Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
ixlix
Starter Motor

Default clutch shudder on take off

Hi guys. My 06 zetec has started to shudder on take off in 1st. Shifting to any other gear when moving is fine. Doesnt happen all the time but when it does it almost feels like the front end is tramping even at low speed.

Is this the beginning of the end for my clutch?

Also how do I find out my flywheel size as I've read there's several different sizes for the focus.

Thanks
Alex
ixlix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: clutch shudder on take off

For an 06 Focus, there are only 2 Flywheels available one for diesel engine 8V41 6477 DB and one for petrol engines 3M51 6477 EB. So the later one is for your vehicle.

Yes it sounds like the start of the end of your clutch..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
ixlix
Starter Motor

Thanks GTLEGEND, sorry to dra this up after quite a while.

Im revisiting getting my clutch done, and wondering if you know if that flywheel you mentioned is 230 or 240mm in diameter?

Would you suggest getting a dual mass again or convert to single mass?
ixlix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Not sure as the only dimension I can find is the clutch on the 5 speed MTX 75 Transmission diameter which is 228mm. Nothing noted on the actual flywheel.

I would keep everything as factory and try to use genuine parts if possible. that way you know everything will fit and work/feel as it should.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Just dragging up an old thread.

My wife's focus (LS) is now doing this as well. It's done just under 140k so assuming it's the original (we bought it on 60k). Unlike the OP it does it in 2nd as well but only when cold. It's not all the time either. Once warmed up it goes completely although my wife and I are very gentle on it, i.e. normal driving.

I'm assuming the clutch is on its way, but is the shudder a sign of oil contamination as well? Or does the shudder go away just because the friction material is heating up?

Also is it necessary to replace the flywheel? Thrust bearing has squeaked since we bought it so good opportunity to get rid of the mouse too. I'm a bit tight on funds so if I can get away with just replacing the clutch I might do that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Also for those who have had this issue, how much longer did the clutch last before you changed it?
Old 25-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Can anyone give me a rough price on doing the clutch and slave on an LS Focus. After reading that the slave cylinder can leak and possibly get oil on the clutch plate, i'm 'guessing' that this is what is happening, as the clutch still works fine, and it only 'skips' until warmed up.

I've watched some youtube clips on changing the clutch, but I don't have the time to be doing that myself so i'll have to put it in somewhere. Google suggests around $1000. Anyone got any feedback on the symptoms or a price?

Thanks.
Old 14-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My LZ at 102000kms is suffering from clutch judder. I thought it was just my driving.
Now I ve got a letter from Ford for a safety recall as there is a fault and may lead to fire.
Going in on 25-9 dealer checks whether judder is acceptable if not the clutch assembly is replaced and power control module updated.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post