Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Speed up to get past the truck, “just in case”…. 28 20.90%
Slow down in case the truck needs to merge left quickly and/or avoid a crash. 105 78.36%
Hold your ground and speed, it’s his problem and MUST stop and give way to both of you. 1 0.75%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Seeing as the Truck driver has a better view of the road (than car drivers) ahead he should have noted the car waiting to turn right and taken the appropriate action. IE: slow down to merge left or stop.

If the Truck driver has done neither of these, self preservation on the car drivers part comes in....

1# Floor it and get past out of the way of the impending mess.

2# Jump on the brakes and get the camera ready in order to sell the pics to a tabloid newspaper.
Old 30-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
EvilNemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Seeing as the Truck driver has a better view of the road (than car drivers) ahead he should have noted the car waiting to turn right and taken the appropriate action. IE: slow down to merge left or stop.

If the Truck driver has done neither of these, self preservation on the car drivers part comes in....

1# Floor it and get past out of the way of the impending mess.

2# Jump on the brakes and get the camera ready in order to sell the pics to a tabloid newspaper.

My point exactly just worded better... It was to early in the morning and I am still at work almost finished my shift
EvilNemo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #33
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Pic related.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #34
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i'd boot it
Old 30-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #35
bingoTE50
Steve

Well I have had a similar thing happen,but I was the car turning right, an old guy in a early land rover bearing down on me with with tyres locked up and in panic mode ,so I just booted the old Kingswood v8 and took off before he could hit me.I probably save six cars by my actions. This was on Stoney Creek Rd at Beverley Hills and I was turning into the street the motor registry was/is.

Last edited by bingoTE50; 30-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on which state:

Victoria: I would actually not know it was happening as I would be concentrating on my speedo so as to remain safe.

Tasmania: I would be in awe at this amazing new thing, a road with 2 lanes, what will they think of next.

ACT: I would exit at the ring road, turn left then right then left at the 28 sided roundabout then left then left again then right then left then right then.......

NT: I would dodge the buffalo on the curb and skirt around the group of people drinking from green cans up the footpath and back onto the road near the termite nest closely followed by the truck.

WA: I would just wait awhile......

SA: Nah I wouldn't be there in the first place but then neither would anyone else really....

NSW: I would pull of onto the footpath and prepare a camera to record the accident for potential sale to "Australia wost drivers" with the added possibility of a few "Australia's funniest videos" if any one gets hurt trying to rescue victims. I would then apply for a $1,000,000 state government film grant to create a documentary how it would have only cost $1,000,000 to create an extra lane that would have prevented this accident. I would then apply for another state government grant to hold an alternative lifestyle festival featuring an interpretive dance depiction of the accident and start a round table discussion on what laws need to be created to prevent future accidents and how much revenue could be potentially raised from this to put towards a television commercial series showing how the drivers of NSW are being kept safe.

QLD: Well a flashing indicator usually means that it was on when they acquired the car and has very little to do with turning so I would accelerate heavily jumping in front of the truck then slow down forcing the truck to take evasive action so I could yell at driver of the car with in indicator on and then cut in front of him slipping between oncoming traffic while avoiding at least some of the potholes.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I dont sit beside trucks period. Unless absolutely necessary. Give them right away, much harder to stop/turn/control a truck than it is a car. Stay out of their way as best you can. When I first got my licence I sat beside a truck on the highway and one of his rear tyres let go, flung up and hit my bonnet and windscreen. Dented and scratched the bonnet and cracked the screen a little. Never again
Old 30-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #38
fmc351
let it burn

Youre all nuts. Its 50 meters. At 60km/h you cover it in 3 seconds. Its downhill, so braking distance is longer than normal. It then states closer and closer. So its down to maybe 25 meters, one of you is screwed unless youre in a phoon and then only maybe.

You should have made this decision 25 meters ago. Bend over and kiss yourself goodbye.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Coming home from work (Hume Fwy) a lot the time there is an on ramp that get a fair few cars. I will slow down to let the truck in the right lane as it helps with the traffic flow and reduces the chances of an accident (which is likely with the amount of morons who jump on there).
Old 30-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #40
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Depends on which state:

Victoria: I would actually not know it was happening as I would be concentrating on my speedo so as to remain safe.

Tasmania: I would be in awe at this amazing new thing, a road with 2 lanes, what will they think of next.

ACT: I would exit at the ring road, turn left then right then left at the 28 sided roundabout then left then left again then right then left then right then.......

NT: I would dodge the buffalo on the curb and skirt around the group of people drinking from green cans up the footpath and back onto the road near the termite nest closely followed by the truck.

WA: I would just wait awhile......

SA: Nah I wouldn't be there in the first place but then neither would anyone else really....

NSW: I would pull of onto the footpath and prepare a camera to record the accident for potential sale to "Australia wost drivers" with the added possibility of a few "Australia's funniest videos" if any one gets hurt trying to rescue victims. I would then apply for a $1,000,000 state government film grant to create a documentary how it would have only cost $1,000,000 to create an extra lane that would have prevented this accident. I would then apply for another state government grant to hold an alternative lifestyle festival featuring an interpretive dance depiction of the accident and start a round table discussion on what laws need to be created to prevent future accidents and how much revenue could be potentially raised from this to put towards a television commercial series showing how the drivers of NSW are being kept safe.

QLD: Well a flashing indicator usually means that it was on when they acquired the car and has very little to do with turning so I would accelerate heavily jumping in front of the truck then slow down forcing the truck to take evasive action so I could yell at driver of the car with in indicator on and then cut in front of him slipping between oncoming traffic while avoiding at least some of the potholes.
LMAO

Seriously though, as some others have said, if I was level with the truck cab, I'd give it a bootful and give him room to tuck in behind me.

Otherwise, back right off and let the truck through.....
Old 30-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #41
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ok, you get closer and closer, you’re extremely worried about what’s unfolding in front of your eyes, what would you do?
Obviously if you waited to this time, its too late to speed up.

The safest option is then to slow down, as long as the truck hasn't started slowing down by then.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
WMD351
Size it up

I'm a Victorian, what are these "indicator" things? I've never seen one in action before.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #43
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Yeah....
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #44
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I'd slow down and make sure the truck has plenty of maneuvering room. You have got to give the truck room to get around the car turning right.

Besides, if you speed up Constable Kodak will get you and Mr Brumby gets more of your $$$

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #45
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Depends on which state:

Gold!!!!

Flappist for VIC Premier, how about it??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #46
FocusLX06

Quote:
pure gold.
Old 31-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #47
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slow down. Let truck go through... my braking distance is a lot shorter than his/hers
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #48
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

As has been said with the better vision i would of expected the truck on the brakes already, if he hasn't hit the brakes the danger in you slowing down would be boxing him in unless we are talking about mashing the brake pedal hard and probably getting rear ended by an old fella on the way home from the RSL..

I'd be on the go pedal, if the truck is on the brakes he can merge behind me.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #49
WMD351
Size it up

If I could throw in a hypothetical for a moment, let's assume the truck is going to veer left and hit you regardless of what you do. Now under those circumstances would you rather be in the process of picking up speed or washing it off?
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post