Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Mum looking at buying a Fiesta

Hi Fiesta Gurus,

I am doing some research on the Fiesta for my 60 something Mum. She is looking at something that is reliable enough, fixable by the owner (or owners son, cough cough) and something that she can drive into the ground.

I've read and heard only good things about the little pocket rocket, but what she is looking for is something that will meet it's final owner and buzz to and from shops etc whenever she feels the need.

It must be a manual, it will be in the cheapest bracket and will have approx 200,000kms. Between a 2007 and 2010 model most likely.

I've searched for known issues, and they seem to be few and far between really in the grand scheme of things (either that or the Ford Forums doesn't hold a lot of members with the Fiesta?).

From what I have read the following are potential issues:
  • DSG (not that is an issue as she wants a manual)
  • Soft mag wheels
  • Soft brake rotors?
  • Manual seems to jump out of 2nd (manual) in a particular model?

Are these little motors capable of 300K+ kms motoring, or is it best to get lower kms and sacrifice some of the gadgets for reliability. She isn't afraid of high kms as we are a Falcon family with many cars well in excess of 500K kms on the clock with no issues in our history.

Anyway, any thoughts and experiences are hugely appreciated.

Thanks all.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mum looking at buying a Fiesta

Looks like you've got a few options. Avoiding the DCT will save potential trouble, though we never had any problems with ours (a WT). The WS is worth a look as it was German built as opposed to the Thai built WT - most people who have seen both seem to think the German was better built. Depends on your budget, I suppose, as to the way to go. Lower kilometres is always good on a small car, but then there may be more gadgets to go wrong in a later car.... The WZ is the newest car in the below section, and the Metal is a WS with a few more herbs (98kw up from 88).

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/for...s/?sort=~Price

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

We have found a few Fiestas that look like they fit the bill BUT...

Most only leave their email, and after 2-3 days of waiting, there's been no responses! REALLY annoying! Why would anyone only leave an email address when they are trying to sell something! If they are THAT concerned about their privacy, sell it through a dealer or broker or something...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 09-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve had two. A WP bought at 90,000kms sold at 220,000. Dad did a fair bit of preventative maintenance to it in the time we had it and honestly it drove and went brilliantly the day we sold it.
I also had a WT zetec from new sold at 60,000kms. Never had any issues with it.

I should note both cars were manual.

Timing belts are due on all fiestas are 10 years or 150,000kms. We did the WP at about 120,000 as the water pump started leaking, so may as well do both.

If you can find a tidy example with a good service history I do not see why you would not have a reliable little car.

Things to think about, WP, WS had rubbish air conditioning and soft alloys. WTs improves in both of these areas. The WT was made in Thailand, rest made in Germany. The WT had a pretty cheap feeling interior that I found was prone to rattles. Otherwise they really are solid cars in my opinion and experience.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

I had a WT manual 2012 base model (CL). I sold it December 2017 5.5 years old at the time, I had 89,000 Km on it. No problems at all except one spark plug at 50,000 Km I had check engine light. Spark plugs are due for replacement at 60,000 Km, so really I'd call no problems at all. Cracker little car. I sold it for just $6,000 december 2017. I think manuals are a harder sell, so you'll probably find private sales negotiable. Only reason I sold it was moving from Sydney to Queensland, the Fiesta was my Sydney commuter, and I have 3 other cars as well. Just too hard with 4 cars and no fixed abode after selling up in Sydney and moving to Qld.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

I've come across a little XR4! But apparently it needs a new water pump. Is this something that can be replaced without needing to remove half of the accessories? Or even pull the motor?

Sorry I know almost nothing about these little cars.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I've come across a little XR4! But apparently it needs a new water pump. Is this something that can be replaced without needing to remove half of the accessories? Or even pull the motor?

Sorry I know almost nothing about these little cars.
So the XR4 will be a bit different as they squeezed the 2L from the focus into it. Fantastic cars but not too sure what is involved water pump wise. The 2L is a timing chain however. No need to replace.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
zabatron

I owned an XR4 from new.Water pump on it failed at 30000km,and was replaced under warranty.It failed again at @60,000 km.Very common problem on these.Water pump actually not that hard to replace, need to remove drivers side headlight to gain access to water pump bolts,but you will need to get under car to access drive belt tensioner as well so you can remove drive belt from water pump pulley.Much easier to do if you have access to a hoist,but not too hard to do at home with ramps/stands.Got rid of it at 90,000km due to numerous issues including burnt gearbox fluid/poor shifting, cracked washer bottle,2 failed rear wheel bearings,constantly blown headlight globes and failed drivers door lock mechanism making it impossible to lock car.None of these were cheap to fix.
If buying one of these cars,get it thoroughly checked by a professional,and dont get one with stripes as every idiot and his dog will want to race you.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Well, Thanks everyone for your help and advice. She has decided to not go a Fiesta after all.

When all is said and one what she wanted was a Compact SUV in the same vein as the 2 door Rav4. So She now wants a EcoSport/Kuga or ix35. Which I think is a smart move considering she does talk about her knees not being what they used to be.

She will save more and see how we go in a few months.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 29-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Hi all,

Still haven't found the car for Mum. She's been umming and ahhhing about her next car.

I'm still pushing for Fiesta or Focus, but it's the height that she keeps getting hung up about.

So.... Can a set of coil overs raise the car an inch or two without causing issues or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 29-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

Maybe look at manual rav4s. The ones in the age range came in a manual. They have the ride height. They arent a large car by any means. With age, the only real issue is valve stem seals, but thats only on cold start. And only with monster kays. Resale might be a bit up there for a second handy, but typically those cars are that booring that they didnt get driven hard.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #12
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would also check out Hyundai i30 around 2013 or so
I would have thought climbing in and out of a suv would be harder on knees
Try a couple at a car yard and see if it suits her
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #13
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Thanks everyone. She wants smaller than a Rav 4, fact is she stepped out of a 3 door which was babied and was developing done serious issues with the engine and transmission. The cost to repair it was way more than a more modern car that meets her needs. Also driving standards up here are pretty deplorable and she has only driven a handful of times a year for over a decade, so something safer than the Rav 3 door was a must.

Brothers wife has an i30, it's too low and uncomfortable for her apparently.

She's also 5 foot 10, so taller than many woman, and little SUV's are actually easier. Which I get being a slightly above average 6 foot 6.

She also has a 8k hard ceiling...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 29-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #14
Kicking back

A suziki xcross?
Old 30-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Just found a bunch of Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 doors... That could work.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 30-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

we've had both fiesta and i30 and both were great little cars in a manual but I wouldn't touch either in an auto. I'd stay a long way away from an ecosport too. The basic concept was good but the execution by the south American's was awful

hate to say it on this forum, but Kia Rio or Picanto?

if she can stretch to new (or get good finance) Puma looks like it ticks most of the boxes
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #17
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Just found a bunch of Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 doors... That could work.
That sounds fitting if she doesnt typically have rear seat passengers. Short wheelbase, higher driving position. They did do rav4s in a 3 door but i think theyre too old for what you're looking for. Im guessing because its for your mum you dont really want to buy someone elses problems.