Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #211
prasac
Banned

Default Re: TRP Racing Ford Falcon XR6T runs 9.1@159mph, update 8.48@165mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Took the car out last night to Freaky Friday - it turned out to be a great night weather wise and the track prep was pretty good because the Santos boys were out doing some more testing.

Car is running well and I was able to go a little quicker - a best time of 8.6 @ 163 mph. I am getting closer to the quickest time we have run and I am keen to push past it

Am having a blast driving it....

There are plenty of meets on in the next month or two so should be out pretty regularly.
well done mate, saw the car out there, looked good.. the boys loved your Range Rover we took the Capri out, electrical issue, one of the coils crapped itself and the thing wouldn't rev past 6200rpm. at least we now know what the car can do on 30psi@6200rpm
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #212
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
well done mate, saw the car out there, looked good.. the boys loved your Range Rover we took the Capri out, electrical issue, one of the coils crapped itself and the thing wouldn't rev past 6200rpm. at least we now know what the car can do on 30psi@6200rpm
Hey Paulie, yeah the car is running great and we are all having fun! The Rangie is an awesome car. This is my second one and it is definitely the goods. It makes a nice tow car, I just need to get someone to actually tow me I will get there.

Yeah I only saw the Capri late in the nite and I didn't get a chance to come over and say g day. We had a small issue before my last run with one of my guys not putting the water cap on properly and we lost some water on the start line and had to push back and sort it out. Otherwise a sweet night.

So what times did you guys run?
Old 22-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #213
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Hey Paulie, yeah the car is running great and we are all having fun! The Rangie is an awesome car. This is my second one and it is definitely the goods. It makes a nice tow car, I just need to get someone to actually tow me I will get there.

Yeah I only saw the Capri late in the nite and I didn't get a chance to come over and say g day. We had a small issue before my last run with one of my guys not putting the water cap on properly and we lost some water on the start line and had to push back and sort it out. Otherwise a sweet night.

So what times did you guys run?
i saw it pushed back when we were coming back from the deep end. i thought u hurt it, then i saw u driving it back, i was wondering what happened.

was coughing and spluttering all the way down the track, ran a best of 9.5@142, she would only rev to 6200rpm we tried a few things, then noticed the plugs that are on coil 1 were alot blacker than the others. so we believe the coil is gone. a real shame as we were going to give it the 3psi or whatever we have left in it, and the young bloke Elliot was driving, he is 114lbs lighter than Joe. we were hoping PB's also.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #214
CYC06T

Quote:
i saw it pushed back when we were coming back from the deep end. i thought u hurt it, then i saw u driving it back, i was wondering what happened.

was coughing and spluttering all the way down the track, ran a best of 9.5@142, she would only rev to 6200rpm we tried a few things, then noticed the plugs that are on coil 1 were alot blacker than the others. so we believe the coil is gone. a real shame as we were going to give it the 3psi or whatever we have left in it, and the young bloke Elliot was driving, he is 114lbs lighter than Joe. we were hoping PB's also.
Yeah - I am glad it was only a loose cap and that there was no major drama. We went back to the pits to make sure we got all the water out of the spark plugs so that we would get a good run on the last pass of the night. We made some small tweaks to the timing staging of the boost control and it brought me an easy tenth and with a better pass (poor burnout and hit the limiter in first) it should see another tenth. Then just getting off the line harder should get me another few tenths and that is were Im hoping to be - somewhere in the consistent sub 8.50's.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing night at the track - atleast it is a pretty easy fix and you guys can be back out shortly to throw some more at it.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #215
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah - I am glad it was only a loose cap and that there was no major drama. We went back to the pits to make sure we got all the water out of the spark plugs so that we would get a good run on the last pass of the night. We made some small tweaks to the timing staging of the boost control and it brought me an easy tenth and with a better pass (poor burnout and hit the limiter in first) it should see another tenth. Then just getting off the line harder should get me another few tenths and that is were Im hoping to be - somewhere in the consistent sub 8.50's.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing night at the track - atleast it is a pretty easy fix and you guys can be back out shortly to throw some more at it.
you're getting more and more used to the car which is a good thing. be good to see you hammering out some consistent low 8's soon

we thought we had water in the plug holes so we did the same

probably go back out this weekend, there is a Test & Tune on, as much as i hope it's just a couple, things never turn out easy on the car
Old 23-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #216
CYC06T

