Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Default Interesting read regarding hummers

http://www.goldcoast.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=46616

Quote:
Hummer invasion

Our pick
The baby version of the US military's favourite 4WD is eyeing Australia.

Editorial

Four-wheel drive backlash? What backlash? Just when you thought Australia had enough four-wheel drives Holden is reportedly considering selling the latest baby Hummer.

General Motors vice-chairman for product development, Bob Lutz - the person who fast-tracked the Monaro's export to the United States - sees an international future for the go-anywhere military lookalike four-wheel drive, reports on-line industry journal, goauto.com.au.

Holden chairman and managing director Denny Mooney, says Lutz is "playing around" with the idea of Hummer being more of a global brand. The website says that Lutz feels the Australian market could be a natural for a rugged, outback kind of vehicle.

According to goauto.com.au, Lutz's desire to spread the Hummer brand could reflect sliding sales in the US, where rising fuel prices have had an impact. Sales of the full-size H1 are down 65 per cent this year compared with 2003 and sales of the smaller sibling, the H2, are down 27 per cent.

"We've got enough on our platter at the moment, frankly. Bob has bugged me about it more than I have thought about it," the website quotes Mooney as saying.

Because of its bulk, the original H1 military vehicle does not appear to be under consideration for Australia. The smaller H2 is not presently available in right-hand drive. But the even smaller Hummer, the H3, could be a possibility.

The H3, which made its debut at the recent California motor show, would appear to be the best prospect and Mooney says the vehicle's architecture could allow a right-hand drive conversion.

It is likely it would follow the arrival of another American icon, Cadillac. Despite strenuous denials by Holden, General Motors executives in the US have said the revival of the Cadillac brand in Australia is a formality and imminent.

How many Hummers are there?
H1 is the most closely related to the military vehicle; the others simply have the military look. The H1 is powered by a 6.5-litre turbodiesel V8 engine that produces 152kW, hauling a kerb weight of 3428kg. It comes as a wagon or an open top.

H2 is the first of the GM-inspired vehicles with the Hummer look and is powered by a 6.0-litre V8 petrol engine that produces 242kW. It weighs 2909kg and is sold as a wagon or, in the latest version, as a four-door vehicle with a small utility tray at the back.

H3 is powered by a 3.5-litre turbocharged in-line five-cylinder petrol engine that produces 260kW. It is claimed to match the V8 H2 in acceleration. It is 430mm shorter, 152mm lower and 165mm narrower than the H2 and it sits on a three-piece welded ladder frame with boxed sections for strength. It has torsion bar front suspension and a multi-leaf-sprung rear suspension and is claimed to be able to ford water up to 61cm deep and to be able to climb 40cm vertical steps.
go the h3

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
paul7v7
bring it on

my pick would be the H1. The original and the best.
paul7v7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

What about the torque, in something like a hummer I would think the torque would be more important then the kW...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
my pick would be the H1. The original and the best.
:werd:

H1 > dog poop > H2 > H3

Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

yeah, a 5-cylinder hummer just isnt really right; hummers are invincible death-mobiles, and the 6.5l turbodiesel would be the way to go. it was just the step-climbing thing that got me :P

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The production H3 wont get the Turbo engine (initially anyway)
Just a 220hp N/A version of it.

Price will be around US$30k, or about the same price as a V8 Explorer XLT which retails for $55k here.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

i saw hummer and i thought something else....
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Let me guess it will be called the Holden Adventra??
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

I like the way they say "the Australian market could be a natural for a rugged, outback kind of vehicle" as though it's going to actually see rugged terrain and not be used to pick the kids up from the fancy private school in toorak. lol
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
460cixy
burn out king

hummer look alike bodys on chev 4x4 chassie not no my shoping list at all
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I saw a Hummer in Sydney on Christmas Eve. I have also seen one here in Greensborough about a year ago...and they certainly catch your attention. Don't think it would be a bad move by Holden to attempt to bring them in...they already have recognition worldwide.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 01:26 AM   #12
460cixy
burn out king

any one remember the suberban? that took off like a lead baloon. most aussies are too raped up in nissans and toyotas and hype to buy an over sized over priced yank machine . with no more off road ability than a daihatsu scat
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post