Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default My ZF Auto - Paddle Shifter Idea

I've always wanted and have waited for someone to bring out an aftermarket paddle shifter kit that can be fitted to the ZF auto.

(Driving the FG XR6T ZF auto in manual mode is just so much fun)

At one time, I recall there was a kit on EBay, which is unfortunately no longer available or produced.

There was also a member on here (I forget his name) who was trying to get a kit to market, but I believe it never eventuated.

Then it got me thinking... Being an ideas man ... Instead of trying to develop a paddle shifter kit that integrates "electronically" with the autos manual mode module (which of course would be best) ...
As an alternative, why not have some sort of extension angled bar that can be clamped to the base of the ZF gear shifter and can be easily removed (using some sort of quick release clamp) , that extends up near the steering wheel.

To illustrate my idea, I've put these two concept images together;

The above concept images are just to give you an idea of what I am on about.... The actual extension bar of course would need to be designed and angled in various ways both horizontally and vertically to allow the shifter to go from "Park" to "drive", and clear the dash as well as the steering wheel. Also would not get in the way of turning the steering wheel, when the shifter is moved left and right from Drive mode to Performance mode.

Since the shifter is simply pushed forward or backwards to change gears up or down when in manual mode... The extension bar would require very little force or effort to change gears because of the extra "leverage" the bar would give you.

Of the two ideas (Paddle or knob)... I think the extension bar terminating in a knob, would be a better idea.

Call me crazy, and I'm sure there are many reasons why this would not work.... But I'd like your thoughts never the less.

Not even sure if a mod like this would be legal ?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My ZF Auto - Paddle Shifter Idea

At one time, I recall there was a kit on EBay, which is unfortunately no longer available or produced.
Yes l do remember the kit on e-bay as however there is other a kit call diff- shift for four speed auto transmission however it was easy to make with few electronic part but not for latest 6 speed auto
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Either speak to Jim in WA ... or data_mine in ACT ... they were both looking into doing paddle shifters at some point for the ZF. Not sure how far they got with progress though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Other brand's OEM paddle kits will be attached to the steering wheel, and will use spare conductors in the clock spring cable. You would need at least 3 conductors to have good design of the signals for the two paddles.

The Ebay FG paddle kit that was for sale earlier, were two paddles fixed to the steering column cover, and they almost covered the instrument cluster. In other words the paddles didn't rotate with the steering wheel.

That long mechanical stick you suggested in the photos does look very scary / dangerous. Having a long metal arm near the steering wheel would be unacceptable. Any sharp metal objects attached to the gear selector, near the steering wheel / airbag etc, can't be done like that. The Ebay paddles in front of the speedo were bad enough, but small, and probably not a danger in itself.

Engineering a paddle kit that integrates well with the FG would take quite some effort. First to find another clock spring unit with more conductors, and then to install for example the BMW motorsports paddles, which alone cost a fortune to purchase. Is there any other Fords that have OEM paddles? Focus perhaps? Any other US models?
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
MsGS
Banned

What is the advatange of the paddle shift over the regular shifter
MsGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGS View Post
What is the advatange of the paddle shift over the regular shifter
The only real advantage with true paddle shifters mounted on the steering column is to keep your hands on or close to the wheel when manually changing gears for safety reasons.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Could something like a TS-50 AU Falcon setup be adapted to the FG?

Last edited by malazn mafia; 12-10-2016 at 10:34 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I've always wanted and have waited for someone to bring out an aftermarket paddle shifter kit that can be fitted to the ZF auto.

(Driving the FG XR6T ZF auto in manual mode is just so much fun)

There was also a member on here (I forget his name) who was trying to get a kit to market, but I believe it never eventuated.

Then it got me thinking... Being an ideas man ... Instead of trying to develop a paddle shifter kit that integrates "electronically" with the autos manual mode module (which of course would be best) ...
As an alternative, why not have some sort of extension angled bar that can be clamped to the base of the ZF gear shifter and can be easily removed (using some sort of quick release clamp) , that extends up near the steering wheel.

To illustrate my idea, I've put these two concept images together;

The above concept images are just to give you an idea of what I am on about.... The actual extension bar of course would need to be designed and angled in various ways both horizontally and vertically to allow the shifter to go from "Park" to "drive", and clear the dash as well as the steering wheel. Also would not get in the way of turning the steering wheel, when the shifter is moved left and right from Drive mode to Performance mode.

Since the shifter is simply pushed forward or backwards to change gears up or down when in manual mode... The extension bar would require very little force or effort to change gears because of the extra "leverage" the bar would give you.

Of the two ideas (Paddle or knob)... I think the extension bar terminating in a knob, would be a better idea.

Call me crazy, and I'm sure there are many reasons why this would not work.... But I'd like your thoughts never the less.

Not even sure if a mod like this would be legal ?
Cables rods and linkages , you are speaking my favorite technology now ....and from my era , No doubt you could do it if you where determined enough and wanted to put the time and effort into it , which i think would be considerable , imo there would be better ways of doing it though .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Nah never work, the fg will never be as awesome as a t series au!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the clamped on extended shift thing would end up driving you nuts , just for the simple reason of being there and being in the way .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i think the clamped on extended shift thing would end up driving you nuts , just for the simple reason of being there and being in the way .
My thought would be to have some sort of "quick release" style clamp maybe with a curled knob screw, so you could easily remove it.

The idea is you could quickly install it for example on "track days" or just those times when you wanted some fun and spirited driving.

It would also be possible, taking the design one step further, for it to have a lower "locking joint" with quick release so you could fold it out of the way... Maybe towards the passenger side, on downwards towards the back of the console.