Quote:
you're getting more and more used to the car which is a good thing. be good to see you hammering out some consistent low 8's soon

we thought we had water in the plug holes so we did the same

probably go back out this weekend, there is a Test & Tune on, as much as i hope it's just a couple, things never turn out easy on the car
Yeah - fair enough eh. I am going to skip this week and look to head out to either the FTF or TNT in the next few weeks. Prior to Friday I have been to two events and only had 1 pass at each, either because of weather or car glitches. Getting 4 passes on Friday was a treat.

I feel heaps more comfy in the car - just need to get the launches a little slicker and I will continue to make steady progress. Plus it is heaps of fun, so loving it!

Good luck for this weekend if you make it out. I will keep an ear out for how you guys go.
Old 23-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #217
icer
Winning's Winning!

something Ive picked up recently....always carry new coils and spark plugs when you go racing. Just in case. This is perfect example why! Gotta love barra motors!

Great work to see the car still out and racing and still pulling numbers, where others are still breaking down and not running anywhere near your numbers. This is a true well built drag car! Great job to the whole team.

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #218
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer
something Ive picked up recently....always carry new coils and spark plugs when you go racing. Just in case. This is perfect example why! Gotta love barra motors!

Great work to see the car still out and racing and still pulling numbers, where others are still breaking down and not running anywhere near your numbers. This is a true well built drag car! Great job to the whole team.
that's what i said, so i went out and order 8 more coils for my car today i have about 15 sets of plugs for mine should be fine for a few meets

Quote:
Yeah - fair enough eh. I am going to skip this week and look to head out to either the FTF or TNT in the next few weeks. Prior to Friday I have been to two events and only had 1 pass at each, either because of weather or car glitches. Getting 4 passes on Friday was a treat.

I feel heaps more comfy in the car - just need to get the launches a little slicker and I will continue to make steady progress. Plus it is heaps of fun, so loving it!

Good luck for this weekend if you make it out. I will keep an ear out for how you guys go.
you have to get comfortable, that is the key. we took the young bloke out a few weeks back, he hadn't driven the Capri for 4 years and that was back when it only went 127mph, 1.55 60's.

he stuffed the first pass, he had never been in a car with a transbrake, but he still ran 152mph. 2nd & 3rd passes he knocked out 8.7's@155 22psi, he then said turn up the boost we put it on 30psi, he ran PB's using that fuel a 8.28@166 & 8.29@166. he even surprised himself at just how easy it was he came expecting to run low 9's and left running low 8's. he wants to beat Joe to the 7's now. i told him to get ready i might even throw him in my car
Old 24-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #219
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer
Thanks mate. It is a tribute to putting in the hard yards up front and not going out to try and just destroy the competition in a single outing. It certainly worked better for us to keep pushing a little harder each meeting to try and find the best path forward.

I have attached a sweet shot from the weekend - a big thanks to Grant and the team at Cackling Pipes for the shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WSID_200112_Resize.jpg (21.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 24-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #220
CYC06T

Quote:
that's what i said, so i went out and order 8 more coils for my car today i have about 15 sets of plugs for mine should be fine for a few meets

you have to get comfortable, that is the key. we took the young bloke out a few weeks back, he hadn't driven the Capri for 4 years and that was back when it only went 127mph, 1.55 60's.

he stuffed the first pass, he had never been in a car with a transbrake, but he still ran 152mph. 2nd & 3rd passes he knocked out 8.7's@155 22psi, he then said turn up the boost we put it on 30psi, he ran PB's using that fuel a 8.28@166 & 8.29@166. he even surprised himself at just how easy it was he came expecting to run low 9's and left running low 8's. he wants to beat Joe to the 7's now. i told him to get ready i might even throw him in my car
Similar story here it would seem. More time in the car will see better times and I have a couple of little things I want to do in the cabin to make it even easier - like shift light timings etc.

