Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default BA GT-P or FG XR6T

I'm thinking about selling all my cars and getting either a BA GT-P or an FG XR6T
I know they will both be just as fast as each other but the GT-P might have a few more options and bigger brakes and more wear and tear
I plan on keeping it for over 10 years
which one is better?
i want a manual don't really care about 5 speed or 6 speed
was also thinking about a late model Monaro but its just a big VT commodore and every one of them I have seen has trim bit missing and bad paint and not much in the way of power compared to my ford options
also thinking about an FH XR6t in 2 years time maybe ex cop car if hey ever make them as that is supposed to be an F6 in XR6 clothing

BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Default Re: BA GT-P or FG XR6T

Neither, get a BFII 302 JMO
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends if you're after speed or more prestige cruiser type. The FG T is faster and more refined..but the GT is the GT..and well it's a GT. Drive both and see what you like
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG will be quicker, cheaper to maintain and better on fuel. And most likely nicer to drive.

GT is a GT.. So its still going to fast and heaps of fun... depends what you really want!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

First up nice choice of cars, The GT-P is a great tourer and sounds amazing. The XR6-T is great bang for buck.

However the FG XR6-T is much quicker in stock form than the GT. But the GT is a "GT" and the extra options like Brembo's and the like are nice. I would be going the GT if its not the daily and be getting the MkII with the 6 speed manual. The XR6-T is fast and the FG suspension is certainly better over the BA-BF set up.

Neither one is better per say, they both have there pro's and con's.
GT- Pro's...Prestige of having a GT-P, the brembo brakes, Interior with the bigger bolstered seats, it may hold its value better..........and the Sound!!!

GT- Con's... The fuel usage is quite bad, older interior/gagets (not really a bad thing), heavy feeling front end, parts will be more $$ brakes, tires etc.

FG XR6T-Pro's... Fast car in stock form, better on fuel, suspension is better than BA/BF, updated interior, updated Gearbox/Diff set up, overall a better set up car.

FG XR6T-Con's....same look as every other falcon, poor resale, doesn't have that "I own a GT feeling", doesn't have the same options as the GT.

Its all really dependent on your needs. In my opinion i'd Buy the GT and have a nice weekender but keep the daily.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
buggo
[BU66OS]

Mate I have an FG Turbo, but nothing can beat a 6 speed GT with an exhaust.
That'd be my pick.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

I would probably steer clear of an ex-police car, just my opinion.

For me it would be the FG. Lots newer, and will be a lot cheaper and easier to keep running to your desired 10 year mark. The BA GT is nearly (well is) 10 years old now. In 10 years it will be the equivilant of what an EB is now. Just trying to put it into some perspective.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

FG XR6 Turbo - 10.6L/100km (Canberra traffic)
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go GT, but get a 6spd manual too..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will be my car and not really the family car the missus wants a Territory when she is over her commodore wagon
i guess it might come down on price but i think the GT-P would be the one i'd be more proud to own
i have to sell the other cars yet so won't be happening too soon

and with the GT's does the GT-P only have big brakes or is there other things that make it better than a base GT?
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and this might sound strange my favourite car i have ever owned is a 99 AU1 XR8 ex cop car with 330,000km
I recently sold my AU3 XR8 because it was slow and falling apart and that was a 1 owner before me
we have had a few ex cop cars in our family and all have been great, dad just got a 2012 Pajero for $23000 when a new one is $54000 plus he got roo bar, whinch, lightforce lights, full service history and remainder of 5-10 warranty, pretty good deal and with the way fuel prices are a 2012 FG XR6T will be way under $20k soon and they come with brembo's and 19in rims
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GTP is more rare, will attract more attention and turn heads whereas the FG XR6T is relatively bland by comparision and pretty common. Being bland and common is not a bad thing as you won't have to worry who's gonna key it in a shopping centre or have any other wilful damage done to it. Insurance on the GTP may be considerably more as a consequence.

Get a 6 speed manual and stay away from the 4 sped auto.

As to differences GT v GTP in the BA, there are fewer differences in the BA MK2...Both have dual climate, prem sound and the 2 extra pod gauges

Differences are

- The seats
- 6/4 Brembo brakes on GTP (GT only has PBR's) ,
- powder coated grilles on GTP
- Silver coloured fins on rear of sideskirts on GTP (same colour as car on GT)
'-The steering wheel - GTP has thicker wheel as standard
- Wheels - BA has 18"s while BA Mk2 GTP has 19's

Thats about it

Cheers
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 05-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
blk6t

Good problem to have really...

Tough call to make but very different cars. Why couldn't you go a happy medium and look at the BF series FPV's. For example a BF F6 gives you the FPV but the turbo 6 motor. Plus more improvement over the BA, especially with the ZF 6 speed. Or even the BF GT and GT-P, I think were one of the best looking FPV's and were a great package.

If your fixed on BA or FG, I would have to say the FG especially if your looking at long term.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously i would go the BA GTP. I've never owned an FG Turbo but i used to own a BA Turbo & while it was a rocketship after a few mods it wasnt especially inspiring to drive. The GTP on the other hand has heaps of road presence, it just screams "GET OUTA MY WAY"! And personally i think it looks better than the FG's.

