Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Default Summernats Review by ACT Government

Received this in my email a few minutes ago:

"596/04 24 December 2004

SUMMERNATS WORKING GROUP ESTABLISHED

Chief Minister and Minister for the Environment Jon Stanhope today
announced
the establishment of the Summernats Working Group to provide advice on the
environmental, economic and social impacts of Summernats utilising a
cost/benefit approach.

"The Government committed to holding a review of the Summernats event in
order to develop comprehensive research as to the benefits of the event to
the ACT," Mr Stanhope said.

"There have been a variety of views expressed to me by the community over a
period of time regarding this event, but in the absence of detailed
research
and considered advice, it is difficult to make an informed judgement.

"The Working Group is an interdepartmental committee chaired by Jocelyn
Plovits from the Chief Minister's Department.

"I have asked that the Working Group report its findings to me by the end
of
February 2005.

"The first task of the review will be to gather information and make an
assessment of Summernats 2005 and incorporate this into the report," Mr
Stanhope said.

"The process of developing the report will include consultation with
relevant stakeholders including the residents near the event, the
Summernats
organisers, business organisations and the government agencies involved in
providing advice to, or regulating activities at, Summernats.

"The outcomes of the consultation will form part of the report, and the
terms of reference for the Working Group are consistent with the
requirements of the Environment Protection Act 1997.

"The Government will consider the report and its recommendations with a
view
to determining a continuing and appropriate regime for the Summernats
event," Mr Stanhope said.

A public notice inviting submissions to the review will be published in
January, with the deadline for submissions being 10 February 2005.

Submissions can be sent to: Summernats Working Group
C/- Strategic Projects and Implementation
Chief Ministers Department
GPO Box 158
Canberra ACT 2601

Media Contacts: Penny Farnsworth 6205 0434(w) 0417 481 407(m)
penny.farnsworth@act.gov.au
Christina Myers 6205 9777(w) 0438 289 714(m) christina.myers@act.gov.au"

As usual, a politician gets it very wrong. If John Stanhope requires, or is
even interested in, "ALL" relevent and necessary information on what impact
the event has, both beneficial and detrimental, then he would have given the
committee until at least the end of April, not February. Small businesses in
the ACT would not have definate "official", or acceptable, revenue figures
until that time, due to the end of the 'Business Activity Statement'
financial quarter being March 31. Even at this point, a number of businesses
don't have their "BAS" completed and submitted until as late as sometime in
May.

Without these revenue figures there is no way of gauging that area of the
impact Summernats 2005 has had on the ACT. It seems to me that, once again,
the rules of the game have been set on an un-level playing field. It is a
forgone conclusion that the most response is likely to be from the residents
of the Watson, Downer, Hackett, area, as they are quick to complain,
protest, and petition, when the opportunity arises, something they have
continued to do for a number of years, regardless of reason, or necessity.

NOTE: I need to add something at this point. Although I have served as an official at every Summernats, I in no way speak for the 'Street Machine Services' organisation in any capacity whatsoever. All of my opinions are exactly that.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 25-01-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
BJ
Banned

Any luck they will get rid of the whole show.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
WIngman

The trouble is if they do get rid of this event, there isn't much else to do in Canberra. We already got rid of V8 supercars and Canberra is pretty boring as far as big events/attractions go. The money that gets pumped into the town is huge and needed for the economy. I understand that there is and idiot element to summernats, but you get that I guess.

Wingman
WIngman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
Is that a question, or a statement of opinion?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 25-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Why?

In all the years I've been going I've never seen it have a negative impact on the city. Sure it gets wild in the park sometimes, but if you don't like it just stay out.

Considering 99% of the time Canberra is a ghost town I thought they'd be more than happy to have some visitors.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Is that a question, or a statement of opinion?
It is a statement. I had been going to the summernat from the very start, as when they were in Narrandera all thoses years ago and contiued to go to Canberra up until about five years ago. And the reson I stoped was because of all of the dickheads that were there year after year. They the organises do nothing in the way of trying to stop this kind of person doing what they do best,cause trouble, so as the familys that go do not feel comfortable and the amount of alcohol that is every were I see it as a point less activite. Now having said that, if the powers to be do see it as a no profit event for there city then bad luck you have those same people that cause the same trouble every year to blame. I am a littel biased because one of my friends wifes was stabed a couple of years ago and no body ever heard anthing about it, and shewas hurt pretty bad and was in hospital for a few weeks.So as I said I hope they shut it down and maybe then people will realize what a once great event it once was.