Hopefully wont be long till we are down into the low 8's. PB's are very addictive
Old 24-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #221
prasac
Banned

nice pic, looks like the perfect launch. lifts the fronts a little but not too much.
Old 24-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #222
CYC06T

Quote:
nice pic, looks like the perfect launch. lifts the fronts a little but not too much.
Almost - just need to improve that 60' another tenth now
Old 24-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #223
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

163mph.

That is evil.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #224
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Almost - just need to improve that 60' another tenth now
if only it was that easy, i love how people assume drag racing is easy till they try it what tyre pressure have you got in the tyres? if you can get some video of the tyre, see how much it's wrinkling etc on the launch might be able to pick up a couple 100ths. we have a slo-mo camera or play the video back frame by frame to let us see all that crap, you pick up sooooo much stuff the eye doesn't see.
Old 24-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #225
prasac
Banned

very cool video of some slow mo, this is at 300fps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJejgODr3E Casio has a whole range of camera's from about $200 which can do up to 1000fps, but the higher frame you go the worse quality it is. 210fsp is usually very good.
Old 24-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #226
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Man i love those slow mos great stuff.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #227
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Man i love those slow mos great stuff.
they are awesome and a big help. the old Hoosier we ran used to fold over on itself, was hard to pick up unless you had pictures or video of it. the wheel was pretty much hitting the ground.

it's hard stuff the 60' we have been stuck on trying to better a 1.285 60' for nearly 6 months as i'm sure Phil will also tell u, picking up just 2-3/100ths is a big deal.

if you can't get a good 60' you better hope you have a good top end charge
Old 24-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #228
CYC06T

Quote:
they are awesome and a big help. the old Hoosier we ran used to fold over on itself, was hard to pick up unless you had pictures or video of it. the wheel was pretty much hitting the ground.

it's hard stuff the 60' we have been stuck on trying to better a 1.285 60' for nearly 6 months as i'm sure Phil will also tell u, picking up just 2-3/100ths is a big deal.

if you can't get a good 60' you better hope you have a good top end charge
I think it would be a good idea to do this. I have seen some photos where the wheel has a fair amount of fold in it. I assume that you either changed tyre or went for a slightly higher pressure???

I haven't had much luck improving from a 1.4 60' yet. I will keep trying tho
Old 25-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #229
ALF05T

Man these cars are getting fast I should do the auto conversion
ALF05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #230
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF05T
Man these cars are getting fast I should do the auto conversion
Why not! Its mad fun.

PS - I have a nice 3-speed C4 from my previous setup lying around that needs a new home
Old 25-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #231
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I think it would be a good idea to do this. I have seen some photos where the wheel has a fair amount of fold in it. I assume that you either changed tyre or went for a slightly higher pressure???

I haven't had much luck improving from a 1.4 60' yet. I will keep trying tho
we tried different tyre pressures, but, we didn't like the Hoosiers. we went to a M/T Stiff Sidewall tyre, it ran a best 1.289 60' consistent 1.29-1.31 60's.

we have now switched to a M/T standard sidewall, on the 8.20 pass it 60'd it's best of 1.285 was consistently doing 1.28-1.30. we have changed fuels since then, the pump E85 consistently pumps out 1.31-1.33 60's. i haven't really played with the launch settings too much, the tyres are getting a bit old also they have about 50 passes in them. we used to have 12psi in them went down to 11-11.5psi, puts a bigger footprint on the ground seems to like it a little more at that pressure with the older tyre and the pump E85.

