Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Vic Road Rules - 31 Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Its the blatant, texting on your lap, or holding the phone whilst driving that will cop it.
No, there will be some cops who try it on, just because they can. Remember, this is the state that when confronted with evidence a camera may have been faulty for some months, wouldnt even entertain the idea of rescinding fines over that period.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 03:23 PM   #32
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
No, there will be some cops who try it on, just because they can. Remember, this is the state that when confronted with evidence a camera may have been faulty for some months, wouldnt even entertain the idea of rescinding fines over that period.
I have seen cameras going off when no vehicles are going through the intersection.
Prior to images being available online a colleague received a fine in the mail.
He went into the city to look at the image and it was not his car in the photograph.
Different registration and manufacturer.
No compensation for his time.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Why would they want to jam calls? Its not illegal to make calls hands free. Its the texting, instagraming, facebooking they want to stop.
Thats a question for them, all I can tell you is its a regular occurance at the same locations.
For the record I travrl through many diffrrent gantrys, under bridges and even through the Heysen tunnels without issue but pass through a particular few and it hangs up every single time.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #34
prydey
Rob

It baffles me how many people can't drive without having their phone out. Seriously. Just drive. It's not hard. Leave your phone in your pocket.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #35
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It baffles me how many people can't drive without having their phone out. Seriously. Just drive. It's not hard. Leave your phone in your pocket.
A sign of the direction of the human race. People can't even talk to the person sitting with them. Our daughter can't phone us to talk, she must text instead.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #36
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
As much as this is for safety it will be another revenue raiser for the governments just like speed cameras that generate revenue.
It seems to be the only language idiots understand $$$$$$$$$
Old 01-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
A sign of the direction of the human race. People can't even talk to the person sitting with them. Our daughter can't phone us to talk, she must text instead.
Generations think they get smarter but the most recent generations can't seem to fathom that they are slave to a small electronic device they must have with them all the time. Every time it chimes it must be immediately seen to. And it's like when your kids are toddlers, they don't want to go to bed because they think they're going to miss out on something. That's what phones are doing to the human race.

Sure, I sound like an old fuddy dud but nearly all generations have a phone these days but not all generations have their lives dictated by them.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 PM   #38
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like lawyers are already onto this. The final 5 second is a snippet from Shaun Hardy, a well known traffic lawyer, as I thought, it's the blatant infringements that you can't defend, who will get done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJyvkY_MNg

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2023, 07:40 AM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Looks like lawyers are already onto this. The final 5 second is a snippet from Shaun Hardy, a well known traffic lawyer, as I thought, it's the blatant infringements that you can't defend, who will get done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJyvkY_MNg
He's been a big voice against mandatory sentences for driving offences too, if anyone knows about this sort of stuff with bull**** legislation it's him
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Have you seen them?
It’s like they have to check their phones for world breaking news every few seconds like OCD
Every time cars are stopped at lights or in peak hour stop and go, out comes the phone….
In Brisbane, they have cops on motorbikes riding between stopped cars capturing them on helmet cams.
It’s unbelievable to watch, their heads down, not noticing something just over their right shoulder…

I hear the government now has cameras everywhere on lights and gantries to look down and catch phone users
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thumbs up Re: New Vic Road Rules - 31 Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Have you seen them?
It’s like they have to check their phones for world breaking news every few seconds like OCD
Every time cars are stopped at lights or in peak hour stop and go, out comes the phone….
In Brisbane, they have cops on motorbikes riding between stopped cars capturing them on helmet cams.
It’s unbelievable to watch, their heads down, not noticing something just over their right shoulder…

I hear the government now has cameras everywhere on lights and gantries to look down and catch phone users
The first time I saw a crackdown was I was driving through Adelaide CBD a few years ago, there was cops on the footpath and on push bikes at intersections looking into people's cars checking for people using their phones.

Same with police on motorbikes riding around looking into windows looking for phone usage.

I think the worst thing I saw on the road there was how the bendy bus drivers pick up and drop off passengers in Adelaide CBD - they drive like it's June 6, 1944 and they're dropping off soldiers on Omaha beach, I took a wrong turn and ended up unintentionally joining the fight, going through Adelaide CBD with the bendy bus drivers on a mission to liberate France, one white collar worker at a time, I even got a photo of it:

That's the first time I've seen an effort by any police to crack down on it, here in Melbourne if was just police driving by and then deciding to pull you over if they saw and they could be bothered.

Mates Dad got done on the phone, taking a call from management a couple years ago in the semi.

Gets pulled over and the cop asks 'Why we're you using your phone?'

He's all 'I was checking the GPS'

'With your ear?'

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-04-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:48 AM   #42
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Ohhh Please Trev, Cry me a river!…. I wasn’t born yesterday, AND I’ve seen my fair share of road trauma!

Look, this is simply another blatant revenue grab…
If they were truly serious about stopping mobile phone use when driving, then I’m sure there’s technology that could effectively block or jam the mobile signal once a mobile phone is in a vehicle?… But there’s no revenue $$$$s for Dan-tha-man in that!

Similar to smoking or even pokies… If they were really so damn concerned about the health or financial repercussions on people, they’d (in the case of smoking) ban the manufacture or sale of cigarettes?… Again, no tax bucks in that is there?
Pokies?… totally ban them (remember they’ve only been legal in Vic for 30yrs!) if they are doing so much damage to society?
Or even speeding?… If they TRULY wanted to totally stop speeding, speed zones interacting with vehicle technology is already out there!… Again, the almighty revenue stream drys up though, doesn’t it?
It’s not a revenue grab, it’s common sense. You cannot ban pokies and ciggies, all that does is create an underground market. It’s not the same as driving offences. And I’m not sure if you’ve experienced Australia’s internet, both fixed and wireless, but there is no way it’s capable of handling tech that controls cars.