Also dont worry too much about the old 5 speed, they are a pretty tough box.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd be grabbing the GT-P given the two options, although i'd try and get a BAMKII or BF if you can stretch the budget.

Although beware these cars are not cheap to maintain to a high standard.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus the GT-P came with the analogue clock on top of the dash - that was one of the features I liked when I first purchased a GT-P, plus the 7-spoke machined alloy wheels really suited the car.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
fanboi
Banned

one has an awesome motor that is Turbocharged, one has a boat anchor its an easy choice
fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
and this might sound strange my favourite car i have ever owned is a 99 AU1 XR8 ex cop car with 330,000km
I recently sold my AU3 XR8 because it was slow and falling apart and that was a 1 owner before me
we have had a few ex cop cars in our family and all have been great, dad just got a 2012 Pajero for $23000 when a new one is $54000 plus he got roo bar, whinch, lightforce lights, full service history and remainder of 5-10 warranty, pretty good deal and with the way fuel prices are a 2012 FG XR6T will be way under $20k soon and they come with brembo's and 19in rims
FYI, The Current HWP XR6T's are running BA F6 18" Alloys, not 19" rims...

It depends, but I look at it this way. Get a GT now, because you can always get an ex-HWP XR6T at a later date.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only one thing you really need to consider is get the GT. I mean I could tell you all about both cars but you need to get the GT. Both have there pros but only one decision will get the GT. For those who didn't pick up on my subtle writing style I recommend he Get the GT.

And for those who call the boss a boat anchor that's a bit harsh considering the six's sound like boats ;)
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been thinking about it and i think a BA Mk11 GT-P 6sp manual is the go, but i'd settle for a BA GT 5 speed manual, a mk11 can be had for under $20k and a BA Mk1 i have seen down as low as $13k
I looked on carsales and the pursuit utes are cheaper than the sedans which has got me thinking
most cars i buy are fixer uppers and I have always sold them for more than i bought them, I want to spent up to $20k which i think will get me into a 2005 or older car so i don't mind if its not perfect
plus I like the trim better on the GT compared to the XR6 and I have always had a v8, plus i'll have bragging rights to say i own a GT although the XR6 might be better
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Plus the GT-P came with the analogue clock on top of the dash - that was one of the features I liked when I first purchased a GT-P, plus the 7-spoke machined alloy wheels really suited the car.
Yes, thats true. But if he gets the BA MK2 GTP he can get the pod gauges instead of the analogue clock and the 19" rims...Only downside is that the clock on the BA Mk2 FPV models (and I suspect the BF range also) is a poxy plastic thing in the centre above the windscreen.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

As others have mentioned, if you're planning on keeping to long term do your best to stretch to a BF/BF2 GT-P. The improvements Ford have made to the B series overtime is well worth the extra money.

Also a big fan of ex-cop cars, our old AU3 Forte V8, ex-police car my wife bought from the Auctions 11 years ago was one of the best cars we've ever had. She was heart broken when we got rid of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AU3 FALCON.jpg (127.8 KB, 108 views)

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
And for those who call the boss a boat anchor that's a bit harsh considering the six's sound like boats ;)
Not good boats. The best ones have v8s in them ;)
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

I think the GT will be worth more in 10 years than the XR6T. You'll be happy every time you start it too. Rumble Rumble.

IMO, The XR6T is the new VL Turbo (it's fully hectic bro)
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a BA GT, and just recently had a FG XR6 as a higher car for a few weeks.

My BA GT is a dinosaur compared to the FG. The BA felt like it was 20 years behind the times compared to driving the FG. Yes the V8 is great, but the features and gadgets of the FG was far superior over the BA and the 6 speed was great. I can see you want manual.

FH, are they even going to build it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i want a manual because i enjoy driving, I had an Auto AU3 XR8 with a few bolts on and that was a pig, it was ok but I bought it thinking it was a performance car, should have got a manual XR8
plus for fun i drive my 30 year old manual V8 commodore and I love it, no power steer, no a/c, heavy clutch, bad handling and bad brakes but it feels like your driving it not just sitting in it if that makes sense
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GT-P is a much nicer place to be when considering seat choice. To me the FG looks the part but the seats aren't as nice.
If you still struggle for a solution why not buy the F6 Typhoon? That way you get The prestige of the FPV, the turbo rush of the newer FG XR6 and the rare "Typhoon" name. That COULD mean something one day
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE View Post
The GT-P is a much nicer place to be when considering seat choice. To me the FG looks the part but the seats aren't as nice.
If you still struggle for a solution why not buy the F6 Typhoon? That way you get The prestige of the FPV, the turbo rush of the newer FG XR6 and the rare "Typhoon" name. That COULD mean something one day
I thought they dropped the Typhoon name after the BF?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #29
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ yep not called a typhoon anymore. It's a "FG F6 310"
Also too the ex cop xr6 turbos aren't a "f6 in sheeps clothing" they are a standard xr6 turbo.

If your willing to wait for a FH turbo why not get a FG GT (older 315 models)? Get the best of both worlds then
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
GTP-814
love the quad cams

i'm bias, BA GT-P all the way & they are now relatively cheap (unfortunately)
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post