Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #61
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Ive driven an auto XR6T... I despised it. Personal preference of course, but Id never buy an auto XR6T - was the most boring BA I have ever driven. And it didnt even seem to go that hard, even compared to my NA....Got out of it disgusted and they let me drive a manual XR8... Now THAT was fun.... My Dad, who drives an auto AUI Fairmont, drove the auto XR6T too... he also said he wouldnt get it in auto...
I drive an auto XR6T all the time. I reckon its pretty ok.... :
Its not boring in sequential mode and performance mode. Its pretty punchy actually. I cannot comment though really because i haven't driven a manual XR6 Turbo, however the MKI manuals tend to have a bad reputation on XR6T and XR8. I spose it all comes down to personal preference.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 01:36 AM   #62
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How did a thread about a 6 speed auto turn into the attack, and defence, of the BA XR6T auto? Weird.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, give me an auto any day - and the more gears the better. Manuals are for people who think they need to change gears to enjoy driving. Autos are for those who know how to drive and take pleasure in doing so, without needing to resort to the menial and out-dated task of changing gears themselves. (Dons flame suit).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #63
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Thats a bit of a silly statement tho, there are a lot of people that enjoy and know how to drive with their manuals

I wouldnt mind a 6sp auto cos im a lazy ****

other then that ill stick to my manuals

Chris
Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #64
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
How did a thread about a 6 speed auto turn into the attack, and defence, of the BA XR6T auto? Weird.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, give me an auto any day - and the more gears the better. Manuals are for people who think they need to change gears to enjoy driving. Autos are for those who know how to drive and take pleasure in doing so, without needing to resort to the menial and out-dated task of changing gears themselves. (Dons flame suit).
Oh dear. Your first sentence was the most intelligent thing in that post! It has gone off topic, but I guess its related on account of how the 6 speed auto might go in the XR6T.... but point taken on that one...

As for the rest, well insert 100 x ROFL smilies here! Hahahahahaha.

*XRchic is picking flame suit up from dry cleaners tomorrow, its been worn a bit lately HEHE.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #65
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8

JC, you are LAZY!!! Say it with me now, L-A-Z-Y..... ;)

Manuals aren't out dated, but a 6spd auto is a pretty sweet sounding proposition. I would drive one and see what the lag and responsiveness is like and I'd be sorely tempted to get one if I was in the position, but I might just go the manual again too.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #66
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeap whenever it comes its going to be a good thing! Smoother shifts, better acceleration, fuel economy, the list goes on. Just a matter of when.....

And merc can keep there 7 speeds..lol..next thing you know they will drop a truck g'box on that has 20 speeds!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #67
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I would put 1 in my EA, already looking at the BA 4 speed, maybe I should wait a while

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #68
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as it is more than theoretically better it's all good. Is there a shift kit for them yet? :P
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I would put 1 in my EA, already looking at the BA 4 speed, maybe I should wait a while
I have a funny feeling the cost will outweigh the benefit of dropping one in an EA. Unless you intend on keeping it for the next 20 or so years.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #70
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
JC, you are LAZY!!! Say it with me now, L-A-Z-Y..... ;)

Manuals aren't out dated, but a 6spd auto is a pretty sweet sounding proposition. I would drive one and see what the lag and responsiveness is like and I'd be sorely tempted to get one if I was in the position, but I might just go the manual again too.
OK, my bit about manuals was tongue in cheek. But I am lazy, and I would take a six speed auto over a six speed manual anyday. I have actually owned a few manual cars, and I am too hard on the driveline, hence my preference for autos.

Vic, the fact is the "old-style" manuals are being phased out by most car companies. SMG or semi auto gearboxes are the way of the future. Ie, you still change gears, but you don't do the clutch - the computer does. To me, these are just another form of auto. The obvious compromise would be an SMG/semi auto that has a full auto option. That way, we can all buy the same car (ie no need to choose between auto or manual at time of purchase), and some can drive it in full manual mode (less the left foot effort), the rest can go full auto. Until then, though, a 4 or 5 or 6 speed auto will do me just fine.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #71
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

From what I've heard, its gonna be a ripper of a gearbox!!! Stock 3 valve - 6.8 secs 0-100km/h and 8.2 L/100km on the highway. I'm a manual guy but this is gonna be great for FORD!!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I know someone who has been in a 6 speed auto GT at the Proving Grounds and he reckoned you could hardly even feel it shift under full acceleration, it was that smooth. The only way you could tell it shifted was the engine note changing. I think a ratio around 2.8 will be used. A set of 4.1's would really wake it up.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 08-02-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post