Last edited by BJ; 25-01-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
big_pete
Sublime

but it used to be worse than it is now, so how can you say that it "once was a great event".
when the supercruise was down northbourne im sure alot more people were upset about what was going on then that how the event is run now
Old 25-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

The things i have noticed from attending
- THey are trying vey hard to reduce the alcohol (as far as BYO goes)
- THey are also trying very hard to make it more family orientated, bit hard when boys will be boys
- The crowd in general behave itself, there is no nit picking and abuse of any make of cars, imo this makes all competitors welcome.
- It is an annual event that people save more money to attend and enjoy, all thrown back into the local economy

I don't camp onsite so maybe after hours is a different kettle of fish but friends that do never experienced any problems.

Another thing that makes Canberra an idlea venue is the nature of a high percentage of the population being public servants to all take annual leave over Xmas and New Year. THis leaves Canberra as a ghost town, suits a huge influx of visitors if you are not dicking around with peoples day to day affairs

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACT Governament wants to redevelop the EPIC venue, the amount of money it could bring in from apartments or similar is alot more than any events could hope to bring in.
Its a pity too because no other city in Australia has such an area so large that can host so many different activities so close to the centre of town.
Problem is EPIC is restricted by noise pollution, and only get a certain amount of points per year. Summernats and the Canberra show take up all of them, anyting else hosted there has to be pretty much dead quite. Which is why you'll never see another concert or alike there again.

Summernats wont die, if Canberra tells them to **** off, they'll be going up to the Goldcoast for sure. Ive heard it straight from the event organisers mouth
They are already welcomed by open arms from the Government up there, offering them money and a venue to go....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 25-01-2005 at 01:04 PM.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft

I don't camp onsite so maybe after hours is a different kettle of fish but friends that do never experienced any problems.
This is only my opinion, but to me the park is better after hours. All the dickheads who come to cause trouble have either passed out or left for the day, so the only people left are those who care about cars.

For the same reason Thursdays are now close to being my favourite day. All the cars, all the car enthusiasts & none of the tools.
Old 25-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
BJ
Banned

Summernats wont die, if Canberra tells them to **** off, they'll be going up to the Goldcoast for sure. Ive heard it straight from the event organisers mouth [/QUOTE]

Thats strange because they were talking about Perth being the best place to hold it and that was from the horses mouth as well?
Old 25-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He did mention Perth too, but the simple fact is thats its just too far from anyone. Who the hell is going to bring their show car over the Nullabor?

Old 25-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
BJ
Banned

I can think of quite a few that would not mind doing it. What about the ones that come over from Perth every year dont you think it would be fairer for them?

Last edited by BJ; 25-01-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
He did mention Perth too, but the simple fact is thats its just too far from anyone. Who the hell is going to bring their show car over the Nullabor?
THats what i was thinking, most of the cars are based on the east coast.. tranporting the cars that far would only be half the problem, they simply wouldn't get the volume of visitors willing to trek to Perth for a 3 day event... TAke you longer to get there and back than the Nats goes for

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #15
HOON69
Banned

without the summernats canberra is DEAD there isnt a car show in australia even close ti being as good and organised as it,if the goverment needs to review it then pollies must be looking for a excuse to close it down,i say let em if they feel like that they make small business go down the guzzler and that will bring enough negatives to the goverment then.

another attempt at stamping out hoons etc,
the locals dont like the noise then P off i reckon not like they were there first anyways,they have just as loud carnivals etc there yet no complaints etc,another one eyed anti hoon pollie strikes again..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
This is only my opinion, but to me the park is better after hours. All the dickheads who come to cause trouble have either passed out or left for the day, so the only people left are those who care about cars.

For the same reason Thursdays are now close to being my favourite day. All the cars, all the car enthusiasts & none of the tools.
EXACTLY!

