Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU tuning options

I have a mate who is fairly keen on getting his ute tuned, it is a 200kw motor with headers and exhaust, bigger intake and manifold spacer and also has diff gears. Other than that it is basically stock.

Now I know we have covered this numerous times but I am a little rusty on all the options available now hence me asking - which tuning system and why? I've listed them below with a few thoughts, please feel free to offer your input. Not interested in which tuner does it, he can decide that himself, but more looking at which system to use.

System: Moates Quarterhorse
Pros: Allows end user tuning, not limited to any specific tuners - anybody can do it. This could be handy as his location is not close to any major tuners in Sydney or Melbourne but there are a number of engine builders etc that could do the job but just dont have the software. Cheap.

Cons: Does it allow as many 'changes' to the tune as other packages?

System: Sniper
Pros: Cheap. Easy enough to do.

Cons: Costs every time you change it. But don't they all?

System: SCT Xcal3
Pros: Highly capable tuning suite. Very effective. Supported by lots of tuners.

Cons: Expensive compared to the other 2. Limited to being tuned by licenced tuners etc.

I should also add that at this stage the initial tune would be a generic tune with the possibility of a custom tune/modification of the generic tune down the track. The aim behind the tuning is to make the most out of the mods already done and generally 'wake up' the car.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: AU tuning options

I've only had experience with SCT - don't have any complaints with it and I believe several variables are user adjustable with the XCal3 version. Now ordinarily I'm a bit of a fiddler but I must say the tune Spiro put in the XCal3 suits me fine and I have left it alone.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

if you got enough brains and perserverance to learn QH, why would you get anything else?

p.s. we all know this is for you aust.

if you want something a bit simpler that a tuner can do for you, i think xcal3 is the best option.

if i hold onto my ute ill be getting QH.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT

p.s. we all know this is for you aust.
Hahaha - not this time. I am very interested to see how he goes with it though and if it works out I may follow suit.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

You know my thoughts on this one. But if he wants the convenience and the job taken care of by a professional, probably stick with SCT. With the Quarterhorse there is a lot of reading and learning to be done. Which of course suited me fine. As for the capabilities of each system, basically the same because they are just tweaking what is already written for that particular calibration.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
You know my thoughts on this one. But if he wants the convenience and the job taken care of by a professional, probably stick with SCT. With the Quarterhorse there is a lot of reading and learning to be done. Which of course suited me fine. As for the capabilities of each system, basically the same because they are just tweaking what is already written for that particular calibration.

-Craig
Thanks Craig, I was hoping you'd add your 2c here.

I know what you mean with the 'plug and play and go' setup of SCT, my main sticking point with it is that it is very limited to who can do the work. For example I know I have a capable workshop here where I am who could tune my ute for me no worries but they aren't an SCT dealer and they wouldn't become one because the demand for it would be so low - but if I went with QH they could do it because I would have all the gear for them to do it with if that makes sense. But that's my opinion and this particular car isnt mine, so we'll see which one he chooses.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I can see what your saying Aust. Well if its just the basics of altering the fuel table and spark curves, then any tuner can do that with the QH.

Turn up at his workshop with your laptop plugged into the QH via USB connection, give it a run. Make adjustments on the fly to achieve the desired results through either Clint Garrity's Binary Editor or Mark Mansur's Tuner Pro RT. I use Binary Editor.

So as long as the tuner is familiar with fuel and spark tables (as if they wouldn't be), it will be a no brainer. Of course with mods a few more parameters may need adjusting.

-Craig
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
robbyj
Rob

system: J3 chip
Pro's: Much like the Xcal3 system. Chip plugs into the ECU. Can store multiple tunes. Tunes can be selected on the fly provided the switch is hooked up with it. Chip is cheaper then the Xcal3. ($120 for the actual chip i believe).

Con's: Perhaps not as many tuners use this compared with other alternatives

Also, i looked into this which was i could get the j3 chip pre custom tuned. All i needed to supply was a dyno printout, list of mods and other small details like smartshield/smartlock, series 1,2,3 etc. The tuner could then take all this into account, look at the dyno sheet and pre tune the chip. This is A LOT CHEAPER then a custom dyno tune, but obviously wont yield the same results as the custom dyno tune. but a tune on a budget this would be a great way to go.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
I can see what your saying Aust. Well if its just the basics of altering the fuel table and spark curves, then any tuner can do that with the QH.

Turn up at his workshop with your laptop plugged into the QH via USB connection, give it a run. Make adjustments on the fly to achieve the desired results through either Clint Garrity's Binary Editor or Mark Mansur's Tuner Pro RT. I use Binary Editor.

So as long as the tuner is familiar with fuel and spark tables (as if they wouldn't be), it will be a no brainer. Of course with mods a few more parameters may need adjusting.

-Craig
Thanks Craig, so if I understand this right you would buy a QH system where you get the chip and the program to 'burn' the chip, then download a binary editor and it's happy days? If so I reckon if it was me in this situation I would look seriously at that.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
system: J3 chip
Pro's: Much like the Xcal3 system. Chip plugs into the ECU. Can store multiple tunes. Tunes can be selected on the fly provided the switch is hooked up with it. Chip is cheaper then the Xcal3. ($120 for the actual chip i believe).

