Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
dadem0n
The Anti XLR8V8

Default Kings vs Lovells - Comfort levels

I'm keen to buy some Superlows (or combination front SL and rear UL) and am tossing up between Kings springs and Lovells springs.

Does anyone know which give the better ride quality?

Is there anywhere online with spring rates for these?

The car is a daily driver so I'd be looking for the ones with a softer ride.

Thanks.

dadem0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Kings vs Lovells - Comfort levels

the lower you go the harder they get, if you want comfort get your factory springs reset and get shocks to suit the length.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
dadem0n
The Anti XLR8V8

Are the factory spring rates listed anywhere?
dadem0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Give a mob called "Industrial Springs" a call and tell them what you want and they can custom make you whatever you're after. Back in 09 I had a set of springs made for the rear of my Fairlane and the price was very reasonable and the service outstanding. If you search their site for the download page I think there's a PDF for calculating spring rates among other things.

Here's their link;

http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/index.htm

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd recommend against lowering a car without increasing the spring rate. The vehicle will have a similar tendancy to roll and the suspension will hit the bumpstops far more often and that will actually hurt your ride quality rather than improve it.

I notice you've not mentioned shocks or bushes. Keep in mind that it's a suspension SYSTEM and everything works with everything else to give the ride and handling you experience. If you want to go lower, there are compromises- ride quality is usually one of them. That doesn't mean it has to be a complete dog though- a well set up suspension system can provide good looks, good handling and reasonable ride quality.

FYI, I have an AUIII XR8 with lowered springs from Industrial springs (Aurora), Adjustable Koni shocks and selected bushes replaced by Nolathane. The shocks work wonders and go from reasonable to quite hard with two turns. The thing I've noticed the most though is that the replacement Nolathane bushes have made the ride harsher- the rubber bushes would 'take the edge off' harsher bumps whereas the harder bushes don't do that nearly as well. I chose this route because I want the best feedback when I'm at track days but as my suspension guy said- definitely better off without hard bushes on the road. Fortunately, it's a weekender not an every day vehicle.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post