Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Mickey6050
Starter Motor

Default New Mondeo

Hi All.

I have bought a new Mondeo, MC TDCI Titanium, Black.

Here are some observations and thoughts.

It's a lovely car, very good looking from the front (mother in-law thinksit's too aggressive, got to be a good thing). The rear end, not so good butpassable.

I think the wagon is the best looking wagon on the road today.

I'm up to about 5K without a hitch.

I’ve read some comments re take off flat spot and have felt the half seconddelay or lack to acceleration but as I get used the car and how to drive adiesel (my first) it seems to happen less now. When she hit her straps it allgo and have no problems merging with traffic.

Love the active cruise control. Don't like the controls on different sidesof the wheel, would prefer the Territory set up where you can coast and resumeon the same side.

There doesn't appear to be a protective stop gate on the gear shift toprevent it going into reverse whilst still going forward?? I can sit stationarywith the motor on and just keep moving between park and drive??

Auto wipers and auto headlights are great, lane drift warning is good too.

Courtesy lights in the car are good, the ones under the wing mirrors aregreat, very nice touch.

Especially like the amber warning light in the wing mirrors advising of avehicle in my blind spot.

Reasonably good fuel economy, I don't drive to achieve a good figure, mygeneral driving is in 50 and 60 K speed zones and I get 7.8 L/100 K.

A recent trip to Margaret River from Perth returned 6.8 L/100 K.

I do think the engine is a bit noisy, but when I'm inside with the windowsup I don't notice it so not really a problem for me.

Drives very well, turns into corners great.

I am a bit worried by the lack of Mondeo’s I see on the road, hope I haven'tbought something that might be difficult to sell in the future. Ford don't seem to be advertising them either?

I love the keyless entry, works a treat with the push button start.

I love the electronic gadgetry that more expensive cars are boasting about,love the drive, beautiful paint very nice and sparkley.

Oh yea I love the USB connection, the sales man didn't even know about it, Ifound it by accident when I was connecting my iPod though the connection usinga cable I read about on this site, so thanks for that. Great sound, loveturning it up.

The phone blue tooth connection is great, I just have a Nokia phone and itworks great, goes into my contacts, last calls, redial etc.

I do think Ford missed the mark by leaving out the sat nav. For this moneyit should be there, a reversing camera would be nice too, I must confess tobeing a little wary of reversing the Mondeo, could be a new car also.

Kind regards
Michael

Mickey6050 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Mondeo

Glad you like it. I wouldn't worry about the lack of Mondeos on the road - should actually help to keep the resale value.

Not sure if that delay is all turbo lag, I think part of it is the Powershift sorting itself out. Ford will probably have a software upgrade at some stage that will help. The MA/MB don't do it to the same extent.

And the fuel consumption will continue to improve. Diesels take a long time to fully run in.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
rxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey6050
Hi All.

I have bought a new Mondeo, MC TDCI Titanium, Black.

Here are some observations and thoughts.

It's a lovely car, very good looking from the front (mother in-law thinksit's too aggressive, got to be a good thing). The rear end, not so good butpassable.

I think the wagon is the best looking wagon on the road today.

I'm up to about 5K without a hitch.

I’ve read some comments re take off flat spot and have felt the half seconddelay or lack to acceleration but as I get used the car and how to drive adiesel (my first) it seems to happen less now. When she hit her straps it allgo and have no problems merging with traffic.

Love the active cruise control. Don't like the controls on different sidesof the wheel, would prefer the Territory set up where you can coast and resumeon the same side.

There doesn't appear to be a protective stop gate on the gear shift toprevent it going into reverse whilst still going forward?? I can sit stationarywith the motor on and just keep moving between park and drive??

Auto wipers and auto headlights are great, lane drift warning is good too.

Courtesy lights in the car are good, the ones under the wing mirrors aregreat, very nice touch.

Especially like the amber warning light in the wing mirrors advising of avehicle in my blind spot.

Reasonably good fuel economy, I don't drive to achieve a good figure, mygeneral driving is in 50 and 60 K speed zones and I get 7.8 L/100 K.

A recent trip to Margaret River from Perth returned 6.8 L/100 K.

I do think the engine is a bit noisy, but when I'm inside with the windowsup I don't notice it so not really a problem for me.

Drives very well, turns into corners great.

I am a bit worried by the lack of Mondeo’s I see on the road, hope I haven'tbought something that might be difficult to sell in the future. Ford don't seem to be advertising them either?

I love the keyless entry, works a treat with the push button start.

I love the electronic gadgetry that more expensive cars are boasting about,love the drive, beautiful paint very nice and sparkley.

