Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cant advance timing enough

Hi all, played with timing on 351c in the bronco today, was pretty retarded, I assume due to lpg (only on petrol at the moment). Couldnt see my timing light due to the sun so did it by ear, I turned the dist clockwise until the vaccuum advance diaphragm hit the thermostat housing. Heaps better but needs just a smidgen more. Am I able to move all the leads around one space, then go back to give myself more room? If so, would they all have to move one space clockwise or anti clockwise? Started to confuse myself so thought better ask first.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cant advance timing enough

The lead position probably should have been moved forward when it was assembled originaly
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No reason to retard on LPG.

I'd suggest waiting till the sun goes down, or parking in the shade.

As for the leads, move them in the same direction you're trying to turn the dizzy.
You're trying to move the number 1 lead into the correct position, you can do that by twisting, or by moving the lead, (then adjusting.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No reason to retard on LPG.

I'd suggest waiting till the sun goes down, or parking in the shade.

As for the leads, move them in the same direction you're trying to turn the dizzy.
You're trying to move the number 1 lead into the correct position, you can do that by twisting, or by moving the lead, (then adjusting.)
Thought so too, but cant come to another reason why it was left so far out and seemingly never rectified. Ill try moving leads tomorrow.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe pull the dizzy out and advance it a whole tooth. Stuffing with the leads is a 90* jump in spark timing. A tooth is probably more like 15-20* and the distributor will still be in about the right spot.

LPG is both higher octane and slower burning than petrol, it should be more advanced
Old 20-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait, if it still has points, they could be worn down. It re-tards timing slowly over time, so last owner might not have noticed

Seriously I have to hyphenate that? Mods can you turn down the swear filter so I can use technical terms.

What happens when my female dog thwarts my born-out-of-wedlock roosters plans to get laid?

My ***** ******* my ******* ****** plan to **** the hens (only the last one required stars)

Last edited by BLSTIC; 20-08-2016 at 11:29 PM.
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC View Post
Wait, if it still has points, they could be worn down. It re-tards timing slowly over time, so last owner might not have noticed

Seriously I have to hyphenate that? Mods can you turn down the swear filter so I can use technical terms.

What happens when my female dog thwarts my born-out-of-wedlock roosters plans to get laid?

My ***** ******* my ******* ****** plan to **** the hens (only the last one required stars)
Remember, when adjusting timing:

mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC View Post
Maybe pull the dizzy out and advance it a whole tooth. Stuffing with the leads is a 90* jump in spark timing. A tooth is probably more like 15-20* and the distributor will still be in about the right spot.

LPG is both higher octane and slower burning than petrol, it should be more advanced
Yes sounds like you are a tooth out Ditto for gas being advanced more thn fuel , 2-4 deg more

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto