Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
inventiv

Default What are people's thoughts on this? Fix it or leave it?..

Hi all, had a cold air induction pipe put on a few weeks back. Paid good money too and definitely got no discount, haha, looks like this:

Anyway I have run into a problem with it that is concerning me more and more..
This thing is starting to bore a hole through my heat shield:

The top of the pipe is touching the bonnet when closed, here is a shot of a couple of beads of weld slag with the heat shield residue around it:

The bonnet is particularly hard to close, you can feel the bonnet touching the pipe even when the bonnet latch is only on it's first latch.. I think the problem is that the pipe sits to high, and angled upwards towards the middle of the engine bay. Have a look at the yellow line (pipe direction) as opposed to the green line which is the top of the engine bay (clearly the pipe rises towards the middle):

My other concern besides the hole being made in the heat shield is that if you look at the image above again, you will see that the intake pipe and throttle body do not align flush inside the blue silicone hose. The red arrows point to the misalignments.. So this can't be good for optimal airflow right?.. The bonnet is hard to shut, you really have to press down on it, and I'm guessing this is where the give happens to make it possible to close.. Over the last few weeks it has offset like that so that due to me opening and closing the bonnet.

Anyway I'm thinking of taking it back to get it fixed. Wanna know what people think, am I being paranoid? Is this acceptable? I'm thinking that I don't want the pipe to work it's way through my heat shield up top. I thought about just removing it but then it would be fouling on the bonnet, scratching the hell out of it. Also I don't like the fact that the intake is that hard up against the bonnet, surely this is no good when the engine flexes under acceleration on it's mounts.. Oh and of course I can't possibly be getting optimal air flow with the pipe and throttle body miss-aligned like that.

I am thinking about taking the car back to get this fixed, I don't think it would take much to fix, just needs another bend downwards (large green arrow) to me more in line with the engine (small green arrow):

I reckon that would solve it.

What do people think?..

inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: What are people's thoughts on this? Fix it or leave it?..

Pipe is too high. Get it fixed ASAP before the heat causes the outer bonnet paint to discolour and delaminate (clear coat will come off). In any event you might want to consider adding some reflective stick on foil heat shielding to that part of the under-bonnet area.
Old 21-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
inventiv

I would if I had the space lol, at this stage the pipe would just foul any foil there.
So I wouldnt be asking much to get this fixed then.. ok I'll see what they say.

As a side note I mentioned this clearance problem to the technician when he was installing it. He said at the time that it won't cause a problem as long as he can get the bonnet to lock onto the first latch, despite him then needing both hands to press the bonnet down and lock it fully, lol.
Old 21-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
peterljohnson55

Yeah, dodgy design and dodgy job regardless whether it is an off-the-shelf induction tube or custom made. Definitely a bend missing at green arrow as you say. Dropping the tube and raising the last straight section, to match, to correct alignment, and including that additional bend, which will only go thru a few degrees, should solve the problem provided it allows the top of pipe to be horizontal.

Here is a pic of intake with additional flex joint between 2nd and 3rd 90d bends. Notice the length of straight pipe before delivery to throttle - the longer the better as far as reducing turbulence and improving air-flow goes.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...6/2647_4lo.jpg
also
see pic on Ford Forums thread here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4460596
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Is it a Difillippo one as a mate had one a while back from them and it did the same thing.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
inventiv

Thanks for that, I've PM'd the shop owner, he's a member here so I don't want to stir the pot too much or drop any names - yet.

Let's see what he says. I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers
Old 22-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
EvilChief
Boost Addict

The TB is oval and will never line up 100% with your round induction pipe. When I have made these before i had to actually crush the pipe to go over the BBM so it wont foul on the bonnet.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
inventiv

Hm.. well whatever works I guess - definitely no good as it is in any case..

Have a look at the last pic too, the pipe over the engine bay can definitely be lowered. There's something like 30mm between the two.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
peterljohnson55

I would also back-charge the installer for the price of a new heat shield. Surely the installer would have known it didn't fit when he closed the bonnet - or maybe he left you to do that. Anyway, no excuse and repairs should not be at your expense unless you gave the installer the design.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice clean and neat engine bay you have there old mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
inventiv

Yeah she's a particularly neat example, hehe.

Got the car back yesterday and clearance is all better. I'll take a pic tonight and post once Pedders are done.

Cheers