Con's: Perhaps not as many tuners use this compared with other alternatives

Also, i looked into this which was i could get the j3 chip pre custom tuned. All i needed to supply was a dyno printout, list of mods and other small details like smartshield/smartlock, series 1,2,3 etc. The tuner could then take all this into account, look at the dyno sheet and pre tune the chip. This is A LOT CHEAPER then a custom dyno tune, but obviously wont yield the same results as the custom dyno tune. but a tune on a budget this would be a great way to go.
^^^ THIS

J3 is also not going to ask you to purchase the updated model after a certain period of time either so you have no fear of your tuning unit being obsolete or out of date. Support for the unit is here in Australia too.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
^^^ THIS

J3 is also not going to ask you to purchase the updated model after a certain period of time either so you have no fear of your tuning unit being obsolete or out of date. Support for the unit is here in Australia too.
To be honest I thought J3 chips were limited to E series!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

No not at all. That's all a Moates Quarterhorse is. Its a glorified J3 chip. It just has the ability of USB connection to your laptop and live tuning and datalogging. It can be removed just like a J3 chip.

A standard J3 chip is removed and reprogrammed via a chip burner. This means that everytime you wish to make an alteration, you have to remove the chip, plug it in to the burner, update the tune to your new settings, and plug it back in to the ECU.

This is a lot of mucking around, but the biggest problem is that it leaves you wide open for a possible poor connection at the J3 port edge connection of the ECU. This was my main reason for choosing the QH over removeable J3 chips.

The QH is put in place and never touched again. I have a USB connection now in my glovebox so that I can connect it straight to my 10" Acer notebook, which also lives in the glovebox.

-Craig
Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

crakrz - That's pretty convenient to have mate. I like the thought of that style. Saves having to remove the cover in the foot well all the time.

Any idea on the cost of the MQH on top of the J3?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Any idea on the cost of the MQH on top of the J3?
Best bet is to PM Matt@Bullett Performance Racing (forum sponsor) for an accurate figure. Please do not quote me here as it was quite a while back. I'm pretty sure it was $450-500 plus $130 for the software and of course dyno time, plus the cost of the laptop.

Now I can hear some people already saying "You can get a custom SCT X-cal3 tune for that". And you would be correct. The $$ worked out to be about equal. But now I have total control, and I won't get told that my hardware is no longer supported 3-5 years later. Its not for everyone but it was perfect for me.

I found a pic of the QH unit too. The black part underneath is the J3 edge connector just like any other J3 chip, and the yellow part in the top left corner is the USB connection.

-Craig
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Craig, when reporting that you decided on the QH, you mentioned that you had to do a bit of research and learning to use the system. The question I have, when you learnt to tune, did you have any background / knowledge of the parameters involved to tune, or did learn it all from scratch? In other words, are you a mechanic and just extended your skill set?

Sorry if it is an obvious or vague question, just wanting to learn what the extent of learning is involved to get to the level that you have.

Regards
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Good questions Stu, basically just expanded my skills a bit further.

I am an "Automotive Machinist" by trade. Which means engine reconditioner basically. I will say straight up that i am no expert and I have been out of the trade for 12yrs but I certainly have a good understanding of the internal combustion engine.

As for the tuning of the ECU, I started from scratch. I have spent many hours reading on http://eectuning.org to understand the parameter descriptions and their functions. So while my wife is watching Masterchef or some c**p like that, I do some reading.

I also downloaded the free trial version of Clint Garrity's Binary Editor from http://eecanalyzer.net to get a good idea of what all this looks like on the PC.

Keep in mind 90% of the functions don't need touching. Ford spent millions on doing that for us. Its just the basics- fuel, spark, and airflow that most people change. Of course if you add different injectors, MAF, add a supercharger, change the engine displacement, and things like that, then you will have to do a bit more trial and error and ask more questions on the forums for your individual application.

-Craig
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Thanks Craig. Good answer.

This thread seems a good place to ask. I have been doing a bit of reading and in particular the factory workshop manuals mention the use of NGS tester, which I have found is the Ford VCM module which connects to the car and comes with software for many functions on a modern Ford (and others). This unit, which is a dealer unit is what they use to program new keys amoungst other things. Does anyone know if you can change basics like fuel, spark and airflow with a Rotunda VCM? Anyone have an opinion on such a unit?

Regards
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Pretty sure this only a diagnostic unit, but I am open to be corrected on that.

-Craig
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

This MHQ doodad sounds the goods.

So, once I have the kit, which is in the order of $500 or so, I can fiddle with mixture, ignition, etc, at will, correct?
There's no restrictions as to who does it, I will have all the necessary stuff to do it myself at home, on a dyno, or at the track, correct?

I have 2 XR8's, am I able to get just another chip and the the same to it? Or would I need another complete kit?

The biggest hurdle is the learning curve of the software?