Anything is possible with a bit of lateral thinking and "thinking outside the square"

Most people reading this post probably think its a stupid idea and I'm mad, but I have bounced the idea off a number of friends with FG Falcons with ZF autos and they said they would probably buy it if it was commercially available at a reasonable price point.

I have found in life as I get older many people "can't see the wood for the forest" or accept new ideas.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a video demonstrating the paddle shifters that were available, and it just looked dangerous to me. Didn't turn with the wheel, and way too big and blocking the instrument panel. Also the demo didn't actually show it working, the car was off at the time.

As for attaching a giant stick to the current shifter? I think I'd just use the current shifter as is. One thing i've found is it feels like an age between shifting manually and it actually changing gears, so I find I don't really enjoy manually shifting the ZF in any case.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...and he votes, too!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
One thing i've found is it feels like an age between shifting manually and it actually changing gears, so I find I don't really enjoy manually shifting the ZF in any case.
That's odd? ... On my XR6T when I change gears manually on the ZF, the auto changes gears instantly.... Much faster than a manual gearbox does?
Old 13-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here - the indicator on the dash changes before you've even released the lever, and the gear change happens almost instantly after that.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #16
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

There is already enough room in the FG's clock-spring to take the extra wire feeds required for paddle-shift.

Basically, you just need to connect the wires from the wheel mounted paddles, to the plug on the steering wheel side.... and from the clock-spring, down the column etc.

finding paddle shift buttons which fit nicely onto the wheel isn't an impossible task... but the resistance values would have to match those of the 6spd's Sports-shifter. They could be altered... but do need to be factored in.

Can't see why the paddles couldn't be wired into the loom from the Sports-shifter... but you may still need to move the Auto stick into the "sports auto" position, before the paddle-shifts can be used !??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #17
Danny
GT4.

Looks like a disability pack.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

One thing. The weight of that extension lever would automatically down shift when you braked hard. Whether you wanted to or not.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
One thing. The weight of that extension lever would automatically down shift when you braked hard. Whether you wanted to or not.
Think outside the square.... It does not need to be made of metal
Old 13-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #20
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
That's odd? ... On my XR6T when I change gears manually on the ZF, the auto changes gears instantly.... Much faster than a manual gearbox does?
It feels like a second or so between pulling the lever and the gear changing. Still quicker than manual, but definitely doesn't feel instant to me. The gfs car is instant, but then that's a DSG.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #21
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Can't see why the paddles couldn't be wired into the loom from the Sports-shifter... but you may still need to move the Auto stick into the "sports auto" position, before the paddle-shifts can be used !??

D
That's what I was thinking too.

As long as you can get the signal from the paddles to match the same signal that is generated by the magnet moving over the sensors for a + or - shift, then it's only a matter of moving it into sports mode, then each paddle will be the same as moving the lever in the relevant direction.

You could also make some custom plastic paddles to mount behind the 2 top spokes, pivoted from the edge of the rear cover on the steering wheel, working on microswitches mounted inside the rear cover.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #22
FPR
SUPERCHARGED V8

I know nothing of the autoelectromagicinary that would be involved but the FG steering wheel already has 2 paddles;

Mode & Cruise.

Reconnect cruise to the lower rightside unused steering wheel button.

Use the ICC instead of mode.

Speak to someone who has already attempted or considered what is required for the up and down shift signals and make use of the paddles already there.

If the paddles aren't big enough for you... make them bigger.

No easy job I'd think but if you nail it right you'll have plenty of friends for sure.

Otherwise I'd consider an extended straight shifter similar to v8supercars over your original suggestion.

Good luck 👍
FPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #23
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

ZF Auto Flappy Paddles, by data_mine.
http://www.fordmods.com/gearbox-susp...es-t66220.html

It appears that the project was not completed, but there is plenty of info there.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
ZF Auto Flappy Paddles, by data_mine.
http://www.fordmods.com/gearbox-susp...es-t66220.html

It appears that the project was not completed, but there is plenty of info there.
See ... I knew he was working on it at some point.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Just do what this guy did, its pretty awesome!

BA XR8 Sequential 6 Speed

Good luck!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #26
FPV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post

Good luck!
If its a holinger box his running it probibly worth more then the rest of the car hahahahahaha
Old 14-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #27
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Good luck!
Hardly a decent showcase of a sequential 6 speeder? More like a video of some bloke driving like a goose and a couple of giggling twats as far as I can see.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV6 View Post
If its a holinger box his running it probibly worth more then the rest of the car hahahahahaha
Don't need a Holinger, you can get sequential shifters for T56's for a few grand.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

straight cut gears........

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #30
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
There is already enough room in the FG's clock-spring to take the extra wire feeds required for paddle-shift.

Basically, you just need to connect the wires from the wheel mounted paddles, to the plug on the steering wheel side.... and from the clock-spring, down the column etc.

the resistance values would have to match those of the 6spd's Sports-shifter. They could be altered... but do need to be factored in.

D
Hi Gothefalcon,
I admire your conversion project, and technical insight.
Regarding the FG Paddle wiring, I'm not sure if it will be so easy to re-wire and re-assign some of the buttons? Ref. the wiring diagram where you can see that all the audio buttons are sharing two wires across the clock spring, just with different resistor values. As far as I can see, this circuit needs to go to the ICC, and can't go to via the gear shift switches.
Have you checked the Clock spring connector, to count any spare wires?
(Looks like too much effort to design a new electronic circuit to add more resistance values on the existing wire ).

Anyway, a totally different way would be to use a wireless RF paddle shift kit. (tiny battery in the steering wheel). There are some RF paddle kits available on various hot rod web shops / motorsports shops.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post