Oh yea I love the USB connection, the sales man didn't even know about it, Ifound it by accident when I was connecting my iPod though the connection usinga cable I read about on this site, so thanks for that. Great sound, loveturning it up.

The phone blue tooth connection is great, I just have a Nokia phone and itworks great, goes into my contacts, last calls, redial etc.

I do think Ford missed the mark by leaving out the sat nav. For this moneyit should be there, a reversing camera would be nice too, I must confess tobeing a little wary of reversing the Mondeo, could be a new car also.

Kind regards
Michael
Hi Michael, I'm looking at purchasing an MC Mondeo and found the information you provided useful.

I agree Ford Australia should have included Sat Nav as an option. Sat Nav plus many other advanced technology options are available on the UK version of the Mondeo.

However I suspect the reason Sat Nav and other options have not been included, is the car would possibly be no longer price competitive in the Australian market.

Cheers,

rxj.
rxj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Good stuff Mick, they are a great car.

I had a wagon on order and would have been very happy in t except the twins would have been a bit too squashed with my three year old.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've had my MC Zetec for just over a week now, still LOVING the car. Its no Titanium, but the standard fitout on the Zetec is enough to keep me occupied.

Mine doesn't have the Powershift either, 2.3L petrol. Still a very nice car to drive, and the 6-speed auto is beautiful.

Would be nice to have SatNav on that Convers+ screen. Would also be nice if it had some sort of limited SMS capability, just to read what's been sent quickly or even to tell you new message from someone just so I can then call them, say that I'm driving, and talk to them there instead of SMS.

Agree with the fact there's no advertising, even the salesperson commented and said its a big let down, he had someone trade a fairly new Holden Cruise in on one and apparently the customer said he wish he knew about the Mondeo sooner, he wouldn't have bought the Cruise in the first place! Then again, the scarseness of them on our roads makes them a little bit more special in my opinion ;)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
rxj

Hi,

I have decided to buy a Mondeo after taking one for a test drive on Saturday. I'm was really impressed with the car. I'm looking forward to picking it up at the end of this week. It will be my first European Ford after owning many Australian Fords in the past.

The dealers agree that it is shame there is little advertising of the Mondeo in Australia.

The sales manager believes it is related to the low allocation of these cars to Australia from Europe and Ford Australia don't want to advertise the car given they wouldn't be able to meet the sales demand that maybe generated. I don't know if this is true.

cheers,

rxj.
rxj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There may be some truth to that. There are no Mondeos in the rental fleets in NZ, although there are a common sight on our roads.
Old 24-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
vunny
Starter Motor

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Ford really has nailed it with the current M-series of Mondeos. No where can you find value for money + handling + style + quality in the one package. Recently I had the opportunity to drive a lot of the Kia Optimas and Hyundais i45 (which are meant are Mondeo's competitors). The Koreans have a lot of gadgets but just lacked the engineering substance, the confident handling and the low down power of the Mondeo.
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
clc
Starter Motor

Hi all,
First post as I bought a MC Titanium 2.0 Ecotech only2 months ago. Enjoying the car more and more as I get used to it and agree with nearly all of Michaels post. Getting 9.0 around city, I too don't drive for economy either and I expect it will improve a bit cause apparently they tune them rich up to the first service for run in...

Highly recommend the Ecotech, I was all geared up to buy the TDCi and went I went in the dealer had both there, drove them back to back and noticeably more power, good torque @ 300nm, bit quieter and $2k cheaper so that's what i bought.

Apparently you can chip them to 175kw as they are doing in Europe... We'll see..

Anyone else got an Ecotech? What do you think?

Gotta go,
Colin
clc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc
Hi all,
First post as I bought a MC Titanium 2.0 Ecotech only2 months ago. Enjoying the car more and more as I get used to it and agree with nearly all of Michaels post. Getting 9.0 around city, I too don't drive for economy either and I expect it will improve a bit cause apparently they tune them rich up to the first service for run in...

Highly recommend the Ecotech, I was all geared up to buy the TDCi and went I went in the dealer had both there, drove them back to back and noticeably more power, good torque @ 300nm, bit quieter and $2k cheaper so that's what i bought.

Apparently you can chip them to 175kw as they are doing in Europe... We'll see..

Gotta go,
Colin
I really didn't want to read that as I bought a TDCi last Feb understanding that Ford weren't bringing the Ecoboost to NZ... But I'm happy with mine plus it's very cheap to run.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

NZXR6 - just returned from 2 weeks in NZ.
I spotted a Mondeo (possibly Zetec) in the Hertz or Avis rental car yard at Turanga. Sure looked like a rental car to me !!
Parked alongside a Camry/Aurion - with the latter looking somewhat fussy style-wise.
.......And then I got back into our rental Camry to continue our trip.....boo hoo...
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc
Hi all,

Gotta go,
Colin
Colin I think you mean EcoBoost.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Mackspower

Wow - 9L/100km . . . my new MC Diesel is struggling to get 8.2 with Sydney commuter driving.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
knicho
Starter Motor

I have had my Titanium TDCI for 2 weeks - absolutely love it! The wife also likes how solid it holds the road. I agree that Ford really let themselves down on the SatNav in Oz - with such great equipment levels we only have an ordinary stereo system. Why dont Ford make the upgrade available. Has anyone had any success with a Ford Satnav conversion that ilinks to the converse+??
knicho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #15
clc
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Colin I think you mean EcoBoost.
Yeah, EcoBoost sorry...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
NZXR6 - just returned from 2 weeks in NZ.
I spotted a Mondeo (possibly Zetec) in the Hertz or Avis rental car yard at Turanga. Sure looked like a rental car to me !!
Parked alongside a Camry/Aurion - with the latter looking somewhat fussy style-wise.
.......And then I got back into our rental Camry to continue our trip.....boo hoo...
Interesting, could be supply is better or Ford NZ have more room to move on price as the Euro drops.

The Camry looks and feels very dated already. I'll bet you missed the Mondeo!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

After two weeks driving 2500kms in a Camry, I'm extremely glad I bopught the Mondeo. Ignoring the fact I have an MB XR5 (i.e. mechnicals), just the look and feel of the Mondeo is soooo much nicer. No hard plastics or tinny like the Camry, and Mondeo XR5/Titanium just oozes style and understated up-market feel, and drives so much better.

IMHO, a much better product for similar dollars.
And grossly under marketed by Ford Oz ......opportunity lost.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
After two weeks driving 2500kms in a Camry, I'm extremely glad I bopught the Mondeo. Ignoring the fact I have an MB XR5 (i.e. mechnicals), just the look and feel of the Mondeo is soooo much nicer. No hard plastics or tinny like the Camry, and Mondeo XR5/Titanium just oozes style and understated up-market feel, and drives so much better.

IMHO, a much better product for similar dollars.
And grossly under marketed by Ford Oz ......opportunity lost.
Two whole weeks driving a Camry... I hope it didn't spoil your time in NZ too much.
Old 26-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Two whole weeks driving a Camry... I hope it didn't spoil your time in NZ too much.
Beats 2 weeks driving around NZ in a *cough* Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc
Hi all,

Gotta go,
Colin
One month into ownership of Zetec 2.0 GTDi Ecoboost Powershift hatch and I have to agree with everything Colin said - im my opinion the much broarder torque curve of the petrol outweighs the increased fuel consumption.

By the book the break even point for petrol vs diesel comes in at around 92,000 klms ($2,000/((1.65cpl Diesel x 6.2l/100k)-(1.55cpl 95 RON unleaded x 8.0l/100k)))*100. In my case with the deal I came up with the break even point comes out more like 250,000klms. Goes in for 3k first service tomorrow so will be interested to see if there is any change in fuel consumption.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Bear in mind the 3K service is only a 'peace of mind' service.
They address any delivery issues not already covered at pre-delivery.
I don't recall it being a full service (jn the normal sense of the phrase).
They might check if the Ford etis site has any outstanding software fixes for for VIN.

For me, they did fix the lack of boot lamp bulb ('ex-factory delete option'), encountered by another lister also. Explains why I couldn't find that extra boot light switch........
Old 27-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
JimStone

Yeah, just the usual "kick the tyres and thrash around the block" first service - more interested in any software updates.

There is a update listed for the GEM/BCM, but not sure ETIS is entirely up to date though, still lists the U1103 for the jack label as outstanding but the new label/s have been fitted.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
clc
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackspower
Wow - 9L/100km . . . my new MC Diesel is struggling to get 8.2 with Sydney commuter driving.
Hi again all,
So as not to mislead I did quote 9l/100 for city cycle before but I must have had come freeway driving in that because I have now done another 800 or so kms and sitting on 10.2l/100. And that is definitely all city.

Loving the car though, the torque has really surprised me for a 4cyl/2ltr. Only whinge is suspension
1. The ride is not that smooth, small road bumps are felt more than most cars I've owned but this is the first car I've had with 18" low profile tyres. Maybe thats it. Running 34 in them. Handles fantastically though. I will question rough ride with dealer at some stage.
2. Lot of "scraping" noises coming from front right suspension, particularly when doing though or over something that compresses the suspension a bit, I will get this looked at soon.
Any one else with a Titanium notice the above?