once you get the 60' sorted watch out you could 60' low-mid 1.20's. get you into the 8.20-8.30's

Last edited by prasac; 25-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #232
CYC06T

Quote:
we tried different tyre pressures, but, we didn't like the Hoosiers. we went to a M/T Stiff Sidewall tyre, it ran a best 1.289 60' consistent 1.29-1.31 60's.

we have now switched to a M/T standard sidewall, on the 8.20 pass it 60'd it's best of 1.285 was consistently doing 1.28-1.30. we have changed fuels since then, the pump E85 consistently pumps out 1.31-1.33 60's. i haven't really played with the launch settings too much, the tyres are getting a bit old also they have about 50 passes in them. we used to have 12psi in them went down to 11-11.5psi, puts a bigger footprint on the ground seems to like it a little more at that pressure with the older tyre and the pump E85.

once you get the 60' sorted watch out you could 60' low-mid 1.20's. get you into the 8.20-8.30's
Thanks for sharing that. I have been running 10psi off the line for a while now, on stiffwall MT's. Might try lifting it up a little (1/2 - 1psi) to see if it works for or against the car. Our thinking has been that the tyre grabs anoth psi or so after the burnout so we should be launching around 11psi or just over. Time to have a play aorund I think. I sense it will be a fine line between grip and spin. Only messing around will tell...
Old 25-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #233
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. I have been running 10psi off the line for a while now, on stiffwall MT's. Might try lifting it up a little (1/2 - 1psi) to see if it works for or against the car. Our thinking has been that the tyre grabs anoth psi or so after the burnout so we should be launching around 11psi or just over. Time to have a play aorund I think. I sense it will be a fine line between grip and spin. Only messing around will tell...
yeah, 1psi would be about right on the burnout, too big a burnout and it overheats them. with the M/T SS we found a good 4 secs after the smoke starts coming off for the first burnout is plenty, then 2-3 secs each burnout after that.

the bad thing is each launch you have to adjust for the track. sometimes they prep it well, others no prep, others its just ok. the other day we were leaving on 16psi 5500rpm all day, i said to Joe they just laid some VHT down i will take 1.5psi off the launch, it just hooked awesome and the car was on the bumper bar. if there was more consistency around the track prep it would make things easier.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #234
CYC06T

Quote:
yeah, 1psi would be about right on the burnout, too big a burnout and it overheats them. with the M/T SS we found a good 4 secs after the smoke starts coming off for the first burnout is plenty, then 2-3 secs each burnout after that.

the bad thing is each launch you have to adjust for the track. sometimes they prep it well, others no prep, others its just ok. the other day we were leaving on 16psi 5500rpm all day, i said to Joe they just laid some VHT down i will take 1.5psi off the launch, it just hooked awesome and the car was on the bumper bar. if there was more consistency around the track prep it would make things easier.
Very true re track conditions. So far we have pretty much just kept the tyres consistent to focus on other areas - but now that it is going well we can look at broadening our horizons a little.
Old 27-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #235
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Is that the old Green Land Rover your talking about? That thing is Fuking loud my 3 year old girl is scared of that car.

I find with the track prep varies a fair bit. At the TC rounds I can end up braking out because I dial in according to my ealier runs only to find the track is sticky and end up with a quicker 60 foot and brake out or like when Paulie was watching hook up and red light. Thats with my slow family car would have to be worse with your fast cars.

Also have found that if the PSI is to low the engine labours its a fine line between chirpping the tyres a little and getting a better 60 foot or just ending up with tyre smoke.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #236
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Is that the old Green Land Rover your talking about? That thing is Fuking loud my 3 year old girl is scared of that car.

I find with the track prep varies a fair bit. At the TC rounds I can end up braking out because I dial in according to my ealier runs only to find the track is sticky and end up with a quicker 60 foot and brake out or like when Paulie was watching hook up and red light. Thats with my slow family car would have to be worse with your fast cars.

