Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Taswegian
Starter Motor

Default Help!! Tailgate Stuck Shut

Hi I have a 1998 HC Mondeo Wagon and the tailgate will not open now, dealer says Actuator is busted and they cannot get the part anywhere.
Problem is they say they will have to cut a hole in tailgate to open it.
What the hell do i do ? does anyone know how to open a stuck tailgate ?
Key will not open it and it just makes a continuous clicking noise when you push the button to open it. I have tried many wreckers to source the part but i suppose the first problem is gettign the tailgate open - am i better off going to a bodyworks shop than a service shop in this case ?

Thanks
Taswegian

Taswegian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Is there trim on the inside you can take off to have look?
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Taswegian
Starter Motor

Doesnt appear to be any visible screws to remove to get the trim off
Old 18-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
dannyxm
was danny888

Surely you can take out the trim on the inside?

Even if you rip it off, or cut it, it would be easier to repair than cut a hole in the tailgatge itself from the outside.

If you can get to it from one side, you should get to it from the other.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Taswegian
Starter Motor

makes sense to me -- ill climb in and have a closer look - thanks - but i think the screws are on the side panel -- ill report back
Old 18-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you get a replacement tailgate from a wrecker?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

that drives me nuts how there is no release there, i am pretty sure you can fit one as ADRs demand if a cargo barrier is fitted a release must be also.

If you can pull the trim out as much as you can and squeeze your arm down there should be some sort of a release.

You could possibly go to a wrecker not only to get the actuator but to see a tailgate apart so you can know where to reach for.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Taswegian
Starter Motor

Ok thanks for the tips -- havent been able rto find a wrecker with a tailgate as yet, im going to Geelong for a few days next week so ill have a hunt around there
Old 18-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
dannyxm
was danny888

that would drive me bananas.......

give our mates in the Mondeo section a yell maybe .........

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=225
Old 18-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

maybe you can undo where the latch goes from under the car or under the bumper bar, its got to bolt up to something.

you may be even able to drill it out.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taswegian
Hi I have a 1998 HC Mondeo Wagon and the tailgate will not open now, dealer says Actuator is busted and they cannot get the part anywhere.
Problem is they say they will have to cut a hole in tailgate to open it.
What the hell do i do ? does anyone know how to open a stuck tailgate ?
Key will not open it and it just makes a continuous clicking noise when you push the button to open it. I have tried many wreckers to source the part but i suppose the first problem is gettign the tailgate open - am i better off going to a bodyworks shop than a service shop in this case ?

Thanks
Taswegian

Firstly pop into a dealership or a car yard with a similar car as yourself, open the boot, and look at any practical ways that can be used to open it.

I once had a similar issue with a sedan, that had cable come away from mechanism (no key unlock), and couldnt get access to boot via rear seat due to LPG tank. After much advice from dealerships and panel shops, I just went to a car yard with same car, and was able to work out a a way to acess the part.

Not familiar with design, but If there is trim at bottom of tailgate, it will more than likely be held in place by xmas tree's, and if you pull of gently (and dont damage tree's), it will just pop back in after you finish.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
fordmondeoman

if you cant get to it from the inside some times its possible to drill a hole where the number plate is to access the lock or cables to get it open, but like someone said before you need to see a car to work out if u can get access to it from there, if so easy as drill hole open it up cover the hole and the number plate will hide the hole( that you would then patch up)
Old 18-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happens if you disconnect the battery!!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
small_ford
Starter Motor

You can probably buy the parts you need from an NZ wrecker, lots of Mondeos have been sold here since 1997.
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post