Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Intech 6 No Spark

Good morning all.

I am currently having an issue with my AUII Forte. A couple of months back the car would not start for my step son. At the time it was throwing DTCs for primary fuel pump failure (P0230) and a P1358, which states "Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) Central Processing Unit (CPU) failure. Reported if the EDIS CPU within the PCM fails. The powertrain CPU is not receiving any signal from the Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM)". So being the easiest, I replaced the fuel pump and cleared the DTCs. Of course that did not fix the car, so I bought a new coil pack and leads. Bingo, car started and no more DTCs.

The car was fine for a few weeks, and then again one morning it would not start. It was throwing the same P1358 DTC. During diagnosis, I was under the car and checked the loom to coil pack connection. It seemed fine, but I disconnected it to look at the pins, also seemed fine and reconnected it. Checking the car again it started again! By this stage, I had bought another coil pack, on the off chance the one I had bought was faulty.

Fast forward another few weeks and the car then again would not start. Checked the connection again and even replaced the coil pack with the new one to no avail. Again it is throwing the same P1358 trouble code. That is how the car sits to this point in time.

I do not believe it to be fuse related as they either work or do not. I do not believe it is the coil pack, the chances of buying two faulty new ones would be very low.

I do have some more diagnostics to run, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar on their 6 cyl Falcon? Any input appreciated.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Intech 6 No Spark

I would have thought the fault description was pretty self explanatory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) Central Processing Unit (CPU) failure. Reported if the EDIS CPU within the PCM fails. The powertrain CPU is not receiving any signal from the Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM)
It's saying the fault is with the EDIS CPU within the PCM/ECU. Initial resolution would be to replace the PCM in the passenger kick panel.

The WSM also says P0230 is a failure of the fuel pump RELAY, not the fuel pump itself. Either bad wiring, a stuffed relay or faulty PCM. The PCM doesn't operate the fuel pump directly, it switches the ground side of the relay.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I would have thought the fault description was pretty self explanatory...

It's saying the fault is with the EDIS CPU within the PCM/ECU. Initial resolution would be to replace the PCM in the passenger kick panel.

The WSM also says P0230 is a failure of the fuel pump RELAY, not the fuel pump itself. Either bad wiring, a stuffed relay or faulty PCM. The PCM doesn't operate the fuel pump directly, it switches the ground side of the relay.
Thanks arm79.

I tend to agree, I just found it strange that if the ECU is the cause, then why did replacing the coil pack in the first instance correct the issue? Strange, but I guess that is what happens with intermittent faults. I guess, I am just trying to determine if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I do have an ECU here from a S2 Futura, so that would work with a PATS alignment to the BEM and Key. I would also like to check the capacitor that hangs on the side of the coil pack as that is wired in parallel to the ignition feed to the coil pack.

The fuel DTC was cleared and never returned, so it was possibly from an old error no longer impacting the car.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 10-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

For those following along and future reference for those trouble shooting in the future, I changed the ECU (not that I think that would be the issue, but I had one and a mate could do the PATS alignment) and another coil pack to no avail.

The car is now running after changing the crank angle sensor, although the DTCs never ponted in that direction at all!

Just goes to show that you cannot take the DTCs as gospel.

Regards
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
For those following along and future reference for those trouble shooting in the future, I changed the ECU (not that I think that would be the issue, but I had one and a mate could do the PATS alignment) and another coil pack to no avail.

The car is now running after changing the crank angle sensor, although the DTCs never ponted in that direction at all!

Just goes to show that you cannot take the DTCs as gospel.

Regards
Stu
You got no signal from CKP then the ECU has no idea of the engine position and it won't fire the ignition system - this is the number one cause of a no start condition on the mighty 3.8L Ecotec V6 as well

I'm not sure if the 6 cylinder ones has a separate EDIS module like the V8 ones may, but a faulty CKP would explain why it would give DTCs relating to the EDIS module as the CKP on those ones connects directly to the EDIS module rather than the ECU.

Or that may only relate to the EEC-IV instead of EEC-V and is irrelevant

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-09-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
You got no signal from CKP then the ECU has no idea of the engine position and it won't fire the ignition system - this is the number one cause of a no start condition on the mighty 3.8L Ecotec V6 as well

I'm not sure if the 6 cylinder ones has a separate EDIS module like the V8 ones may, but a faulty CKP would explain why it would give DTCs relating to the EDIS module as the CKP on those ones connects directly to the EDIS module rather than the ECU.

Or that may only relate to the EEC-IV instead of EEC-V and is irrelevant
Thanks Damo.

I nearly touched base with you when I bought a oscilloscope during the diagnosis phase. I was going to ask you about the signal I was seeing from the coil pack, but I ended up working it out.

Yes, the AU 6 does have a seperate EDIS module just like the 8s, and what I can tell from the wiring diagram, the CKP is also fed directly to the ECU, which is why I was sort of expecting a designated DTC.

You could have come up with your CKP comment a couple of months ago! Doesn't matter now though, as at least it is running.

Do you think I should buy a new CKP as the one I used was a second hand from a junker I have sitting in my driveway? As they are pretty cheap and easy to change, I think I have answered my own question.

Cheers for the input,
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

This user likes this post: