Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #31
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Crashes increase when speed limits dip far below engineering recommendation

I don't know why I bother, but I'll bother again.

If you can still find copies online look at the queensland annual reports into road safety. They are the most obvious examples of this because there is less noise in the data.

There was a steady downtrend in road deaths and trauma (hospitalisations) across australia from the late 70's to the 90's. In queensland the bottom was 1998 when Peter Beatie came to power. He introduced speed cameras and sent half the police force out to collect revenue traffic fines.

Traffic speed dropped from 10-20 over the limit to just under. Th decline in road trauma stopped dead, rates rose slightly and plateaued for 12 years until dramatic rises in fuel costs and reinforced passenger cells changed the numbers.

Further examination shows deaths/trauma due to excessive speed did not decrease, but due to inattention rose about 20%. This was late 90's LONG before smart phones, although the nokia effect was already evident.

When people were routinely over the limit they were watching for cops. In the process they automatically did their collision avoidance. Once they were under the limit and "safe" they switched off.

Incidentally when I encounter slow drivers who speed up in passing lanes I make sure I get past quick then slam on the brakes, slow them to about 40 so as many can get past as possible. And no I don't give a rats if I "upset" them. Give me an excuse to physically defend myself, pretty please... When I was young people learned manners with a sharp slap, I'm still a fan..
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #32
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

Default Re: Crashes increase when speed limits dip far below engineering recommendation

I have to agree with mobile phones though, it's a dodging game out there. In the past 4 years i have had two a$$holes rear end me sitting at the lights because they were on their phones. What sucks is watching them in the rearview barreling down like you're not even there while waiting for the impact. The rest of the time it's people swerving into my lane or pulling out without even looking. Everytime i look at the driver the peanuts are on their phones.

The other issue with speed limits is morons that can't sit on the limit. It's either a ****er tailgating when im on 65km/h in a 60 or some clown doing 55 in a 60. FFS just sit on the limit not under or over as it makes things safer allround.

The old chestnut of someone under the limit on single lane roads then speed up when an overtaking lane opens so you cant get around them. There is the tossers that sit up your **** when on the limit so i pull over to let them through they then decide to sit on the limit anyway. Why drive like a$$holes for the sake of it?!

I agree with the statement that lack of consideration and mobile phones are to blame in this current age.
Old 26-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #33
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySixHundred View Post
I have to agree with mobile phones though, it's a dodging game out there. In the past 4 years i have had two a$$holes rear end me sitting at the lights because they were on their phones. What sucks is watching them in the rearview barreling down like you're not even there while waiting for the impact. The rest of the time it's people swerving into my lane or pulling out without even looking. Everytime i look at the driver the peanuts are on their phones.

The other issue with speed limits is morons that can't sit on the limit. It's either a ****er tailgating when im on 65km/h in a 60 or some clown doing 55 in a 60. FFS just sit on the limit not under or over as it makes things safer allround.

The old chestnut of someone under the limit on single lane roads then speed up when an overtaking lane opens so you cant get around them. There is the tossers that sit up your **** when on the limit so i pull over to let them through they then decide to sit on the limit anyway. Why drive like a$$holes for the sake of it?!

I agree with the statement that lack of consideration and mobile phones are to blame in this current age.
Best feature of my Alfa? Super bright rear fog lights that guarantee to back off the tailgaters!
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #34
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Best feature of my Alfa? Super bright rear fog lights that guarantee to back off the tailgaters!
no match for my driving light pointed up slightly into your rear view mirror
nah... the missus no longer allows me to use my flashers to get rid or right lane hogs i just wait impatiently now until i can get past and then clean my window.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #35
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It's not a matter of what you got under the hood, the problem in the above photo is I can't see what's coming the other direction to try chop a group of bunched up cars.

The speed up thing is rediculous I've been in situations where we've been doing 80 then for some reason we're doing 120km/h for the duration of the overtaking lanes then back down to 80?
I had some clown who I was following on country highway for say 60km all fine sitting on cruse control 100KM/H and then when the overtaking lane came up the clown dropped down to 80KM/H before the lanes went into 2 why the hell would ya do something so stupid ! it's a start of a hill, so that means a truck has to take so much longer to over take such a moron, I am sure that people like that are just trying to be playing games on the road, I think that they get a kick out of such things, I really do.

Why not just come up to the passing lane and drop back to 80 KM/H in the left lane for crying out loud.

It's the same with all the dicks that speed up in the left lane when coming to over taking lane, I just do not get it if I was in the Highway patrol I would go them, not to mention that their should be a education program on TV to stamp this madness out.

I believe all people should be made to do an advanced driving course or they go back to P plates.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #36
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

Quote:

Nice im considering to rig clear strobes to my hazards and flick them on as a warning. Although i think my towbar (was considering removing but wont now) makes them hesitate alittle. Thing is i have a family nowadays and would like to make it home to see them.

I just don't get it, not everyone wants to do 80 in a 60 when they need their license. I usually drive a couple of kms over @ around the 62 mark so i don't get a ticket as i need my license for work. But when im doing the absolute limit 65 IN the LEFT lane (for their sake) and the right is free for them to overtake yet they decide to still sit up my ****, i question their mentality.

If everyone just did the speed limit not under or over and had some consideration it would cut fatality's and fender benders dramatically. Last rear ender was when my Mrs was in the car @20 weeks pregnant. I was ropeable and the ****er then decided to do a runner. People just don't think till my 120kg **** decides to approach them.
Old 27-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #37
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is one of the maps by WA Road safety commission;

https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/getattachm...spx?lang=en-AU

This map is from the southern parts of the state where people go holidaying. For example look at the road between Albany and Mt.Barker.

I used Google Map and satellite view to have a look at that road. Not many bends, almost in a straight line. No divider between directions. A number of intersections. Probably 110 limit. Seems to have been 5 fatal accidents between 2013 and 2017, and approx. 5 accidents listed as hospitalised.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #38
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fact is we all think we're great drivers and that we should be able to drive above the speed limit because we're that 'good' in our own minds. Hence we look for justification for us to do this and ignore road safety studies and experts. We even resort to belittling the advice from real experts and instead latch onto random stuff like this to fly our flag.

Re talk about compulsory advanced driving courses. They are actually an unproven benefit and for some people may give them an unwarranted and irrational sense of their own skill
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
There's only 4.5 Minutes difference between doing 80KPH & 100KPH over 30 Km distance, what's the rush?
4.5 minutes makes the difference between getting to work on time or late

I use my phone and drive all the time - speed limits are so low and traffic that bad when you get into Melbourne that it's a minor risk.

Seems to be a very Melbourne centric thing, caught up with my Adelaide counterparts at their branch and one was saying he couldn't believe how openly people use their phones driving around Melbourne, no one hides it, everyone does it.

With speed limits I'm generally doing speed limit + 20km/h as it's just a few points and a few hundred bucks

So if it's the Tullamarine Freeway I'm doing 120 in the 100 sections, 100 in the 80 sections and if it's the 110 limit on the Calder I do 128km/h because of recent changes in VIC

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-08-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #40
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Fact is we all think we're great drivers and that we should be able to drive above the speed limit because we're that 'good' in our own minds. Hence we look for justification for us to do this and ignore road safety studies and experts. We even resort to belittling the advice from real experts and instead latch onto random stuff like this to fly our flag.

Re talk about compulsory advanced driving courses. They are actually an unproven benefit and for some people may give them an unwarranted and irrational sense of their own skill
Nonsense, when has ones skill been a problem. it's stupidity that's the problem and ignorance.

How many fools nowadays think that they are a hero because they claim not to speed ? but that's the only thing that they idolise to their Political Correct gods and to hell about anything other, be it bald tyres you name it, to being a total moron on the road.

