Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance for restoration

I want to know if anyone has this insurance where your car is covered while it's in the shed for a while being repaired / restored, unregistered and not being driven.

Who does this insurance, who are you insured with and how much does it cost for what ?

Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Springfield_Johny

Got a quote from Shannons for my XT $5000 cover. I don't know the full details of the coverage, such as if its being towed somewhere or parts that are not atached to the car like a guard being straightened/painted etc, but it was only $100 odd bucks a year. Which seems pretty worthwhile. I just havn't taken it up yet.

I don't know if anyone else offers this kind of service.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, my GT is insured for an agreed amount with Shannons under this type of arrangement. It's covered when on the back of a trailer going to and from places too. I think I pay about $200 per year.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
chief
FTF Club Moderator

We had a customer at work who was restoring his 1972 Jag (respray, rebuilt motor and driveline, interior etc), at his home which is about 500 metres from our workshop. When he couldn't do something himself he would bring it to us. He had the car insured for $10,000 while under restoration including travel to workshops for a premium of $120 a year.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
UtesRGR8

I have just taken out a policy with Shannons for my xy ute, just $140.00 per year for peace of mind.
UtesRGR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had one of my cars insured like this with Shannons aswell, had it sitting at the top of the driveway unregistered while doing work to it and was covered for things like accidental damage, theft etc etc for a good price
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a quote from Shannons for my daily driver and they said the could also do me a deal on any unregistered cars I had in storage etc
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

As others have said, Shannons do it. It is called Layed up Insurance and is cheaper than the Insurance for a registered driveable Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
smally289
growing up is optional

Had my XY insured this way with Shannons. The good thing is that all the components are covered even if they are in different places being restored / repaired or whatever. The cover when on a trailer is definitely a big plus!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post