Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Envi_XR8

Default Do I Name and shame

When I was servicing cars at my dads workshop we would always see some dodgy stuff from cars that had been getting their work done/servicing at car dealers,
So after taking my Ford to my local dealer for the 60K I was very Sceptical
Got home and pulled out a spark plug and clearly they didn’t get changed but they were happy to charge me $122 (not including labor)
This really ****s me, now normally I do service my cars myself but this is my first new car (novated lease car) and even though I would do a better job servicing it unfortunately when it comes time to sell the potential buyer won’t see it that way,They just look for a FSH by the dealership.
SY Mk II TTG ,2017 LZ Focus Sport ,BA G220 MkII in Blaze ,98 EL Futura ,BA MkII XR8 ,EL II XR8 185kw, 98 EL Fairmont Ghia and SY Territory Turbo
Envi_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Do I Name and shame

Go back and complain. Give them a chance to make it right. If they do then fine - mistakes are made. If not then hell yes, name and shame
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
LoBelly

There is always the possibility that the service management don't know and that someone is pocketing the plugs.

Very few people would look or notice.

$122 for plugs is not inconsiderable and there's probably a market for them.
LoBelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Sioso
irregular member

I marked my oil filter with a screw driver years ago and sure enough they just wiped the old oil filter with a cloth to make it look new but charged me for a new one.
I never have any luck with dealerships and I really question whether any of the staff are actual mechanics as you can't even have an intelligent conversation with them regarding your car.
My current mechanic charges a lot more than what a dealer would but he is incredibly fussy and shows me all the parts he replaces, it took me over 20yrs but I finally have a mechanic I trust 100%.
I always make a point of telling buyers that the car was serviced independently as I don't trust dealerships, most buyers accept that and usually agree with me.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I asked for a tyre rotation at my dealer service, I got charged for it too as it was listed on the paperwork...

That one gutter scratch I had on my driver's side back wheel.. was still on the same back driver's side when I got the car back. I don't ask for any extra's anymore. How are you wiper blades they ask? They're fine. Want your injectors cleaned with the service, no, it's fine as it is. etc. etc.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Envi_XR8

Sorry forgot to ask if I should give them the benefit of doubt and confront Ask why they weren’t done Before I name and shame.
SY Mk II TTG ,2017 LZ Focus Sport ,BA G220 MkII in Blaze ,98 EL Futura ,BA MkII XR8 ,EL II XR8 185kw, 98 EL Fairmont Ghia and SY Territory Turbo
Envi_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Sioso
irregular member

yeah, I'd ask first and see what sort of response you get.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
falcon95

Similar situation at a ford dealer years ago with my BA,
Time for regular dealer service but wanted plugs changed, Their "silver" service changed them for the extra price so booked it in....
Charged and paid for silver service and collected car....looked under bonnet and noted dust still covering plastic cover on engine,
Noted no plugs were issued to work order but job listed in tasks completed.... so subsequently rang up to ask why they weren't done....Salesman swore black and blue they were done and I shouldn't worry. I then informed him that no plugs were issued to job and to check....he did and ate his words.
Got them done 2 weeks later in my time for no aditional cost.

Mistakes happen but when your invoice dosn't list parts but same invoice charges for them, then how many times has that happened before with a "standard" service job to others?

Car never went back again after that!

cya
falcon95 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

It could be way worse. Back in 91 my dad did something stupid and bought a mitsubishi magna wagon safari. So 6 month is he put it in for a service. Yeah they drained the oil and put back the sump plug. But somebody forgot to put oil back in. Warrenty on a then new car just meant the quickest and nastiest reco. My old man got rid of that thing real quick once work put him in a 92 cressida. I dont really think its a mitsubishi thing, but when my dad was alive, his only advice on buying a car was never buy a mitsubishi. So old plugs, annoying. The last set of 6 motorcraft plugs for my bf cost $46 and i did the diy. But in either case, its better then lunching a motor.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi_XR8 View Post
Sorry forgot to ask if I should give them the benefit of doubt and confront Ask why they weren’t done Before I name and shame.
Personally I wouldn’t give them the benefit of the doubt. Their a big company and should be more diligent. How many other people have been ripped off? This kind of practice has been going on to long and has been well exposed through the media. Good on you for taking the time to check things out yourself. Remember also this could effectively end your warranty if anything goes wrong down the track. The dealer will pull an invoice and say the plugs were changed when they weren’t.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
Lunch
Wait, what?

My wife’s friend from works Chrysler 300 had a knock in the back somewhere, she took it to Chrysler to get it sorted, they told her they fixed the problem, on the bill was a charge for securing the jack in the boot, only problem was the jack was on her lounge room floor at home, the knock is still there... dealerships suck
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

talk to the dealership, they may be honest but have a bad employee they are not aware of.
They can't fix a problem if they are not aware of it.
If it turns out this is their accepted behaviour then you know who to avoid

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: