Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Dave010378
Starter Motor

Default AU Gearbox Flush Service

Hi Guys, Have owned the series 1 falcoon wagon since january and it drives pretty smooth the box doesnt miss a beat. I was ringing around to get a price on a flush service as im pretty sure the pan hasn't been off since new 200,000km. The local ford dealer told me to leave it alone, everything in the box would have worn to the now thick oil, and if there is no dramas with it don't touch it. He said flushing it and replacing it with new oil could cause seals to give way due to wear. Any thoughts BTW the local ford bloke was one of the cheapest for a flush service at $275.

Thanks
Dave

Dave010378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU Gearbox Flush Service

where abouts on the coast are you?

i took my au to shift and drift 2 years ago for a power flush. my mechanic serviced the auto at 170k's and said it looked like the original fluid in it and i could get him to change it again every 5000k's for 2 or 3 goes til the fluid was 'clean' or to get the power flush - i went the power flush.

from memory it was about $180 and took a few hours. the dude at shift and drift dropped me at home then serviced the auto and came and picked me up

the workshop is at 12/ 15 Arizona Rd, Charmhaven.

i would think (others may correct me) that it would be better to service the auto and keep it running 'fresh' rather than letting it go and have the fluid turn into sludge and possibly need the auto fixed or replaced..

-tim
Old 28-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he may have a point, if the oil is thicker , and the box is up there in k`s perhaps putting fresh thin stuff in might find any seals on the verge, dunno , might pay to speak to an auto bloke for an opinion. a while ago ford in epping(melb) had an auto flush deal on also for 275, while others might do it cheaper , to me that still sounds like a fair price , by the time you pay for the oil ,filter ,gasget, labour.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Dave010378
Starter Motor

Hi Tim,
Im down at Tumbi I know of the guy in charmy i might give him a ring today see what he says
Dave010378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
XR8AU2121

You can also check with AutoMedics at West Gosford up the road from Bunnings, they have done mine a couple of times with no problems. They have a lot of experience with BTR's and have been doing gearboxes since 1978.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post