Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default THE SAFETY CAMERA FLASHEd !!!!!

coming home after work tonight , i went through a set of lights on the green which has just been upgraded from a red light camera to a safety camera , i thought this was a 70 zone , however i went trhough at over 60 and under 70 . not sure because i didnt look at the speedo until i seen a flash in the rear, but the dial was about 1/2 way between 60 and 70 when i looked, i never braked either . . anyhow my question is this . THIS WAS a 3 LANE ROAD, and i had 2 CARS right next to me , so the 3 CARS went through together, i dont know if we were all doing the same speed though . if i get booked how can i be sure it was my car the cam picked up . ?????
2ndly about 100metres past this intersection there is a 70 speed sign (NSW)
I thought there was a 200 metre rule or there abouts in relation to speed cameras and changing speed zones .
3rdly . what is the minimum fine and points loss for speeding in nsws.
4thly . i havent been booked for speeding for 15 years !!! i'm diliegent with speed at all times , i spend 3 hours in the car each day travelling the same route and go through 4 fixed speed cameras each way daily + mobile ones too . i feel a little dissapointed if i have been pinched under all of these scenarios ??
can anyone answer these questions for me and give me some valid ADVICE PLEASE ?

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
billkara

which road??

i think one of the other cars was speeding.. but i have also heard (not sure how true this is) that the cameras flash every now and then for calibration. i think your safe
billkara is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

You'd be looking at 1 demerit point and $90. However with a 15 year clean driving record you would be on good grounds to get off with a caution, as long as you ask nicely.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
gtfpv
GT

thanks for the prompt advice guys . billkara : about the flashing calibration last night i was coming home around the exact same time, the car travelling infront of me went through it and it flashed too , perhaps this is co incidence ,or you could be right .
Adrenaline THANKS . at worst it's a small fine and only 1 point . that's great to know .
Old 28-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The loop in the road is what triggers the camera and I'm quite sure it'll be able to indicate the lane that triggered the flash.

I think you should be right, champ. You'd have to be touching right up on 70 for a 'safety camera' to ping you in a 60 zone (given a decent tolerance and speedo likely reading high) - though it does appear you were below the limit in a 70 zone.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
desGT

Quite often going down Spencer St (Northward), camera on corner with Dudley flashes. I know I am will within the limit, and never been booked. Have had camera down Kings Way do the same.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

If u get a fine pm me and I will send u a pro forma letter which should get off with a caution
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

thanks for all the info and advice . cheers
Old 28-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i asked that question once about car mounted cameras in multi lane roads because i'd been overtaken in the left lane by an idiot and the flash went off. i was concerned because i was in the lane normally used for overtaking. i was told that there was a way of determining which car was the one to trigger the camera and not to worry.

as mentioned above though, in the case of the fixed camera, i imagine the lane sensor would be recorded??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I know the new "Safety" cameras in WA actually print the lane you were in. One of my boys got flashed speeding through a green and thought the car next to him in the right lane may cop the ticket.
The photo came with full details of lane etc.

And my wife got one the same last week

Not me, Im a good boy

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
STHSV8

You should be ok. Same thing happened to me. I got a warning letter in the mail. It seems there is a period of grace from the RTA.
STHSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

king georges road . just off the M5
Old 28-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
You'd be looking at 1 demerit point and $90. However with a 15 year clean driving record you would be on good grounds to get off with a caution, as long as you ask nicely.
WOW. In SA it is $196 at this moment for a FIRST offence of up to 14ks over the limit. Any offence after that is more and i also hear it is about to go up by 50% on Jan1. OUCH.....you guys have it lucky.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
FgNewbie
Australia

all the NSW speeding penalties
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul.../speeding.html

wow you can lose 3 to 18 points in seatbelt penalties
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...seatbelts.html
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
WMD351
Size it up

GTFPV, you say the camera has just been upgraded? Here in Vic when they first install or upgrade a camera, they seem to spend a lot of time calibrating them before they go live. During the first few weeks of a cameras life, I've seen some go berko and flash just about everything and sometimes even flash empty intersections.
They can't just put one up and start handing out fines straight away as it needs to be certified first, although I'm sure they'd be looking at changing this
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
GTFPV, you say the camera has just been upgraded?
Had a whole bunch of red light cameras upgraded to being speed cameras as well.. mistakenly labelled safety cameras.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's definitely a 70 zone - going up and over the hill towards Roselands shopping centre?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
mark300

Quote:
Originally Posted by STHSV8
You should be ok. Same thing happened to me. I got a warning letter in the mail. It seems there is a period of grace from the RTA.
out of interest mate if you dont mind me asking, when did you get picked up?

i got done by a safety camera on pennant hills rd last friday night and im wondering if i can expect a fine or not. ive been hearing theres still a grace period on safety cameras. rotten things....
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Had a whole bunch of red light cameras upgraded to being speed cameras as well.. mistakenly labelled safety cameras.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's definitely a 70 zone - going up and over the hill towards Roselands shopping centre?
yeah thats the one . i'm not so sure its a 70 zone though anymore . its just after a school zone too, so it is 40 during the day ,but 60 at night then 60 then 70 i think . being a rotating shift worker . this will get very very hard driving to work , seeing that it seems we are going to be going to variable speed safety cameras according to what time it is .

also i'm not sure , but it seems this set of lights , maybe a 60 zone on the north side , and 70 on the south side , i'm pretty sure its smack in the middle of a speed change zone .
Old 29-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #19
gtfpv
GT

[QUOTE=Rodp]Had a whole bunch of red light cameras upgraded to being speed cameras as well.. mistakenly labelled safety cameras.

if you know king gearges road at all Rodp , you will agree that "safetycameras " at lights on this road will cause deaths . I HAVE ALREADY NOTICED THE ORANGE LIGHT TIME HAS BEEN REDUCED , others have mentioned it as well , so i dont think this is my mind singling out from others opinions , anyhow , This is very heavily used by trucks with containers on them , people are going to be forced to take the risk and hit the brakes to stop at amber lights . trucks will not agree with this principle . i really am disgusted about the govt doing this to major arterial roads in civilian areas . there would have to be atleast 10 speed changes over 8 kms of this road + roadworks , and mobile speed cameras too .along with variable speed changes during the day . FOOKOON LUDICRUSS
Old 29-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
Corzza

You should get a warning in the post. If it is a new safety camera

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

DO you feel safer now??
Old 29-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
Marduk
BFII XR6

I had the same thing happen to me but I was doing 95 in an 80. I never received a fine so maybe you will get lucky as well. Mine was definitely a camera both my passenger and I saw the flash.

If you have a 15 year clean record you will be able to get off the fine with a warning at least.
Old 29-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
mark300

i got done by the one on pennant hills road last friday night. just waiting for the fine now. hopefully the holden that was tailgating me obscured my number plate!!!
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Adrenaline THANKS . at worst it's a small fine and only 1 point . that's great to know .
Slightly off topic but...

There have been quite a few times when fines have been quashed (In NSW) but the points still get taken off.
Old 30-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #25
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's all this debate about "safety cameras"?
Please use the correct terminology ... "REVENUE CAMERAS".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
What's all this debate about "safety cameras"?
Please use the correct terminology ... "REVENUE CAMERAS".
I agree (suprise suprise).

I find it incredible at an intersection which is the most dangerous place on the road we are supposed to be looking at our speedo rather than scanning all the different directions of traffic. No wonder accidents at intersections have increased in SA since "safety cameras" were installed.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post