Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Could we see a Return of the Falcon? And would you BUY one?

As I have discussed in detail elsewhere, Mustang is now the sole surviving RWD platform.
As such, their reluctance to share a global platform seems to have miraculously evaporated as presumably their team would be the ones developing said platform.
Furthermore, it appears that a "4-door version" (Something Ford have been asking for, for decades) is apparently back on the Agenda.

Now I've read the inevitable poo-pooing from Mustang fans, but they need to understand that a 4 door version need not necessarily be a Mustang. Its obviously going to look different, so change a few cosmetic bits, and the badges, and call it something else.

I don't know, there mightbe a market for a 4-door Stang? Or maybe a Pony car by a different name, or potentially as a Police Cruiser or Interceptor.
(Maybe even a luxury version for Lincoln?)

Now don't get me wrong. Auto Manufacturing in Australia is finished (at least in my lifetime), our Falcon is dead and gone, and I think that globally the large family sedan is defunct.

But if reports are to be believed (admittedly a big if) then there will be a 4-door version of the Mustang built in the USA and called the "X". Assuming they keep designing the Stang' for RHD, then the 'X' should also be available.
So you have an American made, largeish RWD sedan, fitted with a variety of V8, V6, and turbo engines. If they were to export them down here, would anyone be interested?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Could we see a Return of the Falcon? And would you BUY one?

Crown Vic, police pack? Hell yes!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

No four door coupe Mustang or Lincoln for that matter, anything like that will now
be handled by some very capable electric vehicles coming in the next few years.

Model E is the four door Mustang, wait till you see that, it's got all the power of a Tesla
with big battery and motors front and back.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

We could speculate I suppose, but the problems to overcome to build a Falcon replacement would be the costs associated with a western country building a car, and the quality issues from 'made in America.'

Plus any American car will have big engines rather than the European and now Asian manufacturers who are embracing small turbo fours simply because of their need to adhere to emission and fuel economy targets that the Yanks are not subject to in their home market.

There is a V6 RWD car on the market in Australia next month - the Hyundai Genesis G80.

Selling in a range from $70,000 to $90,000 - hardly a Falcon replacement though.

Although the 4 cylinder G70 will start around $60,000 which some say is far too expensive.

Then of course one has to consider the car market that has totally embraced the SUV, including me. I can't see myself changing from my SZII Territory any time soon.

So for me the Falcon is dead, except for those old hero models that many blokes my age still lust over.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No and therefore No.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
No and therefore No.
Steve - So you wouldn't trade the GT for one of those mission brown HYUANDAIGENESISKIA technoboxes ?? ...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We could speculate I suppose, but the problems to overcome to build a Falcon replacement would be the costs associated with a western country building a car, and the quality issues from 'made in America.'

Not sure i can agree on 'made in America' quality issues Cav, 2 years into the Mustang 0 issues. With the new Falcons and one Commodore i purchased, they all used to shed minor plastic trim pieces, plus Gt had right lower ball joint nut half undone [clunk when driving out of driveways], also had porous sump/water pump whine. Commodore steering rack would not turn left when cold intermittently, and all fixed under warranty. Saying that i loved driving all those cars, miss the GT the most tho.
Cheers..

Last edited by five 7; 29-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Might happen as a Lincoln - and doubtful Ford would do a RHD variant with most sales potential in the USA and China. Everywhere else the 'midsize' cars are basically large cars now.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No four door coupe Mustang or Lincoln for that matter, anything like that will now

yep no more lincoln sedans either, all SUVs
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Plus any American car will have big engines rather than the European and now Asian manufacturers who are embracing small turbo fours simply because of their need to adhere to emission and fuel economy targets that the Yanks are not subject to in their home market.

There is a V6 RWD car on the market in Australia next month - the Hyundai Genesis G80.

Selling in a range from $70,000 to $90,000 - hardly a Falcon replacement though.

Although the 4 cylinder G70 will start around $60,000 which some say is far too expensive.

Then of course one has to consider the car market that has totally embraced the SUV, including me. I can't see myself changing from my SZII Territory any time soon.

So for me the Falcon is dead, except for those old hero models that many blokes my age still lust over.
I've only seen a few Kia Stingers on the road too. they look really Good. but clearly are not selling.. and like you I wouldn't trade My Territory for a Sedan.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Model E is the four door Mustang, wait till you see that, it's got all the power of a Tesla
with big battery and motors front and back.....
Yup very capable, but soulless and boring.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I think if Ford bring a 4 door Mustang to the market and its on the cards for Australia, don't shoot me, but I reckon that 'Mustang 4 door' would have more credibility than 'Falcon'.

