Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #481
cowboy
Cowboy

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Oil and gas USED to be where the money is. Since tha *** fell out of the US dollar and good old Kevin Rudd changed the tax laws for expat workers it's not that great now. I was on almost $6500 per week for a while (time on and time off). Nowhere near that now, I'm actually looking to get out.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #482
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
No mate I get paid $1100 on my weeks off. 13k p/mth excluding a/l and sickies etc. gas turbines n compressors, power generation
thats quite good money . well done . especially with 60% time off .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #483
druxr6t

I've got my operators tickets for bobcat/excavator and really want to get my foot in the mines next year...are the courses that train you in heavy machinery worth it? (despite having no mining experience?).

http://www.richardsmining.com.au/tra...perator-course
http://www.aus-com.com.au/index.php
http://www.consolidatedtraining.com.au/courses

In most cases it's around the 3k mark to complete a dump truck course. Would really just like to get into the mines so I can work hard and afford to get out of Sydney!
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #484
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went underground... for all of an hour. Driftrunner broke down. Waiting for formal offer to arrive in mail now.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #485
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Went underground... for all of an hour. Driftrunner broke down. Waiting for formal offer to arrive in mail now.
Old 28-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #486
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this genuine help for working in the mines or is it the chance to showcase who has the biggest wallet and who loves to gloat about it? I couldnt give a rats if somebody earns $1000 an hour - big deal. As long as youre well paid for what you like doing, then I dont think its really anybody elses business to know what you do or dont earn.

(Oh and its not a jealous rant, I am very well paid and am very happy with what ive received from mining for 22 years both financially and personally)

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #487
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spebgtsprint
Is this genuine help for working in the mines or is it the chance to showcase who has the biggest wallet and who loves to gloat about it? I couldnt give a rats if somebody earns $1000 an hour - big deal. As long as youre well paid for what you like doing, then I dont think its really anybody elses business to know what you do or dont earn.

(Oh and its not a jealous rant, I am very well paid and am very happy with what ive received from mining for 22 years both financially and personally)
Good O for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #488
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Oil n gas... $5200 p/week more if im on the rigs. 2wks on 2 off. Just got transfered to Devils Creek, 3wks on 1 off, commissioning
What excatly is it that you do mate? You a leccy?
Old 28-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #489
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Mechy fitter, Gas turbines n compressors, Power generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #490
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wind it back and calm it down, very cool thread for those in the game to pass info on to others k...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #491
Cúl-Báire

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can offer up some advice; after quite a few years working inconstruction, I could do with a change and the lure of working FIFO roster/benefitsis quite attractive especially as my wife and I are working our ***** offsaving for a house. However my experience is a little different so I am notlooking for a way in though the usual "machine operator" route.

I have over 5 years experience in commercial construction, in variouscontracts administration / contracts management roles; with qualifications ininformation technology, building & construction and building surveying.

I know mining, oil/gas have a lot of interesting parallels and I am positivethere are similar roles available, but does anyone know of a good place tostart; does the industry have a preferred recruiter, or recruitment process, iscontacting the big players directly the way to go, etc...?

I am looking for a long term position as opposed to fly by night, with a firmthat will see me as an investment as I look to further develop my career intoall facets of contracts, and commercial management (I’ve heard a lot of goodthings about BHP in this regard).

Any help or advice would be appreciated :-)
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #492
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can offer up some advice; after quite a few years working inconstruction, I could do with a change and the lure of working FIFO roster/benefitsis quite attractive especially as my wife and I are working our ***** offsaving for a house. However my experience is a little different so I am notlooking for a way in though the usual "machine operator" route.

I have over 5 years experience in commercial construction, in variouscontracts administration / contracts management roles; with qualifications ininformation technology, building & construction and building surveying.

I know mining, oil/gas have a lot of interesting parallels and I am positivethere are similar roles available, but does anyone know of a good place tostart; does the industry have a preferred recruiter, or recruitment process, iscontacting the big players directly the way to go, etc...?

I am looking for a long term position as opposed to fly by night, with a firmthat will see me as an investment as I look to further develop my career intoall facets of contracts, and commercial management (I’ve heard a lot of goodthings about BHP in this regard).

Any help or advice would be appreciated :-)
best place to start is with the contracting mobs, workpac, skilled, hays and theres mobs of constuction companys, Monos, CBI, AGC, John Holland etc..
theres a big stack of them, jump on seek.com for more doors to knock on..
Old 28-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #493
natedogg1986

anyone know if there is openings for lv mechanics in the mines? or if they do bridging courses from lv to plant or heavy? really keen to enter the mines.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #494
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1986
anyone know if there is openings for lv mechanics in the mines? or if they do bridging courses from lv to plant or heavy? really keen to enter the mines.
The minesite that I work on has LV mechanics working there to service all of the utes, lighting plants,etc on the mine.
They are employed through Wisely Group. You could try to contact them. Google is your friend!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #495
natedogg1986

is there any pre mining courses that you have to do/put you in greater position to get a job in the mines?

Old 30-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #496
Big Bird 17

Quote:
is there any pre mining courses that you have to do/put you in greater position to get a job in the mines?
There is a course you can do with mastermyne if you are interested in underground.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #497
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you get selected.. And if you pay them 12k+ to do it.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 30-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #498
natedogg1986

i dont wont be going underground. maybe i might have to for a breakdown. i was thinking more along the lines of a green card for builders have to get before they start. anything like that?

Old 30-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #499
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need to put where you live in your profile. No point us giving you info relevant to qld when you live in wa etc.
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 30-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #500
druxr6t

I would like to know basically the same thing, I am from NSW. Looking to try and get in next year - found a few courses that would look good on my resume but not sure if it would help me get in. Things like Mine Rescue & Response, First Aid etc.
Old 30-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #501
natedogg1986

im in nsw but willing to travel anywhere round the counrty.

Old 30-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #502
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
If you get selected.. And if you pay them 12k+ to do it.
We've got a young guy in our crew who did the course,i'm sure he paid about $1800 for it.
Old 30-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #503
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
Oil and gas USED to be where the money is. Since tha *** fell out of the US dollar and good old Kevin Rudd changed the tax laws for expat workers it's not that great now. I was on almost $6500 per week for a while (time on and time off). Nowhere near that now, I'm actually looking to get out.
Not sure where abouts in Oil & Gas you work but i have never had it better. I also spent 11 years in mining (my brother is still there after 23) so i can compare, and for me to go back to the mines would mean a cut in pay and conditions.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #504
druxr6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
We've got a young guy in our crew who did the course,i'm sure he paid about $1800 for it.
$1,650 (incl. GST) non refundable registration fee to be paid 2 weeks prior to commencement of training for the Inexperienced Mineworker Course. This fee may vary with other courses.
$12,100 (incl. GST) course fee: negotiable repayment options available via salary sacrifice.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #505
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ thats it. My brother done that course and I had an interview for it. Glad I didnt get in now.
Also for the duration of the course you have no income (4 weeks) and theres no 100% gaurantee you have a job at the end. Worked for my brother though. Went from working at loading dock at kmart to underground miner in 4 weeks. His cost was sal sacrificed over 12 months.
If he was to leave mastermyne before 12 months he has to pay outstanding amount upfront.
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 31-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #506
druxr6t

I watched the video on their site, pretty amazing stuff. They actually undertake the course on their own underground mining site and train you up on from there. Way too $$$ for me though - imagine if you couldn't get in still! No job and 12k debt lol
Old 31-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #507
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
I watched the video on their site, pretty amazing stuff. They actually undertake the course on their own underground mining site and train you up on from there. Way too $$$ for me though - imagine if you couldn't get in still! No job and 12k debt lol
now thats what i call determination . on he other hand if you have to pay to get in , i'd say the line is longer than, the vacancy , and they arent screeming for people , which in itself is ok for safety .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #508
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres an avenue.. something like these guys.. drillers offsider..
do your time and doors begin to open, hundreds of drilling mobs out there

http://www.jnd.com.au/cms/pages/contact-us.php
Old 31-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #509
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
You should see the size of my HECS bill, sometimes you have to pay to play. (is there no option for gov help?)

I know I will cop it once I start working so I dont feel to guilty.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #510
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
natedogg, I work in the mines, have been in it for about 18 years in surface and underground. I was a car mechanic, did my time with a Ford dealership and was lucky to get a start to change over. There have been a few jobs lately addvertised on www.seek.com.au for WA that want LV trades and are willing to train them to change over to heavy. If its like that in WA it would probalby be the same in QLD etc where the fitters are light on. I know that Westrac also do bridging courses and also offer the same sort of roles.
Cheers
Phil
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post