The problem never was and never will be the guys camping onsite. In all the years I went the only people I ever saw acting like total knobs were blow in, drunken retards and half of them locals. Reason? Get drunk, trash stuff, start a punch on then go home/back to a hotel. They don't have to live in the mess they create.

No-one who treked for 1000+kms to camp onsite would be doing that, least of all because they would be thrown out. No-one camping onsite would be ****ing in the showers/smearing their own shit on the walls of the toilet. No-one camping onsite would be damaging cars because the vehicle owners aren't going to have a problem tracking them down. Restricting the campers ability to bring in grog was the last straw for me.

The answer has been in their face for years and they're too stupid to realise it... so stiff sh*t to 'em if it gets shut down.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #17
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
without the summernats canberra is DEAD there isnt a car show in australia even close ti being as good and organised as it,if the goverment needs to review it then pollies must be looking for a excuse to close it down,i say let em if they feel like that they make small business go down the guzzler and that will bring enough negatives to the goverment then

another attempt at stamping out hoons etc,
the locals dont like the noise then P off i reckon not like they were there first anyways,they have just as loud carnivals etc there yet no complaints etc,another one eyed anti hoon pollie strikes again..

Well maybe it is time to stamp out the hoons as you call them i dont know about you but i get sick and tryed with all of the dick heads that come in and ruin it for eveyone and they walk away smelling like roses, i have been in this hobby for to long to see it go down the way it is If closing down an event like this stops it then who do we realy blame the polys or the hoons, think about that.

Last edited by BJ; 25-01-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 25-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #18
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Hmmm, an "interdepartmental committee" sounds incredibly productive now doesnt it?

And somehow relevant stakeholders does not include people who attend to watch or compete?

But yes... the phrase "Government Review" has been a death sentence for many events, comapnies and industries. Hopefully not....
Old 25-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #19
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

We went down to Canberra for a weekend once.

The first word we could think to describe it was Chenobyl.
Old 25-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #20
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Well maybe it is time to stamp out the hoons as you call them i dont know about you but i get sick and tryed with all of the dick heads that come in and ruin it for eveyone and they walk away smelling like roses, i have been in this hobby for to long to see it go down the way it is If closing down an event like this stops it then who do we realy blame the polys or the hoons, think about that.
thought about it and yep i blame the pollies,for not enforcing the laws for not providing enough tracks to go to in australia to keep it legal and i blame em for bringing this subject even up,you have 10% of the competitors acting stupid why does the other 90% have to suffer?

if they want to enforce anything take away the camp sites for non competitors etc and make it only driver passenger entry to em,ban alcohol sales etc and get more security etc and get the cops in there to police abit more heavily in troubled areas simple but noone listens,the organiser/s have been doing this forever and they are still the No1 carshow in OZ it deserves to stay fullstop...
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #21
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
if they want to enforce anything take away the camp sites for non competitors
This is the first thing I'd do as well. The "bronx" area has been cleaned up a lot in the last few years, but really the event could do without the non-entrant campers.

It'll **** a few people off, but will probably encourage more people to bring cars if they know entrants are the only ones in the park of a night.
Old 25-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went in the late 80s and stopped in 91 when some knob threw a stubby at my car. SInce then all I hear is that it's not got any better.
I will stick to drags and other organised motorsports ....
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #23
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i went this year ,didnt see or hear any drunked hoons ,but i still think they should ban all alcohol and onsite camping for spectaors,ive heard some bad stories about it ,never realy seen it tho except for the SHOW US YA TITS.my mate took his car out this year because of the drunked morons on saturday night,so i reckon they should

BAN ALL ALCOHOL

BAN SPECATORS CAMPING

SHUT IT DOWN BEFORE DARK

BETTER SECURITY FOR CARS AND PEOPLE

BAN THE BLOODY RICE BURNER'S THAT DONT COMPETE

cheers jarrod
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
It is a statement. I had been going to the summernat from the very start, as when they were in Narrandera all thoses years ago and contiued to go to Canberra up until about five years ago. And the reson I stoped was because of all of the dickheads that were there year after year. They the organises do nothing in the way of trying to stop this kind of person doing what they do best,cause trouble, so as the familys that go do not feel comfortable and the amount of alcohol that is every were I see it as a point less activite. Now having said that, if the powers to be do see it as a no profit event for there city then bad luck you have those same people that cause the same trouble every year to blame. I am a littel biased because one of my friends wifes was stabed a couple of years ago and no body ever heard anthing about it, and shewas hurt pretty bad and was in hospital for a few weeks.So as I said I hope they shut it down and maybe then people will realize what a once great event it once was.
The Summernats were never in Nerrandra. That was the ASMF Nationals, which died in about 1998(?). Chic Henry was the organiser for several of those events. However, the Summernats was born out of a dispute between the federation and Street Machine magazine.