No offence, but even if RWD as opposed to the ZB Commodore, putting the Falcon name plate on something that isn't designed/developed/built in Australia isn't going to just fix things for some, and the Mustang name at this stage would have far more street and sale credibility.
Old 29-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Yup very capable, but soulless and boring.
Well - there is this.......
https://www.facebook.com/drivetribed...7836965027270/

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 29-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the 300c for 61+/- 2k for 6cyl or 8
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Considering Ford have got out of sedans, and are axing models like the Fusion that still sell close to 20,000 a month despite the axe hanging over it's head, what chance is there Ford make a new Falcon? Absolutely zero.

There's no money in mass market sedans any more. If Ford lose money selling 20,000 Fusions a month then they will never do new sedans. The market is too cut throat and sales depend entirerly on dealer incentives to move stock, which kills profits. SUV's don't have the same problem. Not to mention to medium to large sedan buyers are leaving the market in droves.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Considering Ford have got out of sedans, and are axing models like the Fusion that still sell close to 20,000 a month despite the axe hanging over it's head, what chance is there Ford make a new Falcon? Absolutely zero.

There's no money in mass market sedans any more. If Ford lose money selling 20,000 Fusions a month then they will never do new sedans. The market is too cut throat and sales depend entirerly on dealer incentives to move stock, which kills profits. SUV's don't have the same problem. Not to mention to medium to large sedan buyers are leaving the market in droves.
I think the discussion is acknowledging that they're discussing a four door Mustang. Not whether there is a new sedan or not.
Old 29-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
hayseed

It'd be as successful as the "New" Commodore......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #18
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I like the looks of the new Dodge Chargers, and with so many different variants would be a nice addition to our marketplace.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sedans look nice, but wagons are just so much more practical. No I wouldn’t buy a Falcon if it returned.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #20
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bluey-GT;6299999]Steve - So you wouldn't trade the GT for one of those mission brown HYUANDAIGENESISKIA technoboxes ?? ... [/QUOTENo

Jim I would not, i struggled not to go down the mustang path too but i just can't do it. There won't be another Falcon so the OPs question just seems a bit inane as therefore would i or anyone else buy one is irrelevant.
GT450
Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
No and therefore No.
I agree with this.

SUVs are still rising while sedans are still declining.

I
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #22
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way that i will buy other ford cars buggar them as far l am aware that Australian ford company is not coming back as ford factory,land are been selling off so all the machining plant equitment has disappear the face of the earth so i would like to know what happen to the Press jig plant ,tools,CNC maching, paint spraying booth, etc as didnt see them that selling off on Auction.
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

New Falcons,
It's funny how it seems these days everyone follows V8 Supercars but drive high centre of gravity, wheezy SUV's. No wonder there are so many rural roll overs happening lately.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Indeed, overconfidence plus physics making a bad recipe.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
No way that i will buy other ford cars buggar them as far l am aware that Australian ford company is not coming back as ford factory,land are been selling off so all the machining plant equitment has disappear the face of the earth so i would like to know what happen to the Press jig plant ,tools,CNC maching, paint spraying booth, etc as didnt see them that selling off on Auction.
What ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not a fan of SUVs from a car enthusiast perspective, it's always based on a smaller platform that's got the same or similar drive line and put on stilts, so you end up with a taller, slower, thirstier car that's easier for you to get in and out of - the only thing for me that the Territory had going for it is the seating position isn't rediculous like the Falcon.

Maybe when I'm old and flogged out, but I probably won't have any choice.

I don't particularly like the Thailand special dual cab Utes only on small rear passenger space and crappy diesel engines but that will change as the crop of American utes picks up in popularity.

Large sedans will go the way of the panel van, they're already old man cars and have been for a decade at least.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #27
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Simple answer no, the falcon I know n love is gone and as a result it's made me see what else is available in the automotive world, and if I needed a New car ATM here would be my list
Small car - Mazda 3
Medium -c class merc
Large - 300 srt
Twin cab - ram 1500
Sports - mustang / supra
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #28
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I've only seen a few Kia Stingers on the road too. they look really Good. but clearly are not selling.. and like you I wouldn't trade My Territory for a Sedan.
I wouldn't say that, my old man wanted to test drive one last week and the dealer didn't have any because they sold 4 the week before..... He ended up buying new Calais.....

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
I wouldn't say that, my old man wanted to test drive one last week and the dealer didn't have any because they sold 4 the week before..... He ended up buying new Calais.....
Over 340 on carsales. Plenty waiting at dealers if you really really really want one.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #30
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Several at my local dealer , the only shortage seems to be on the road.
GT450