Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: 120 people killed in DIY car maintenance accidents in Australia since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
No I meant the split rings, I just phrased it badly
Scaredy cat. I have an old (80 something) bloke up in Beechworth who does most of mine. I watched him bang the living daylights out of those rings with great skill.
Split rims on the other hand.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: 120 people killed in DIY car maintenance accidents in Australia since 2000

I had to have a tyre swapped over on my bus a few weeks ago, the rears are split rings, old mate is there inflating it whilst has his head over the face of the tyre, I said to the manage r I know a bloke who killed himself doing that, aren't you supposed to put them in a cage?", "nah, just be careful" he says...
I turned my back and stood behind a wall, I don't want to see that **** if it goes pear shaped.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #33
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Last week I needed to "cage' the old spring brakes (way of releasing the park brake without air) on the Louie but found the LHS containment bolt would not engage into that chamber due to the slotted receiver being skewed, it took me 2 hours+ just to get that bolt in, to screw down.
Hid behind the duals the whole time while I did it as if these chambers let go, it can fly in any direction.
I reckon hayseed and GasOLane would agree. Killed a few people in the past.

Be safe everyone.
True words indeed; if you can get hold of it, a movie done some years ago now by Caterpillar is one worth watching.

"Shake Hands With Danger" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26fTGBEi9E

Well worth a watch.

Ed

Last edited by XD 351 Ute; 24-06-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Found a link - relevant to thread.
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #34
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
True words indeed; if you can get hold of it, a movie done some years ago now by Caterpillar is one worth watching.

Well worth a watch.

Ed
That was pretty much what happened with the bloke i saw at work end it. Not in the same fashion, but if youve done it a hundred times and been fine, increasing the corners you cut because so far youve been fine, its the hundred and first time you do it when something finally goes pear shaped.
I was wondering what bought on the epic safety audit and subsiquent over the top safety in the warehouse at the wholesaler my work uses. Also wondered why i hadnt seen my mate who is the head storeman. After a few weeks i asked thinking he had quit, but no, he shattered 2 toes when his foot got run over by the forklift. That was 3 months ago. He is back now, but when the fork is in use its steel caps and high vis vests if you are in the warehouse, and its blocked off to all who do not need to be in there.
Ironically the dodgiest site i have ever worked on was one for the workcover office. On one site inspection the workcover peoples were walking around and they turned a blind eye when one of the gyprockers fell off a ladder and through a wall. They also turned a blind eye to the fact i was running the show for electrical and was still an apprentice at the time. I did have a work car so i guess that was good enough for them.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
No I meant the split rings, I just phrased it badly
I've seen some Videos of them going off killing people. I changed a few in my early 20's but mostly I worked on tubeless
we took a lot of care but I never really realised how dangerous they were until afterwards.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not meaning to be dismissive of the topic but 120 deaths over 20 years is pretty much in keeping with what you’d expect given our population size, 120 lives lost is still regretable but I wonder if a lot more people were killed doing home renovations in the same time period, thinking asbestos exposure

Last edited by jpd80; 25-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Not meaning to be dismissive of the topic but 120 deaths over 20 years is pretty much in keeping with what you’d expect given our population size, 120 lives lost is still regretable but I wonder if a lot more people were killed doing home renovations in the same time period, thinking asbestos exposure
No Doubt higher, Id expect ladder accidents alone
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #38
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Start with the good habits when there young my old man used to say.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #39
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would reckon you are rght jpd80 as far as reno mishaps are concerned.As far as asbestos is concerned,has anyone ever died as a result of having a casual contact with household cladding or is it just a scare tactic by self professed asbestos removal “experts”
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #40
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I believe that a few (unlucky) people have.

Real hit-and-miss stuff though; a neighbour lagged marine boilers for much of his working life (using asbestos and cement paste to bind the cloth), smoked a pipe and died of dementia in his eighties.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #41
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I honestly believe a lot more people would have been killed doing work around their homes from various accidents.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #42
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I would reckon you are rght jpd80 as far as reno mishaps are concerned.As far as asbestos is concerned,has anyone ever died as a result of having a casual contact with household cladding or is it just a scare tactic by self professed asbestos removal “experts”

A lot of houses have asbestos material in them, I wonder how many home reno's done by DIY people would have come in contact with it without knowing of it, only takes that one particle to get in your lungs then Russian roulete it is if it becomes malignant over the years.
My details have been taken just in case I develop mesothelioma as I was exposed to asbestos dust in the 80's during my employment.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #43
.:4:.
Kicking back

Now i dont know how much truth is to this, but one of the old blokes i work with was saying a lot of the people who got asbestosis were the wives of the workers in the asbestos mines. This was due to shaking out dirty work clothes before washing them. Dunno if thats true but it sounds plausable. His next theory im not entirely sold on, but he also reckons heavy smokers were less likely to have fibres penetrate due to the layer of tar in their lungs. My thought on that is lung cancer probably got them first.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My thought on that is lung cancer probably got them first.
Not all of us
Old 25-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #45
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Now i dont know how much truth is to this, but one of the old blokes i work with was saying a lot of the people who got asbestosis were the wives of the workers in the asbestos mines. This was due to shaking out dirty work clothes before washing them. Dunno if thats true but it sounds plausable. His next theory im not entirely sold on, but he also reckons heavy smokers were less likely to have fibres penetrate due to the layer of tar in their lungs. My thought on that is lung cancer probably got them first.

Very true if you google for that info about asbestos miners and their families being exposed to it.
Have a read of this........http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201209044...r-kids-exposed

As for the smoking preventing mesothelioma I would say that is an old wives tale.