As for doing nothing, you have no idea at all. That is a careless thing to state. We do everything in our power to ensure the safest possible environment, considering circumstances. Security forces were increased even further at the 2005 event, but with around 100,000 people through the gate, it is difficult. As far as alchohol is concerned, well, if you happen to have the amount of money to spend that those sponsors do I'm sure that situation can be changed also.

It is unfortunate about the lady that was hurt, and as officials we are saddened by this. I too feel that the ******** element ruins the event for everyone else, as I didn't even enter the event this year.

It is unfortunate you feel that way.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 25-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #25
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its certainly an interesting event but SO many bogans and dickheads everywhere that spoil it. Every year there is a certain amount, I cant remember the exact number (it was significant though) of sexual assaults reported to the police from women attending the event – I cant see how this is making it family orientated.

The organisers need to clamp down on this crap
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #26
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
The Summernats were never in Nerrandra. That was the ASMF Nationals, which died in about 1998(?). Chic Henry was the organiser for several of those events. However, the Summernats was born out of a dispute between the federation and Street Machine magazine.

As for doing nothing, you have no idea at all. That is a careless thing to state. We do everything in our power to ensure the safest possible environment, considering circumstances. Security forces were increased even further at the 2005 event, but with around 100,000 people through the gate, it is difficult. As far as alchohol is concerned, well, if you happen to have the amount of money to spend that those sponsors do I'm sure that situation can be changed also.

It is unfortunate about the lady that was hurt, and as officials we are saddened by this. I too feel that the ******** element ruins the event for everyone else, as I didn't even enter the event this year.

It is unfortunate you feel that way.
Now that people are thinking with there heads, what can we do about it. I for one would hole heartedly suporrt anything that was safe and fun for everyone, and even bring my car to such an event. The common thread throught this argument is alchol, now dont get me wrong i like a drink just like anyone but there is a time and place, so there for it is simpel get rid of the booze and i mean from everyone if that means bag searches then do it if it means car searches then do it. Then that way no body can complain can they. And i did mean the Australian Street Machine nats sorry.
Old 25-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #27
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

We already have car searches, which includes eskies, bags, etc. The problem is not that it is sold inside, but that so many ****ers buy the stuff The whole point of the email I re-posted here, is the residents complaining about it, and noise.

Admittedly, the image of 50 guys with camera phones going ape shit at the sight of a pair of breasts really sums up why there is a problem. They climb street signs, buildings, and come running from, literally, hundreds of yards away.

I've been to every Summernats, and been an official at them all. Now, I'm a pretty big, mean looking SOB, but that doesn't stop these morons from hassling the wife through the open window, while I'm in the car with her. The crap these ****s carry on with has, on more than one occasion, made me want to bash the shit out of them.

These are the ****ers.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 25-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for injuries, the only one reported last year was a strained ankle, thats not bad for an event with 100000+ people attending where alcohol is served.

Im not sure on banning alcohol for the whole event, they have thought about it but it does bring in a shitload of money, more than the entry fee I imagine.
Perhaps restrict it for staturday night only or something.

Old 25-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #29
BJ
Banned

I have been to a few nat in the states and everyone of them was a dry event and you are looking at about double the number of people and entrants than here
Old 25-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
I have been to a few nat in the states and everyone of them was a dry event and you are looking at about double the number of people and entrants than here
Supernats in Sydney is dry as well & that seems to work just fine. Its a completely different atmosphere as you don't have the "SHOW US YA TITS" bogans (which I think are hilarious sometimes), but its still a great event.

I think Summernats would take a huge hit the first year they banned alcohol, but once word got around that it was a better event people would flock back in droves.