Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
Binny

Default Diesel from different servos

How much do you TDCI owners notice the difference between Diesel from different servos? I'm refraining from saying different brands as I think the condition of a servos tanks and how busy it is (how fresh the fuel is) can be contributing factors as well.

The reason I ask is that I have experienced marked differences in performance over the last few tanks. Enough to really take notice of.

On my previous tank which was Caltex Vortex from a large busy servo I noticed how much better it was going over the previous tank which was from a Shell.
Then I filled up the other day at a 7-11 and it is running noticeably worse (than the Shell even). I have to give it a much bigger prod to get it moving and it will kick down when accelerating on the motorway when it would have done it in 6th before with ease.
Just wondering if you have experience similar differences?
Old 26-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Default Re: Diesel from different servos

Hi Binny,

I have a MB Zetec and notice a marked difference between Caltex Vortex and BP Ultimate Diesel. Goes alright on the Vortex and when running on BP Ultimate Diesel is a definite improvement in both consumption and engine running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
How much do you TDCI owners notice the difference between Diesel from different servos? I'm refraining from saying different brands as I think the condition of a servos tanks and how busy it is (how fresh the fuel is) can be contributing factors as well.

The reason I ask is that I have experienced marked differences in performance over the last few tanks. Enough to really take notice of.

On my previous tank which was Caltex Vortex from a large busy servo I noticed how much better it was going over the previous tank which was from a Shell.
Then I filled up the other day at a 7-11 and it is running noticeably worse (than the Shell even). I have to give it a much bigger prod to get it moving and it will kick down when accelerating on the motorway when it would have done it in 6th before with ease.
Just wondering if you have experience similar differences?
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My TDCI Focus runs like *** on Caltex diesel but runs better on Shell, never filled it up with BP Diesel before.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
VF69HARDTOP
Starter Motor

I have run my Mondeo and i30 diesel on BP, Coles and United with no noticeable difference at all in performance nor economy.
VF69HARDTOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Binny

Thanks for your feedback.
Your varied experiences align with my theory that its not necessarily the brand that make the difference. It can also be the particular servo and the condition of their tanks, age of the fuel etc.
I'll go back to the Caltex next tank and see if it comes good again. Problem is it goes so far on a tank lol. Even my transmission seems confused at the moment due to the decrease in torque. It feels like its lost 50Nm.
Old 15-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
s00ty
Starter Motor

I know its an old thread but I have had first hand experience with poor quailty diesel. We have a CRD Jeep and like many others tried to fill up at the cheapest price and with the occasional tank of biodiesel (freedom fuels sell a 5% blend). One day I noticed a slight diesel smell coming from the front of the car and noticed a small wet spot underneath. I booked it in for a service a few weeks later and found out that the high sulfur content that was in the cheaper/bio diesels had eaten away at the seals, injectors and fuel pump! Complete strip down of the motor, new seals, fuel pump, system flush and injectors (8K later) shes running better then new.

The diesel mechanic who did the work told me that BP is currently the only company that certify their own
fuel internationally once refined. Not sure if things have changed as this was a few years ago but have only used shell a handful of times since and there is a noticeable performance and km distance for sure.
s00ty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

mine feels sluggish and smokes like a mofo on BP diesel, yet is clean and perky on Caltex or Woolworths express premium diesel. I prefer to go to Caltex as it has a Pay at the pump system and I love that option.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

well 7-11 fuel because its mobil..
placebo effect, power, fuel usage.
the reality is I cant tell the difference with diesel, not in a way my petrol V8 hence the mobil..

so I go for the best turn over, for low risk with water contaminates.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
mine feels sluggish and smokes like a mofo on BP diesel, yet is clean and perky on Caltex or Woolworths express premium diesel. I prefer to go to Caltex as it has a Pay at the pump system and I love that option.
My TDCI Focus runs best on Shell but runs like poo on Caltex, its odd.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Binny

That's why I said earlier that there could be other factors at play besides the brand. I think it can vary a lot between servos based on quality and age of the tanks and how busy the servo is. The more turnover they have the less chance fuel is old.

FWIW since I last posted here in March I have used only BP ultimate or Caltex Vortex diesel from the same servos every time. It has run consistently well since then.
I can guarantee it's not a placebo effect. The difference was too great. It ran so bad on 7/11 "special" Diesel that I thought there was something wrong with the car.
Old 17-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
well 7-11 fuel because its mobil..
placebo effect, power, fuel usage.
the reality is I cant tell the difference with diesel, not in a way my petrol V8 hence the mobil..

so I go for the best turn over, for low risk with water contaminates.
yeah i go for the busy servo myself , not really a fan of " the little discount servo on the corner " that doesn't get much turnover".
id rather pay extra and hopefully get a better quality of fuel.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Caltex Vortex for my TDCI better economy little more power.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only put BP and Shell diesel in my new Mazda 6 TD and don't notice a difference at all to be honest. Havent tried others as the only places I fill up are these 2 brands (BP round the corner at home and Shell near work)...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post