Whichever Lung cancer or Mesothelioma would be on par with each other for a slow agonising death.
Old 26-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #46
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Some knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge.
To make it worse we have Facebook mechanics!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Edited for accuracy. :p

Quote:
To make it worse we have Facebook mechanics!
More seriously, I think the danger as it lies presently with home mechanicking, is the divergence of ingrained experience away from social pressure to uphold a perceived element of masculinity/self-sufficiency/resourcefulness/skill.

Not that the issues with home renovation aren’t similar. Unreal television shows about renovating, are absolutely culpable IMO. Not very different to the YT channels where people clown about and “do” major works on vehicles.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #48
PhilT2

I'm new here so I probably can't put up a link yet but smoking increases your chances of asbestos related disease by about 25 times. Something about healthy lungs being able to clear themselves. I think we lose around 300 people a year to asbestos, mostly older folks so nobody cares too much.

Meanwhile eight people a day top themselves...
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 01:27 AM   #49
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I had to have a tyre swapped over on my bus a few weeks ago, the rears are split rings, old mate is there inflating it whilst has his head over the face of the tyre, I said to the manage r I know a bloke who killed himself doing that, aren't you supposed to put them in a cage?", "nah, just be careful" he says...
I turned my back and stood behind a wall, I don't want to see that **** if it goes pear shaped.
Damn scary **** inflating them even when they are in the cage, my old work had plenty of scars in the roof from rings blowing before the days of the cages.
Old 27-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #50
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Do these also kill as claimed:

This was scary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLVvS6CuNlQ

I have always been wary of them and surprised retraining pins or hooks like these are not mandatory:

I'm thinking of buying one of these next time I have a spring job to do:

But are they really safer?

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-06-2019 at 11:21 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #51
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I wish thise video was clearer so we could really see what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIB8K9Lltyk&t=13s
Old 27-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #52
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Then there are the idiots that don't even use a spring compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWTg9VaL08
Old 27-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #53
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Then there are the idiots that don't even use a spring compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWTg9VaL08
He's just Proof that Darwin was right.......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #54
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I shudder but feel sorry for him and can relate.

When I was 20 I had my MK 11 GT 1600 and had inserted a second hand rally shop built Kent 1600 into it with twin dcoe 40mm webbers and the car kept blowing diffs with axle tramp.

Anyway I had no-one to teach me mechanics, was self taught using a Haynes manual. Second time it blew was far from home near a servo. Had no one to tow me home and had no money for ramps and car stands.

So I jack the car up and use bricks (found discarded in a rear laneway) to support rear axle- and local servo and mechanic gets me to leave their concrete area, so I set up just outside and set up again on side of public roadway.

Car jacked up, held by brick pyramids both ends, get the axles out and then diff, and remember at end of job of putting in second hand diff one side of the bricks holding drivers side axle up starting to crumble.

I shudder now- but that young guy releasing the spring sorta reminds me of myself when young- learn the hard way with no guidance from an experienced father.

Hope he was not hurt....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #55
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
Thanks very much, now I keep singing this to myself at work. All bl**dy day !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #56
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

My favourite safety video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

and another version of "shake Hands with Danger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A03jmS3jA8o

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-06-2019 at 03:32 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #57
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Do these also kill as claimed:

This was scary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLVvS6CuNlQ

I have always been wary of them and surprised retraining pins or hooks like these are not mandatory:

I'm thinking of buying one of these next time I have a spring job to do:

But are they really safer?

Only use double hooked end ones as I once had single hook spring de-compressors, had one slip off a compressed spring and the spring just missed my head.
Scared the s*** out of me.
Old 27-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #58
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30+ years ago I was a TA in the Mining Industry.

Some of things we did, (like working under lifted trays without safety chains) I just shake my head in wonder and thank God none of us got killed.
But some of the stuff, which I know would be frowned on today, I'm a bit more tolerant towards. But it comes down to the nature and severity of the risk. There is stuff that will kill you, or at the very least horribly maim you. Electricity, extreme high pressure, flammables, working at (actual) heights and heavy loads. And mostly these are the same things that you can't mitigate.
Never take risks with these, and always ensure that your protection has redundancy.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #59
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I have helped renovate shops and they throw these cages out as 'old fashioned'. Then they proceed to work on split rims and truck and bus tyres all day long... You will only witness them go bang once and not have respect!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #60
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The dangers of asbestos dust in brake pads has been known at least since 1970 when I first started working on cars. The sad part is that the CRC Brakleen I and others used to regularly use to deal with the asbestos brake pad dust (soak the pads with the CRC sprays and use it to clean the dust off any drums or discs) when changing pads at that time contained carbon tetrachloride , trichloroethene or tetrachloroethyene or something similar that was later found to cause liver and kidney cancer and probably more dangerous than the asbestos dust. I used to but it by the drum and decant it into spray bottles. And no carbon filter mask in those days. The formulae has since changed - some discussion here http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1408150589

Quote:
Just an fyi, but trichloroethylene is the same thing as trichlorothene. Those are just synonyms.

Also, there is only one Brakleen that still has chlorinated compounds in it.

There appear to be 6 varieties of Brakleen. See
http://crcindustries.com/auto/crc-br...-parts-cleaner
Two are red cans, four are green. All the greens are non-chlorinated. Only one of the reds is chlorinated.

The non-chlorinated red can says non-chlorinated. The other says "original" formula, and it's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) says it is 90-100% perchlorothyelene (a.k.a. tetrachloroethyene). See
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5089.pdf

I do not know if Brakleen has always been tetrachloroethlyene or if it was, at one point, trichloroethylene. Both are common degreasers/solvents.

If anyone wants to know, generally, what is in a commercial chemical mixture, just google the name and "MSDS" and you should be able to find out pretty quick. Just understand that the can that has been on your garage shelf for thirty years may have been different at the time it was made.