'' wheels for it last night and looks much better then the standard 16's.

Now the thing sits high as hell! had 4 people sitting on the boot plus 4 wheels and a lpg tank in the boot and 3 in the back just to get the thing to sit just above the wheels.
I was just going to get the springs compressed but sounds like a bad way to go after doing a little research on here.
Now ive done countless google searches trying to find some info on this vehicle. i cant even find the engine/chassis number anywhere on the car to do a search about it.
I don't want to lower it to much, the legal height over her s 100 mm from the lowest chassis point unless to get it certified, im not planning on doing that anytime soon.
I am 19 years old, and am pretty damn mechanically minded.
I want to lower it before i put new tires (witch are due) and do a wheel alignment, old fronts started showing wires on the outside, sweet on the inside and the same on the back.
Now i dont make a crap load of cash, What are the spring options? did a few searches on here and didnt find much.
I will upload pictures as soon as possible.

Cheers
Jase

99-lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: Hey guys newbie here with au fairlane

King Spring Superlows, or Eibachs, and Boge Shocks.
And dont be stupid, if your removing the LPG, put a cat on it.
Old 20-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Welcome to the forum mate, good choice of car and nice to see another AU Fairlane in young hands. Look after it, sounds like it needs a bit of money put into it to make it a good cruiser. You'll get there!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Jimmyd
Banned

Welcome to the West Island and the wonderfull world of AU's.

Kings Springs in superlow should still get your Roadworthy (sorta the same thing as a WOF for you NZers), reasonably priced and can get them from just about any parts dealer across the country.

As The Monty says, get a cat fitted - you are looking at megabuck fines if caught not using one - the Transport Dept boys have a nifty little heat gun that will nail you on the spot..... really not worth the risk.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
99-lane
Starter Motor

Cheers guys.
Didn't know that not having a cat was a big deal, It's a common thing people do over here. i got it removed because the bloody thing was blocked. didn't see the point in replacing it.

The car was serviced every 5000 ks by previous owner, engine is quiet as.
Diff and half shafts are fine.
The gearbox seams to have a bit of slip in it, and a real light whine in 1st
I'm not all that handy when it comes to automatics.

Cheers
jase
Old 21-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just so you guys know before you ark up, cats aren't required in NZ. So no, he isn't being stupid.

Get some pics up mate, sounds good!

The auto will always whine through first, they all do it. Its normal.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
99-lane
Starter Motor

Cheers mate, that's what i thought.

Well that's somewhat good to hear haha, Pics will come when i get round to cleaning it.

also just found out i got more bang for my buck with the mags. the listing said they were 18's but they are in fact 19's. not bad for only paying $550 for them.

Cheers jase
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
99-lane
Starter Motor

Sorry to bring post back from the dead, but i finally manged to get my computer all set up again.
Also have some pics, only have two at the moment, was during my lunch break at work.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

I reckon some ultra lows, T20 Black tint, and some nice numberplate holders and that will be looking epic.
It looks quite well so far as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Looking good! Do the spokes have a bit of an angle to them, sort of like turbine blades? Interesting. Nice dish effect, too. Now it just needs to sit a little lower.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
99-lane
Starter Motor

Looks a hell of alot better then what it did on the standard 16'' wheels and tires.
Am paying off bills and fines n wha tnot at the moment. after that will be able to put some $$$ away to buy some springs and tint.. Over here the darkest tint you can go is 35% unless it is a commercial vehicle,i found a set of cobra super low or just lows for $400 from a dealer so am going to go with those.
Will go super low's as long as it keeps it atleast 100mm off the ground.

I also saw somewhere that i will need to get au xr6 rear adjustable camber links or something like that?. please confirm?

Cheers
Jase
Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
99-lane
Starter Motor

Yep each set of spokes is slightly angled in towards the other, they suit the car really well. Am looking forward to the day i get to lower it.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

I understand the camber kit may help lowered AUs with reducing tyre wear long term.