And lastly, am I correct in that as soon as the chip is pulled from the ECU, it's all back to standard?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #20
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

So, once I have the kit, which is in the order of $500 or so, I can fiddle with mixture, ignition, etc, at will, correct?
There's no restrictions as to who does it, I will have all the necessary stuff to do it myself at home, on a dyno, or at the track, correct?

I have 2 XR8's, am I able to get just another chip and the the same to it? Or would I need another complete kit?

And lastly, am I correct in that as soon as the chip is pulled from the ECU, it's all back to standard?
My understanding is that you would just need a seperate J3 chip for each car. I have started reading at the above link EECTuning.org. Lots of information there. I am sure all of your answers are there too.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

Hi Sox,

Firstly if there is someone more knowlegeable with these questions than me, please speak up as I do not wish to lead people up the garden path so to speak.

The answer to your first and second question is "yes".

Your 2 vehicles will most likely have different 4 digit catch codes unless you are extremely lucky. Definitely need 2 QH units, or J3 chips, whichever you prefer. I'm pretty sure that only one purchase of the software is required. The only thing that can cost some more dollars is if your ECU strategy is not defined or supported yet, and somebody has to write a definition for the software. Then you will have 2 different strategy licences. You can find out once you have the 4 digit code.

The answer to your last question is "yes"

-Craig

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Where do you find the catch code for your car?

Is this J3 chip & the QH one just a piggyback chip like a Unichip?

If so, can the car computer "learn" its way around the piggyback as I have read elsewhere on here

Will the QH work on AU III ?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

This is awesome Craig. I have been reading non stop since you provided the links last night. I am hooked. The MQH option appears to be very very doable - just a lot of reading and learning to do!

Quick question, did you have the QH hardware when you did most of your reading / learning? It makes sense that you have the data logging functionality available to you whilst you are learning.

I am hooked - I think I could do this!

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #24
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

For those wanting to find out more, on the Moates Quaterhorse, check out this doco from the Moates website:

http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse/qh_intro_meyer.doc

A lot of the basic questions answered.

This is just getting better!
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
DW260

All this certainly makes for interesting reading. I was looking at all three options this week, and while the QH tuning package was tempting, on Thursday I purchased the Sniper package. I like the idea of the plug and play - set and forget, style this package offered.

I spoke to Matt at Bullet PT at length (who mentioned Crakrz), and we decided Sniper was best for me. While I admire those who choose to tune their own cars, I couldn't be bothered (I'm lazy ). With the Sniper it enables me to download information to my computer and email it to BPT, who can then pour through the data and send me a new tune via email. Happy days!

No just to wait for the mailman...
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Given Dave is almost literally over my back fence I'll be interested to see how Sniper works for him. I do like the idea of being able to send away your data to have a tune written but I like the idea of being able to 'tweak' it yourself even more so I think if (ah look who are we kidding WHEN) I go down this road, QH will be the choice I make.

For those who asked I think the catch code is written on the big white sticker attached to the ECU, generally a 4 digit combination of numbers and letters but if i am wrong someone will correct me.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #27
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Given Dave is almost literally over my back fence I'll be interested to see how Sniper works for him. I do like the idea of being able to send away your data to have a tune written but I like the idea of being able to 'tweak' it yourself even more so I think if (ah look who are we kidding WHEN) I go down this road, QH will be the choice I make.

For those who asked I think the catch code is written on the big white sticker attached to the ECU, generally a 4 digit combination of numbers and letters but if i am wrong someone will correct me.
Matt informed me that the catch-code can change?... And not rely on the sticker on the ECU... I dunno...
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
Matt informed me that the catch-code can change?... And not rely on the sticker on the ECU... I dunno...
I wonder how you're supposed to accurately identify it then?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Is this J3 chip & the QH one just a piggyback chip like a Unichip?

If so, can the car computer "learn" its way around the piggyback as I have read elsewhere on here

Will the QH work on AU III ?
A piggyback such as a Unichip or Haltech are interceptors. I don't know if they alter the input from the sensors before the ECU, or alter the output command from the ECU. Either way the ECU is being lied to and the adaptive learning can basically alter the fuel trims etc, etc back to their original targets over time. With a J3 chip, the ECU is getting its commands, settings, parameters and all that directly from the chip. There is no "middle man" so to speak. And yes the QH can be used on AU III, just like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
This is awesome Craig. I have been reading non stop since you provided the links last night. I am hooked. The MQH option appears to be very very doable - just a lot of reading and learning to do!

Quick question, did you have the QH hardware when you did most of your reading / learning? It makes sense that you have the data logging functionality available to you whilst you are learning.

I am hooked - I think I could do this!

Stu
I did a lot of reading before I purchased anything.

I don't have the datalogging up and running just yet, as my strategy was unsupported at the time I purchased it. Matt and I have organised to get together in the future to get it sorted. It hasn't bothered me because I have an LC-1 wideband to monitor A/F ratios.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks for that. What about the catch code? Any other info needed from the ECU to buy the correct software?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post