Just don’t touch your phone!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #43
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get tired of fxxxwits drifting out of their lane on a multi lane Rd because they are texting or whatever

ESP when I have 9 elderly people or Ndis young people on a 12 seat community transport bus

It’s out of control
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2023, 12:31 PM   #44
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I guess you are not a police officer or tow truck operator that has to attend to road accidents where people are ****ing around with screens and have caused an accident
Mobile phone usage makes up a tiny fraction of serious road trauma. It is far more likely to be associated with minor fender benders, but they're the ones the police refuse to attend.

Surely if they're serious about safety, ANY collision between moving vehicles should be attended and charges laid?
Old 02-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Mobile phone usage makes up a tiny fraction of serious road trauma. It is far more likely to be associated with minor fender benders, but they're the ones the police refuse to attend.

Surely if they're serious about safety, ANY collision between moving vehicles should be attended and charges laid?
Distraction is a HUGE issue, don't dismiss it
Old 02-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Distraction is a HUGE issue, don't dismiss it
The cops do. They use a phone behind the wheel all the time. You cant train that away.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #47
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stopped driving heavy vehicles 15 years ago.
We were warned that use of a mobile phone was cause for instant dismissal, and had to sign an acknowledge of that rule.
But if the depot wanted to contact us by 2 way radio, it was OK to keep driving and answer the call.
That practice reeked of double standards to me.
I have no idea now about the rules of using 2 way radio, as I don't use it.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #48
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t think transport coy s use two ways much now although my local bus coy still does and of course cb s still used
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #49
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:

That would mean that the cops would have to attend well over 1000 crashes a day and that would be just metro area.

For every 1 crash you hear about there has been another 500, from once being a towie amongst hundreds of other towies and making a comfortable living from it, I can safely say they don't have the resources to come to all crashes, I am now in the repair game and being only 1 panel shop out of thousands and the 100 cars a week that we do, you can see how bad people drive even without a distraction.

Police will only show up if it involves injuries, fatality, drugs and alcohol, they will also come to the ones where the people are punching on 🤣, but for clear cut fender benders you just report it yourself.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #50
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I don’t think transport coy s use two ways much now although my local bus coy still does and of course cb s still used
CB radio is old tech, mobile phones and tablets is what transport uses these days.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #51
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
That would mean that the cops would have to attend well over 1000 crashes a day and that would be just metro area.
Why not contract it out like they did cameras?
Old 02-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #52
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Why not contract it out like they did cameras?
No money in it like camera's, they are looking for bang for buck, send a wage earner out to give out a $200 fine or have a camera take a picture every 2 seconds and make a million in a hour, its a no brainer
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #53
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I stopped driving heavy vehicles 15 years ago.
We were warned that use of a mobile phone was cause for instant dismissal, and had to sign an acknowledge of that rule.
But if the depot wanted to contact us by 2 way radio, it was OK to keep driving and answer the call.
That practice reeked of double standards to me.
I have no idea now about the rules of using 2 way radio, as I don't use it.
Agree to a point, but I do wonder whether it would be easier to keep your eyes on the road when grabbing/keying the mic on a 2 way.

I nearly died a coupla years ago when a ranger driver was looking on his lap, presumably texting, I was heading east, him west, kept his head down while the road turned to the left for him, crossed his lane, filled my side window with Ford badge/grill at 110 km/hr, had me on the shoulder, until he looked up with eyes as wide as dinner plates, straight towards my drivers door across double lines.

True slow motion events and recall tell me it was close...

$1000 fine isn't enough for these wombats, but then I go and buy a car with a digital control screen which requires 3 screen presses to do everything, eyes always leave the road for a second or two, I hate it, kids love it...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #54
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I thought the cops in Victoria just shoot you.....
Nope, they get you to pay the fine, cant get money from a dead man!
Quote:
I hear schools are going to start implementing this jamming tech. Residents near by are not happy because it might affect them
And the 5g wowsers arent up in arms about this yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I saw the news report of the trailer mounted cameras.
There was no mention of fixed cameras.
My experience is so many drivers use the devices while stopped at the lights.
They're in Queensland.... with an amusing number of cameras dedicated to making sure the trailers arent vandalised!
Old 03-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
It seems to be the only language idiots understand $$$$$$$$$
Problem is many idiots don't care or pay fines, they only do it when they get caught and vehicle gets locked by the sheriff when found.
You be surprised how many people go about evading to paying their fines.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 01:56 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Problem is many idiots don't care or pay fines, they only do it when they get caught and vehicle gets locked by the sheriff when found.
You be surprised how many people go about evading to paying their fines.
Unpaid fines in NSW will result in cancellation of your drivers license and any vehicles registered in your name.

Although this wouldn't bother some people.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Unpaid fines in NSW will result in cancellation of your drivers license and any vehicles registered in your name.

Although this wouldn't bother some people.
Can't pay your fines, so now we'll make sure you can't get to work either
Old 03-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #58
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post

And the 5g wowsers arent up in arms about this yet?
Nah, its not happening in Victoria, so its not a problem.....yet.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2023, 02:52 PM   #59
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well well.... saw one of these new AI camera contraptions on the way from Geelong to Portarlington this morning. Was placed in a 60 zone. You can't miss them, they stand out!

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #60
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well well.... saw one of these new AI camera contraptions on the way from Geelong to Portarlington this morning. Was placed in a 60 zone. You can't miss them, they stand out!
A colleague said there has been one on Green Gully Rd, Keilor and another on Dandenong Rd Malvern.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post