Had one drip stop on the highway when a semi was coming out on to the highway from a farm and their is a hill that someone could of come over and got wiped out. but no some drip blocked the road with the truck blocking the highway. well the semi had to pick up some speed to get out on to the highway safely instead of chugging out. truck driver was yelling what the f are you doing you moron get moving you fool, but no the drip insist in his nonsense and to block the highway off in a hell of a dangerous spot.

Just last week some goose parked in front of my mates driveway just to be a pain blocking him off. he wants to get his head bashed in. I said to my mate that he is just wanting to get money out of you, he want's to be bashed up so he can try to sue you, as their are plenty of bums like that around nowadays.
Same with the clowns with dash cam that claim that someone side wiped them but fact is that they did not even try to avoid the problem at all. I would of had many people run into me over the years if I did not avoid the idiots.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #41
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Nonsense, when has ones skill been a problem. it's stupidity that's the problem and ignorance.

How many fools nowadays think that they are a hero because they claim not to speed ? but that's the only thing that they idolise to their Political Correct gods and to hell about anything other, be it bald tyres you name it, to being a total moron on the road.

Had one drip stop on the highway when a semi was coming out on to the highway from a farm and their is a hill that someone could of come over and got wiped out. but no some drip blocked the road with the truck blocking the highway. well the semi had to pick up some speed to get out on to the highway safely instead of chugging out. truck driver was yelling what the f are you doing you moron get moving you fool, but no the drip insist in his nonsense and to block the highway off in a hell of a dangerous spot.

Just last week some goose parked in front of my mates driveway just to be a pain blocking him off. he wants to get his head bashed in. I said to my mate that he is just wanting to get money out of you, he want's to be bashed up so he can try to sue you, as their are plenty of bums like that around nowadays.
Same with the clowns with dash cam that claim that someone side wiped them but fact is that they did not even try to avoid the problem at all. I would of had many people run into me over the years if I did not avoid the idiots.
Mick, Mick, Mick.... You need some Pura Vida!!
(Or an anger management course)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #42
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Driver training is surely like proper martial arts training; the nexus of fully understanding your situation, your options, your responsibilities.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #43
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

driver training is non existent even the trainers need driver training these days
it seeming that its easier to become a driver trainer that it is getting an actual license

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #44
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

When i started driving rigs everyday for a job you become a fairly decent driver quickly. That still doesn't help much with morons, distracted driving and complete stupidity. If i was speeding, texting, tailgating or face****ing on my phone while driving the rig, id plow through atleast 7 cars before coming to a halt. There is a reason we drive slow, pay attention to the road and rules otherwise what would be a fender bender ends in a fatality.
Old 27-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
no match for my driving light pointed up slightly into your rear view mirror
One reason I use polished stainless steel headboards and rear light board on my trucks, don't get to many tailgaters flashing lights.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #46
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
…... The highway speed limit was set based on the distance it took a car in the 1970's to pull up from 70 MPH - that distance on average for a modern car is now halved, meaning limits should theoretically be increased 20 or 30 percent!.....
Can you please provide proof of your above statement re how speed limits were set in the 1970's?
A link to a credible source will suffice
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My father was part of setting the speed limits on some sections of NSW roads forty years ago. I remember tales of ad-hoc limit setting; the road engineers would have a fang, the coppers would have a bat, then they’d try to butt heads and agree on a limit that was safe/reasonable. And before then, in the golden age of freeway planning, a notion that the roads being penned, would one day enable drivers to travel safely at 100MPH.
Old 27-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #48
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have lived and driven in Indonesia and Viet Nam.
Traffic Lights have countdowns on them. Cars line up FULL WIDTH across the road, then on green race race to get across to the correct side.
The number of "lanes" in a road, is determined by the number and size of vehicles present at any given time.
When approaching head-on, the rules are simple. Bikes giveway to Scooters, Scooters giveway to Cars, Cars giveway to Trucks, and Pedestrians giveway to everything.
Crushed Road-Base is produced by putting large rocks on the road and letting you drive over them.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 02:33 AM   #49
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure Indonesia and Viet Nam have a fatality statistics that wouldn't be acceptable in Australia.

