Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 25-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Cougar & Probe - Ford's Aussie Orphans?

Just picking up on the sentiments in another thread here; Should we start a 'club' for Ford's Orphan Coupes. It seems we are forgotten by most of the official 'clubs' when it comes to full membership and while its nice to be along as an associate, it would be good to have somehwere to call home. Not sure how the Cougar guys find this but I suspect it might be the same.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
professorsabre
NECO

Yeah I'm all for it but I don't think there's too many of us here. The club I use to be in wont let me be an assosiate member anymore and another I tried said no to be a member and no to be an assosiate member. So would be nioce to have a place to call home.
Now how do we get this thing started....

Cheers
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We looked at setting up a new club a few years ago, when the Probe scene was a fair bit stronger but the costs & hassle of incorporation were too steep.
I've always missed on discussing this with the Small Ford Clubs, as I think they would be the best fit. Perhaps someone here would give us a home?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 28-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey DRU842, whereabouts in Sydney are you?

I just picked up my Cougar last weekend, I'm out west near Blacktown. Would be good to have a place where the "rare orphan" Fords can get together and discuss things.

I'm guessing there's not too many Cougar/Probe owners on these forums?

Abraxas
Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

There is a Cougar in Wagga Wagga and i have heard the owner express his interest in a club for the cars. There were only 250 or so made werent there?
Old 28-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
professorsabre
NECO

Abraxas congrats mate. You ended up getting the Cougar.

How you enjoying it?

If regards to back2thefutura's q, how many Cougars were sold in Australia? I seem to remember reading something in Wheels saying 900 odd. Anyone know exactly?

Cheers
Old 28-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsabre

How you enjoying it?

If regards to back2thefutura's q, how many Cougars were sold in Australia? I seem to remember reading something in Wheels saying 900 odd. Anyone know exactly?

Cheers
Ahhh ok, i always thought they were a limited run, not just built to order.
Old 29-04-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey ProfessorSabre,

yep, as I mentioned I got her on Saturday last weekend. Have driven her a little (but had to be careful of double demerits), but I still have my old car so I'm getting my usage out of that. The Cougar drives like a dream. Still has a few months of New Car Warranty left, and there's a couple little issues that I'm going to get fixed up before that runs out.

I've ordered some clear side indicators for the car and am looking at some other minor adjustments. I've got a whole heap of questions for you if you don't mind helping me out with in the near future?

Not sure how many Cougars were sold here, but I rarely see any on the roads. That was part of the appeal of buying one.

Abraxas

Quote:

How you enjoying it?

Cheers
Old 29-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, can't help on the Cougar numbers but there were 2010 Probes imported by Ford.
We're in the Shire (southside). There are several other Probers in our neck of the woods.

Last edited by DRU842; 29-04-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 29-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
Hey ProfessorSabre,

yep, as I mentioned I got her on Saturday last weekend. Have driven her a little (but had to be careful of double demerits), but I still have my old car so I'm getting my usage out of that. The Cougar drives like a dream. Still has a few months of New Car Warranty left, and there's a couple little issues that I'm going to get fixed up before that runs out.

I've ordered some clear side indicators for the car and am looking at some other minor adjustments. I've got a whole heap of questions for you if you don't mind helping me out with in the near future?

Not sure how many Cougars were sold here, but I rarely see any on the roads. That was part of the appeal of buying one.

Abraxas
Glad you're enjoying it. Happy to help you when you're ready.

Have fun.

Cheers
Old 29-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Ahhh ok, i always thought they were a limited run, not just built to order.
The Cougar were imported from the US. I'm pretty sure they sold close to a 1000 of them in Australia. Then Ford US dumped the car because of poor sales.

Still, I enjoy my Cougar.
Old 30-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

I love both those car, & I dont see why ford dropped them. Again Ford marketing lets down another pair of good cars.....

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I love both cars.

The one Id really like is teh Cougar Ebiach. There is one on carsales going for ~30,000. A bit optimistic I think but it looks HOT!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

Me too, i'm a big fan and its such a shame both the cars don't have more interest over here..
the amount of interest in probes in the states is unbeleivable.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
professorsabre
NECO

It's the same with cougar's in the states. The interest over there is hugh. So much stuff avail. for them over there I'd like to see here but I doubt we'll see anything.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Yeah, the Cougar scene in the states, and to a smaller extent in Europe is quite large. That's why I was shocked to see ProfessorSabre's Cougar had the Wings West front lip on it and then realised he was in Australia!

Abraxas
Quote:
It's the same with cougar's in the states. The interest over there is hugh. So much stuff avail. for them over there I'd like to see here but I doubt we'll see anything.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #17
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Yeah, the Cougar scene in the states, and to a smaller extent in Europe is quite large. That's why I was shocked to see ProfessorSabre's Cougar had the Wings West front lip on it and then realised he was in Australia!

