Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
bbbero

Default Buying a MB XR5

Hi all,
I am looking a buying a Mondeo XR5 as a daily, the Super Pursuit is becoming a bit of a pain in tight spots, so being relegated to a weekend toy!
reading through some posts and seems the MB is the pick over the MA.
So Im after some advice as to what things I should pay close attention to when inspecting and test driving?
And if anyone in or around canberra is looking at selling theres let me know!!!

bbbero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Buying a MB XR5

I know of a brilliant example on the Sunshine coast if you are interested.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
bbbero

More info!
Old 25-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Here's a link to it (mobile site though)
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R...0&vertical=Car
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 25-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
bbbero

That's very slick! Can I ask what's the go with the bonnet? Looked like it was two colours?? If only it was closer!!
Old 25-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbero View Post
That's very slick! Can I ask what's the go with the bonnet? Looked like it was two colours?? If only it was closer!!
looks like stick on bonnet protector to me.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah mate it has a 3M clear film on the front.
It would be worth checking out trust me he is keen to move it on as it hardly gets used. You won't find a better looked after example, and it has a few goodies aswell like Quaife.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 26-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
JimStone

Quote:
Looks quite tidy in the pics and its only 1,300klms away - Fly up and make a nice daytrip driving home; alternatively you could always take the Mrs and make a weekend of it...
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
bbbero

That's the argument I put to the mrs,fly up for a night and take a scenic drive back!! Got some sweet talkin to do!!!
Old 26-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

bbbero,
88000kms seems a lot for a 3 (maybe 4) yr old car.
mine is Jul2010 purchase, and has 53000kms on it.
economy wise expect 550-600kms economy around town, 900kms down to MEL on the freeway (passengers needed more pitstops than car).

Importantly, many MA model options are now std in the MB - sunroof, bluetooth, 6-stack, iPod/USB connectivity, Active cruise control, xenons, heated front seats, blah blah blah. And the highlighting red seat piping works better than the silver of the MA IMHO.

Things to watch for:
- loose gearstick surround (black plastic piece)
- rear pads wear out at 50-60K, necessitating new disks as well (disk edges are ground back to get the pads out)
- usual check for squeaks and rattles, mine still being good except for gearstick surround
- make sure *all* the fancy electronics and switchgear works as this model is packed with sooo much magic wizardry
- others have reported poor aircon performance (and I've seen better too)
- mine came with the 'factory delete' option of no bulb in the boot light (warranty fix)
- mine also came with a mangled rear screen washer jet. They are not adjustable and was fixed under warranty.
- The hose to rear washer also fell off (?) and it piddled onto the top of the RHR passenger headrest (fixed under warranty)
- skuffed 18" wheels (my errors), replacements avail at $880 each !!! (and ugly as well IMHO)
- choice of tyres makes a huge difference. The OEM Continental SportContact2 were deadly in damp weather - aquaplaned easily on any suggestion of a puddle and tramlined badly e.g. parkway downhill near Woden heading south. The replacement (my choice) Yokohama C-Drive now give confidence (see other threads here for other opinions).
- don't worry about windows that don't seem to close all the way. The autio-stop just needs re-setting (but get done before sale finalised to ensure works ok). The cars seems to forget settings sometimes.
- some people have reported faulty switchgear facings (symbols worn off). Haven't had this problem myself (early production issues?)

Not sure what you mean the Pursuit is a handful arround town.
The Mondeo is overall slightly shorter than Falcon sedan,
BUT (as far as I recall)
has longer wheelbase
has wider track
is higher
has a bigger boot
turning circle larger (I think)than Falcon due to front wheel drive
and is a right pain to navigate thru the multi storey carparks here e,g, Canberra Centre Big W due to wheelbase, sheer size and poor 'edge' visibility

However, it is still a very good overall package, with *linear* pulling power from 1600rpm. A friend with an XR6 BA Mk2 Turbo loves driving the XR5.
A value buy with included extras standard as often found in the premium/prestige brands.
A real sleeper.
The XR5 is maybe a bit mundane on the outside than some but has the driving dynamics and creature comforts well sorted.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Not sure why you would put a Quaife (LSD) into these.
The MB already has traction control as standard - Electronic Stability Control (ESC) thingy and EBA too.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
bbbero

The Pursuit is ok to drive around, just a pain parking and so on, as Im pretty sure utes are longer than sedans.
I think a XR5 would be easier to live with than the ute.
Thanks for all the tips on what to look for, will definately have a notepad in my pocket!!
And definatley MB over MA!
Old 27-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
Not sure why you would put a Quaife (LSD) into these.
The MB already has traction control as standard - Electronic Stability Control (ESC) thingy and EBA too.
Go and drive one with a quaife then say that. I have driven said car.
T/C and ESP have nothing to do with an LSD, nor do they improve the way it drives. A quaife does.

re klms i tend to agree, but i know the history of this car and i know it has been maintained to within an inch of its life. If not i wouldnt have suggested it
- Antz Turboside Intake
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
bbbero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Go and drive one with a quaife then say that. I have driven said car.
T/C and ESP have nothing to do with an LSD, nor do they improve the way it drives. A quaife does.

re klms i tend to agree, but i know the history of this car and i know it has been maintained to within an inch of its life. If not i wouldnt have suggested it
Well we having a look at a couple nearby, if they fall through I'll be looking at that! gotta love the white on black!! not many white ones around!
Old 29-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
mighty-mon

Quote:
Well we having a look at a couple nearby, if they fall through I'll be looking at that! gotta love the white on black!! not many white ones around!
Frozen White is my favourite colour atm. I have owned 2 x XR5 Mondies MA & MB and both were Sea Grey as no whites were around. The current MB is modded to the hilt and almost ready to pull the trigger on a RS turbo upgrade.
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post