Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
blackfgxr6t
Starter Motor

Default Removing Mondeo Mk4 locking wheel nuts: broken key

Can anyone assist please; MA Mk4 Mondeo wheel lock nut key has sheared, tyre companies can't do it, Ford in Midland WA state no replacement keys avail and 1 hour labour per wheel...minimum, to remove old ones. The key came in an envelope with "WHITE" on it.
Lock nuts are type that the outer spins, so cannot drift socket onto them.
Anyone near Midland WA with such a key I can crack nuts with...an idea? Or has anyone else had this issue and been able to remove locknuts?
Many thanks in anticipation

blackfgxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Removing Mondeo Mk4 locking wheel nuts: broken key

Had to do this to a wreck I bought once to strip out. No key provided.

This was the method I used:

Using a small grinder, or a die grinder, grind the plating off the middle of the lock nut - middle being the section that doesn't spin.

Mask up the wheel to protect it, and weld a standard wheel nut onto the locking nut - welding through the centre (threaded) part of the nut you're adding, onto the lock nut.

Then use a regular socket or wheel brace to undo it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Blackfgxr6t,

Replacement keys are available, it says so in my MA Owner's manual on page 168.

BUT in that bag with "White" printed on it ( mine says "Blue") there should be a card printed in a number of languages that carries a key code which (in my case) is an 8 digit number. If you have not got this code then I think you may be in trouble and will have to resort to an alternative method.

If you google "mondeo locking wheel nut key" you will get a number of hits, some of them being links to youtube videos that might give you some ideas.

I'm surprised that the key nut sheared, but when I visit tyre places to have new tyres fitted, I replace the lock nuts at home for a plain nut and then insist at the tyre retailer that they reset the rattle gun to the torque spec for the wheel studs. I wouldn't like to count the number of times I have had to use a breaker bar on a socket to loosen a wheel nuts that have been overtightened when wheels are replaced in such establishments.

And if they use the gun on a key nut there is a risk that it will be overstressed and break at a subsequent use. Especially if the nut is torqued to too high a figure.

Good luck

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Diesel
Sea Grey TDCI

Hi BlackFGXR6T,
i too had this recently happen and when i rang the local ford dealer to order a new key using the card inside the original bag with the code on it, was told they do not sell replacement keys nor could they get them, but did offer me a new set of nuts with new key.(This did not help the problem)
I took my car to the Bridgestone tyre centre near work and at $25 a wheel they took the lock nuts off for me. (mind you i also bought 2 new tyres).
i replaced them with standard nuts that i bought from ford.

cheers,
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
blackfgxr6t
Starter Motor

Many thanks all. I choose the bridgestone tyre centre option at $20 per nut, replaced them with standard nuts.
Seasons greetings
blackfgxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Papug

Hi BlackFGXR6T,
I purchased my MA Mondeo few years ago with missing wheel lock key.
Ford does have an universal key to help in events like mine or yours.
However, there was only one key for the state (WA), which moved around from dealer to dealer, depending on needs. Mine finaly arrived at Lynford and they replaced locking nuts with the standard one. I think it cost me $120 to do it (!!). Make sure that tyre dealer is not going to damage your alloy wheels during the forceful removal of the lock nuts.

Regards
Greg
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post