Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
lpgguy

Default AUIII workshop manual OR CD

What is the best AUIII Falcon Sedan workshop manual around - is it Gregories or Max Ellery's or a CD download ?

I heard one person say it was Max Ellery's because it had lots of good photo's of mechanical items.

Can you get any AUIII workshop manuals on CD or download?

lpgguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i would say ellery's, only becasue he has the reputation of having decent pics and info. not sure about the cd/download though, my guess would be no at the moment, as i havent heard of any workshop manual on disc. perhaps google it and see if it comes up with anything?

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
peterban
AULTD

Ellerys leaves a lot to be desired, it is full of the technical stuff and plenty of photos but has lots of gaps for the smaller DIY jobs.
Removing fuel filter for instance doesn't even show whereabouts it is and how to remove the clips ( pretty basic info that is needed )

The GK "how to's" are alot better for the home DIY as George goes to the trouble of having pictures for every step of the procedure
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Ellerys leaves a lot to be desired, it is full of the technical stuff and plenty of photos but has lots of gaps for the smaller DIY jobs.
Removing fuel filter for instance doesn't even show whereabouts it is and how to remove the clips ( pretty basic info that is needed )

The GK "how to's" are alot better for the home DIY as George goes to the trouble of having pictures for every step of the procedure
I have an Ellery's manual and find it good and not so good! It depends on the job though. It does give many good pics, but often has some missing. I guess any manual would be 10 Bibles thick if it had the pics and details that I wanted! LOL!

I guess having a manual, no matter what gaps it has, it better than none! Perhaps look at Ellery's and Gregory's side by side if you can. It may even be benefitial to get both!

Thanks for your comments regarding my "how to's". I just need lots of confidence and a really good idea on what to do BEFORE I begin a job. I suspect that the detailed pics would help others who lack a little confidence like myself. Yep, I sometimes lack a lot of confidence with jobs on the car, especially a new one not yet attempted. Shhhhhhhhh it'll be our little secret! LOL!

However, each job successfully completed gives that little bit more confidence to attempt another and another. I doubt I'd ever crack an engine or gearbox and such. I suspect that is beyond my limited understanding. I certainly take my hat off to those who successfully do so with regularity!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
lpgguy

[QUOTE=GK]

"I guess having a manual, no matter what gaps it has, it better than none! Perhaps look at Ellery's and Gregory's side by side if you can. It may even be benefitial to get both!"

Yep! I just reserved my Gregory's Workshop Manual from my local council library. Then I'm gonna shop around for Ellery's 2nd hand cheap somewhere.

Want to know how to change my front brake rotors and pads first - gonna whack in some RDA's (only cause there cheap cost $140 for the pair) and Bendix GCT's for $42 for the pair.

Not sure if DBA's are better than RDA's?

I've found that AU's are sensitive to rotor disc machining - just machined my rear rotors and made no difference to the shudder, then changed my rear rotors and pads (Tyrepower installed them because of the shudder still being there for free) - but now I think the shudder is coming from the front rotors - er boy! trial and error costs time and money!

Wonder if I should change the wheel bearings also @ 94,000 klms?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban

Thanks for the tips!
Where do I find GK's "how to's" ?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
i would say ellery's, only becasue he has the reputation of having decent pics and info. not sure about the cd/download though, my guess would be no at the moment, as i havent heard of any workshop manual on disc. perhaps google it and see if it comes up with anything?

A quick search of google did not come up with anything worthwhile unfortunately.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
accurate1

Lpgguy, you asked which is the best workshop manual to get and my answer to that is the genuine manufactures, whether that is Ford, Holden, Nissan or whatever. The only problem is that they cost $150.00 plus for a hard copy or from around $20.00 on CD from ebay although I have not seen one for an AU3, BA yes. With the amount of detailed information in these manuals there is no comparison to the cheaper Ellery's, Gregories etc.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgguy

Where do I find GK's "how to's" ?
Just PM GK and I am sure he will give you the link.

Also look in the tech resources section
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Lpgguy, you asked which is the best workshop manual to get and my answer to that is the genuine manufactures, whether that is Ford, Holden, Nissan or whatever. The only problem is that they cost $150.00 plus for a hard copy or from around $20.00 on CD from ebay although I have not seen one for an AU3, BA yes. With the amount of detailed information in these manuals there is no comparison to the cheaper Ellery's, Gregories etc.

Guess what accurate1, I did get onto my local Ford dealer and do you know how much they wanted for the AUIII Genuine Ford Factory Manual - $730 - Whooahh!! Now you know why i'm lookin fer somethin else. Heh Heh!

Peterban
"Just PM GK and I am sure he will give you the link.

Also look in the tech resources section"

Will do!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
xr8ute
Back on the road

I've got the factory workshop manuals for my AU (series I).

All the detail you could ever hope for, and worth the cash if you will do a bit of work yourself IMO. Was a little over $300 for the set when I bought them about 3 years ago. The ute supplement was about $70, but I didn't buy it...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I've got the factory workshop manuals for my AU (series I).

All the detail you could ever hope for, and worth the cash if you will do a bit of work yourself IMO. Was a little over $300 for the set when I bought them about 3 years ago. The ute supplement was about $70, but I didn't buy it...
xr8,

A good buy in retrospect.

Still wondering if you can get some kind of download of any of these workshop manuals on the net?

I saw another brand of workshop manual today at the auto shop "Haynes" - but not an AU one, it cost $48 approx.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have the Haynes and the Ellery one (Hanyes for AU1, Ellery covers AU1 to 3), and both are good in their own way, though both also lack basic detail like fuel filter clips mentioned above.

Haven't tried the AU gregory's one, but had one for my EF, and it just didn't go to the level of detail I needed. I'm a bit like GK, in that I read the instructions in the manual 16 times so I'm comfortable with each step before I do it - the Haynes is actually the one I use more, as it has a much better index to look up things.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
the Haynes is actually the one I use more, as it has a much better index to look up things.
Pity their all shrink-wrapped in plastic at the shops - ya can't see what their like. But i'm gettin a fair idea from the replies.

Will get the library Gregory's (because thats all there got) and see if I can pick up a cheap copy of Haynes or Ellery's to keep.

But fer starters GK's instructions/pics are good.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #15
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgguy
xr8,

A good buy in retrospect.

Still wondering if you can get some kind of download of any of these workshop manuals on the net?

I saw another brand of workshop manual today at the auto shop "Haynes" - but not an AU one, it cost $48 approx.
Become a donating member and you can access from here
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
Become a donating member and you can access from here
Where? I didn't know about that bit? Please PM a link. Ta.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #17
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ry.php?cat=911
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
Cool. Thanks!

OT - how are those brakes going?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
lpgguy

Just bought the rotors and bendix front pads! I asked for RDA's (rotors) but got Ultima brand instead - they said they both come from the same factory. Hope there not inferior quality.

Now gotta find the time to install them!

Still waiting on the manual from the library - should arrive tommorrow.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Default Re: AUIII workshop manual OR CD

factory manual anyone?
I got one but it is crap
need more info and detailing
NCII40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post