Abraxas
I got that front here in Australia, what I couldn't believe was that there's a official Wings West distributor in Sydney.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #18
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

I'm going through a bit of a learning curve with getting bits and pieces for my car. Autobarn looked at me like I had four heads when I asked for a panel filter! It's gonna be fun working on this car.

So, on the topic of this thread, do the "Cougar clubs" that exist out there in Australia snob the NECO Cougars? I get Performance Ford mag and notice there is a Cougar club listed in there.

Abraxas
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could get something like this made up:

I bought and cut up the alloy and got an engineering joint to weld it up for $50 - total cost excluding the K&N was $65.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #20
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
I'm going through a bit of a learning curve with getting bits and pieces for my car. Autobarn looked at me like I had four heads when I asked for a panel filter! It's gonna be fun working on this car.

So, on the topic of this thread, do the "Cougar clubs" that exist out there in Australia snob the NECO Cougars? I get Performance Ford mag and notice there is a Cougar club listed in there.

Abraxas
I know the club your talking about. I think that Cougar register is for classic Cougars only.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #21
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried a few things with the Probe - they are a lot more tempremental than the Falcon on mods
I actually lost FWKW with a pod set up
Stock with 91 ron fuel was 97 kw at the treads
K&N with 98 ron fuel was 102 at the treads
POD with 98 ron fuel was 98 at the treads and the POD made it idle like crap
The only down side to this car is the cost of genuine replacement parts from FORD :
We have had it for 3 years now (Feb 02) and the only major mechanical foobar we had was a collapsed power steering pump bearing.
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #22
dontask
Starter Motor

Default Cougars were made in Europe

Hi guys!

Congrats on your Cougar Abraxas.... just need some performance parts and you'll be sweet....

Turbo: http://www.arizonadynochip.com (click on turbo kits).

The only supercharger kit that I know of - Vortech - is unreliable for the Cougar and should not be used.

Oh, and BTW, Cougars were made in two places of the world - Germany and the US. The US Cougars were predominantly made for their domestic market and suffers from higher unreliability problems than ours. Our cougars - which also served the European market, were made in Germany.

Dontask.
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #23
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hey dontask,

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, I've been looking around for some potential "go fast" bits too Just got to get my bank account looking healthy again tho haha.

Thanks for the performance info as well. Do you reckon we'd get a group discount if we bought more than one?

How is your project going? Send us some pics if you like I'd love to see what you've done and what-not.

I figured my car was made in Germany given all the writing in the engine bay lol. Solid and beaut car to drive I must say

Whereabouts are you in Oz?

Dan (Abraxas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask
Hi guys!

Congrats on your Cougar Abraxas.... just need some performance parts and you'll be sweet....

Turbo: http://www.arizonadynochip.com (click on turbo kits).

The only supercharger kit that I know of - Vortech - is unreliable for the Cougar and should not be used.

Oh, and BTW, - - - Our cougars - which also served the European market, were made in Germany.

Dontask.

Last edited by Abraxas; 15-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 15-05-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
dontask
Starter Motor

Hi Dan,

My car is currently completely disassembled and I've just got a parts order come in from the States. Should be good to go soon.

Dont think they'll offer much of a discount with only a few buyers - but hey, at least we could save on shipping. With my current mods, the compression ratio will be bumped to 11.0:1 so dont think I'll be doing much turbocharging.. ;)

I'm in Brissie.

Dontask.
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #25
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at a run down Berry (from Sydney) way this Sunday (22/5). A few details to be sorted yet but keep an eye on http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701139993
Happy for any stry Cougars to meet up as well.
Old 16-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #26
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Ooh, I just found this part of the forum! I too am a Probe owner. Great little car.

A pic of it is in my avatar. Sadly I am thinking I may have to sell it in the near future as my kids are growing and the car isn't! Any ideas on how much a '96 build, first reg '97 Probe with 98000km on the dial would go for? Oh, and it's manual.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #27
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For Cougar power upgrades and turbo kits check out the forums at www.contour.org - it's a US based site for the Ford Contour (USA model Mondeo); but the Cougar and Contour/Mondeo run the same engine/ drivetrain and the engine bay is exactly the same.

A few guys are running single turbos on their 2.5 V6's and last time I looked there was an off the shelf turbo kit was available. Quaife make an LSD to suit as well.
Old 19-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #28
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a brief update on the run to Berry on Sunday 22/5. Idea is to meet at Berry, in the park on the Sydney side of town at 11:00am. We have 3 confirmed & 2 maybe Probes; anyone else is welcome!
Old 19-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #29
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Would love to come along, but afraid I have other plans for Sunday. Keep us posted of any other cruises in future tho. Maybe when I'm out of uni I'll have more time

Abraxas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
Just a brief update on the run to Berry on Sunday 22/5. Idea is to meet at Berry, in the park on the Sydney side of town at 11:00am. We have 3 confirmed & 2 maybe Probes; anyone else is welcome!
Old 19-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #30
professorsabre
NECO

If I was in Syd I'd be there... have a good cruise. Hell am I the only SA Cougar onwer.