Regards,
Colin
2011 Titanium Ecoboost Hatch
Old 28-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Allusion

The Titanium has sports suspension which is probably why you're feeling the bumps, the low profile tyres I tend to notice more on small things like metal speed humps in car parks.

I haven't noticed any noises coming from the suspension. It might be worth recording the noises on your phone so the dealer can't tell you it's your imagination.
Old 28-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
manamp27

After 6 years with an MY05 Liberty 3.0R sedan (a great car), I'm in the market for a brand new car and have so far test driven:
Forester XT – truck like and not refined
Accord Euro – wonderful, refined, gutless down low
Mazda 6 – as above, even more gutless

Have narrowed it down to Mondeo Titanium Hatch with Ecoboost petrol motor and the VW Jetta 147TSI.

The heart says go the Mondeo, because it's just such a complete car; outstanding to drive, great handling, comfort, wonderful motor with plenty of power, lots of features and just fully loaded. Seems to have a solid reputation locally and overseas. Worried about resale especially given an all new model is due in 2013, the height of the rear hatch door (my wife can't reach it once open, so would have to attach a strap, unless the opening height is adjustable.....also it will hit my carport roof if fully opened), the woeful rear vision, making it difficult to park, the size of the thing is enormous, horrible turning circle.

The head says go for the Jetta. In my mind it's 8/10ths of the Mondeo. Has plenty of go and handling. But feels cheap, is a little too narrow and compromised width ways, but has good legroom front and rear. Resale is strong, but reliability seems patchy with previous version, so worried about the future. Also servicing costs will be far more than Mondeo.
I really want the Mondeo, but may have to settle for the Jetta, as wife will drive it mostly and I think she'll find the Mondeo hard to live with.

Has anyone else had to contend with this type of dilemna? All opinions appreciated.
manamp27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I had noises from the rear end and the dealer had to tighten the suspension up.
Not ideal, but might be something is not as tight as it should be.
I'd be getting onto it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #26
stuart

Hello again from Germany. Arrived a couple of months ago and went on the search for a used car after selling my MA TDCi sedan to a family member befor leaving Oz.

Looked at a Bimmer (still no headroom, have to lower the seat so far you can't see over the steering wheel) and didn't make it to look at an Audi. The other problem with German cars is they charge so much for standard extras. Imagine cars being sold with parking sensors as an option - and the price! Anyway it didn't take me long to realize that the Mondeo was great value for money even in Germany and I knew what a great drive it is.

Besides that I really wanted to own a 2.2L TDCi so I checked the market and found great deals on ex-Ford employees cars. Wagons are more popular than sedans so considering resale and all, but then the missus will only drive an auto but most Germans drive manuals, narrows the options to < 5% of the Mondeo market!

Drove for 1.5 hours for a test drive to find a wagon sold from under my nose by the guy test driving before me. Waste of a weekend - all is closed on Sundays here. Back to the internet search.

Found a wagon two hours away = 190 km. Made sure I went on a work day so there weren't 100 people wanting a test drive on a Saturday.
Long story short, now a proud owner of a wagon eight months old with 7k on the clock and all the bells and whistles. New car list price was around 45k EUR and picked it up for 29.5 EUR (37k AUD) inc. set of winter tyres (mandatory these days).

During the test drive I felt a bit of vibration in the steering wheel on the small roads - realised it was the lane deviation warning system so breathed again. Also has sun roof, blind spot warning, large NAVI screen, keyless entry, reversing camera, sound and business packet II etc.

Been for Easter holiday trip to Dresden but traffic was too heavy to give it a good blast but what I did do was great. Since it only has 8.5 k on the clock it is still not properly run it.

Very happy with the car and waiting for the next holiday with long trip on the autobahns. A couple of pics attached with the temporary plates on during the test drive.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan

Last edited by stuart; 15-07-2012 at 10:24 PM.
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #27
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuart

Is there much difference between the 2.2 and the 2 L you used to own?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #28
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
stuart

Is there much difference between the 2.2 and the 2 L you used to own?

apstar
Hi Apstar,

Yes definitely a difference. There initial lag off the mark is still there but the extra power gives that nice little push into the seat. I haven't floored it yet to really test it since I wanted to get some k's on the clock with some regular running after the engine doing not much for 8 months.

There are 30 and 50 kmh zones everywhere here so I have to get out of town before hitting some speed. That said there are almost as many speeding drivers here pro rata as in Oz. Speeding fines are cheap and they are considering increasing them. The real fun is the autobahn but heavy traffic is a pain.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post