Also have found that if the PSI is to low the engine labours its a fine line between chirpping the tyres a little and getting a better 60 foot or just ending up with tyre smoke.
nah it's the Land Rover that Phil uses for towing the car. but i know the one you're talking about, it was there the other day

it's Murphy's Law when u say something at the track the opposite always happens

Phil, Daniel is coming back out with ASSi5T the boys from DLM have been helping out with the build and that. from the look and sound of things gonna be a pretty crazy combo. i bet u will be happy to have some competition again. great times ahead for the Ford I6 community.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #237
CYC06T

Quote:
nah it's the Land Rover that Phil uses for towing the car. but i know the one you're talking about, it was there the other day

it's Murphy's Law when u say something at the track the opposite always happens

Phil, Daniel is coming back out with ASSi5T the boys from DLM have been helping out with the build and that. from the look and sound of things gonna be a pretty crazy combo. i bet u will be happy to have some competition again. great times ahead for the Ford I6 community.
Hay Paulie, Ive been watching the build - atleast the bits they post on the net - along with everyone else, and it looks good. From what I can see the engine build looks stong. I am sure the guys learnt plenty from when the motor let go and have taken extra steps with this one. Im not sure how long before they hit the track but you are right, it is good for the I6 community.

You guys thinking about going out tomorrow night? I am in two minds - I am not confident in the weather, and if the weather holds the combo of street meet and FTF sounds like it could be super busy and hard to get many runs.....

Not sure which way to go just yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #238
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Hay Paulie, Ive been watching the build - atleast the bits they post on the net - along with everyone else, and it looks good. From what I can see the engine build looks stong. I am sure the guys learnt plenty from when the motor let go and have taken extra steps with this one. Im not sure how long before they hit the track but you are right, it is good for the I6 community.

You guys thinking about going out tomorrow night? I am in two minds - I am not confident in the weather, and if the weather holds the combo of street meet and FTF sounds like it could be super busy and hard to get many runs.....

Not sure which way to go just yet.
i'd love to see one get put into a full tuber. Northmead Auto have a race head just sitting there waiting to go on a tough bottom end. i have offered them my car for the engine it's a shame everyone uses the Nissan, Mazda, Toyota engines etc and the poor Ford engine gets no love and is put into a serious full tube car same as the motor i am building, in the US it's loved by all but here noone wants to do it. be great to see the both of u line up together.

yeah, we are going out but as you said the weather and possibly limited runs might put a dampener on it. we are happy with one pass it's just to see if it was the actual coil or something else that was the issue with the car last time out.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #239
CYC06T

Quote:
i'd love to see one get put into a full tuber. Northmead Auto have a race head just sitting there waiting to go on a tough bottom end. i have offered them my car for the engine it's a shame everyone uses the Nissan, Mazda, Toyota engines etc and the poor Ford engine gets no love and is put into a serious full tube car same as the motor i am building, in the US it's loved by all but here noone wants to do it. be great to see the both of u line up together.

yeah, we are going out but as you said the weather and possibly limited runs might put a dampener on it. we are happy with one pass it's just to see if it was the actual coil or something else that was the issue with the car last time out.
Ok cool. I am going to try and get out, if its raining in the morning I will probably pull out, but otherwise I will have a go. I need to just do a couple of things to the car before I hit the track and I am pretty limited on time tomorrow. We will see....

As for putting one in a full tuber - Rigoli's have been toying with the idea, based on the success of my combo. Not sure if it will come about, but hey, you never know.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #240
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the ford I6 I can only play with what I have / afford. I love seeing the turbo I6 maybe Joe could fit one to the capri when he gets bored with the lexus motor?

I was thinking about heading up for Friday but I hear the weather is looking bad up in Sydney. Are any of you guys heading out to powercruise in March?