I saw something on the RSC website describing that if everyone had the latest and safest vehicle in their size class then there would be 35% or 40% less fatalities. Obviously that will not happen, but every few years the cars will in average be a little safer.

I'm also sure a whole lot of fatalities happens after dark, with inexperienced drivers, often with a party going on in the car, or even with the driver influenced by something, and definitively not sticking to the speed limit. Not sure what can be done against that either, just hoping it will not wipe out someone innocent on their way from A to B.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #50
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Where I live, “road rules” (though they DO apparently have them) are never obeyed or enforced.
Double yellow lines mean nothing, 40kph school zones zilch, breathalysers (never heard of em) ANY speed limit... WGAF!... with Police being some of the biggest culprits too!
You must also consider that virtually every Tico (Costa Rican) is a 1st generation driver.... Their Dad was riding a horse 15-20 yrs ago... Cars were purely for the rich up North.
The road toll, naturally, is also horrendous. )And sadly we’ve seen some doozies!)
To attempt to educate drivers on just what can happen at an accident scene, fatalities are openly “displayed”, where they lay, phones and cameras encouraged.... Truly Horrific stuff!
(AND bloody slows me down)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #51
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I genuinely believe selfishness is a big element in car accidents as occurring now, in Australia. People are disavowing the idea of driving being a “team” activity and making it just about them. It’s even showing with the HC and MC drivers; three abreast way too often on major suburban routes.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #52
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Mick, Mick, Mick.... You need some Pura Vida!!
(Or an anger management course)
I was the one who informed my mate how to deal with the fool who was intentionally trying to antagonise my mate. fact is that moron should be taken down to the cops and assessed. my mate could easy loos it and kill him. I only see this mate once a year and it happened when I was in his car. I would never do such a thing to anyone that this clown did, I could of been some one just out of jail a mass murder for all he knew and just shot him. chopper style.
Old 29-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #53
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
I'm sure Indonesia and Viet Nam have a fatality statistics that wouldn't be acceptable in Australia. .
Their fatalities have more to do with the mode of transport. Entire families riding on scooters, etc
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Where I live, “road rules” (though they DO apparently have them) are never obeyed or enforced.
Double yellow lines mean nothing, 40kph school zones zilch, breathalysers (never heard of em) ANY speed limit... WGAF!... with Police being some of the biggest culprits too!
You must also consider that virtually every Tico (Costa Rican) is a 1st generation driver.... Their Dad was riding a horse 15-20 yrs ago... Cars were purely for the rich up North.
The road toll, naturally, is also horrendous. )And sadly we’ve seen some doozies!)
To attempt to educate drivers on just what can happen at an accident scene, fatalities are openly “displayed”, where they lay, phones and cameras encouraged.... Truly Horrific stuff!
(AND bloody slows me down)
Sounds like Vanuatu - no road rules, do what you like lol

I saw what must have been an 11 year old kid driving his old mans Subuaru WRX in Noumea in New Caledonia, luckily his old man was next to him though.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Give me an excuse to physically defend myself, pretty please... When I was young people learned manners with a sharp slap, I'm still a fan..
Tough guy.
Old 29-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

Driving is a privilege. It's also quite simple. A big sign has a number on it and that tells you the maximum speed for that particular road. Pay attention, just drive your car and be patient. Not difficult at all.

All the people that speed past me through road works etc are still in my field of vision usually by the time the restriction is ended. They've gained themselves about 10 seconds. Bravo.

I've had people speed past me I the highway and then we'll be together again at the next town at the traffic lights.

People think they are gaining time by speeding. People think they are losing massive amounts of time when they are behind someone travelling slower than they want to travel. It's an illusion.

People latch on to studies that agrees with their thinking and dismiss others that don't as being influenced by funding etc. It's human nature.

The fact is, driving slower or faster doesn't kill anyone in itself. It's the device between the steering wheel and the seat that kills people.
Old 29-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #57
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Who is Vikash Gayah ? Seriously why are we even having this idiotic discussion?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post