Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #31
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: Why is it.................?

Why is it...that when you are running late, you cop every.. single... red light known to man on your way to where you are going and yet when you have all the time in the world, seems you get all the green lights.

Cheers
Col
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #32
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Why is it..........the older you get, the quicker the time goes. Each year rolls past faster and faster and faster.

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
why is it I always grab the steel right on the weld that I had just completed?

why is it I always kneel on that lump of hot slag I only just chipped off.
...& why is it that there's always that one bit of molten hot slag that drops through your shoe or down your shirt mid weld.

& I'm like "it'll stop any sec...it'll stop any sec...it'll stooooooo AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #34
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopRollin View Post
Why is it that I am alive?

Why is it that im too gutless to off myself in spite of the above?

Why is it im even posting this crap?

'cause you love our company. Stick around, we'll have some fun!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #35
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
'cause you love our company. Stick around, we'll have some fun!
If its fun at my expense, count me in!
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #36
Spurious

Why is it I can't understand why things are the way they are?, why people do what they do?...

...& why is it I tolerate them all???

Why isn't the word "why" just signified with a "Y"?

Why is the word "Hyphenation" so long???

I'm still trying to figure out the definition of Thesaurus & it's 2015 already!

So what is the opposite of Definition anyhow!

& why do we have the phrase "infinite Wisdom"...surely you won't find it here on Earth!

Quote- Albert Einstein: Only two things are Infinite; 'The Universe' and 'Human Stupidity'; and I am not too sure about the former.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #37
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopRollin View Post
If its fun at my expense, count me in!
LOL...laughing is very inexpensive!

Loving this thread.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #38
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
LOL...laughing is very inexpensive!

Loving this thread.
So am I! Its so wonderful to laugh about someones misery! lol, lmfao, blah blah blah! hahahahaha!
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #39
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
?....and do not have automated check out machines!
If I have to go into any shop with a DIY checkout (even Bunnings have brought them in now) I refuse to use them on principle.

Their profit margins are already high enough, and they're trying to cut more staff by making us do that work for them??

I deliberately go to a human checkout, in the vain hope that many others will do the same, and keep that person in a job.

If they were serious about their promotion of these DIY checkouts as "making it so easy" for shoppers, then they should be taking $5 off every transaction done on one of them, to pay us for doing their work!

There's only ever one winner when it comes to the supermarket duopoly.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #40
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
If I have to go into any shop with a DIY checkout (even Bunnings have brought them in now) I refuse to use them on principle.

Their profit margins are already high enough, and they're trying to cut more staff by making us do that work for them??

I deliberately go to a human checkout, in the vain hope that many others will do the same, and keep that person in a job.

If they were serious about their promotion of these DIY checkouts as "making it so easy" for shoppers, then they should be taking $5 off every transaction done on one of them, to pay us for doing their work!

There's only ever one winner when it comes to the supermarket duopoly.
I tend to look at DIY checkouts another way, im always in a hurry and waiting inline for some pleb to boop............booop.............boop at glacial speed, I look for the path of least resistance. If im grabbing half a dozen items im in and out in a flash, my only qualification for DIY checkouts (and I work in some supermarkets as a rep) is that they MUST NOT REPLACE a genuine human interaction with the organisation. In my eyes the staff member overseeing them MUST make eye contact and offer a greeting and goodbye.
Oh, and sign in to a supermarket as a rep and walk out the back and see how many staff work there who aren't on checkouts. DIY checkouts aren't gonna destroy youth employment like people make out it will.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't use DIY checkouts at all, even if I've only got one item I'm getting in line and the person behind the counter gets to make small talk with me.

I don't agree with DIY checkouts, its not like the price of the items will come down when staff lose jobs.

Plus it removes some younger kids from earning some $$$ to get their first cars.

It might not be many staff but surely you would be down a few?

Imagine you coming to me and explaining your car has an electrical problem, and then I tell you how to fix it and you pay me and do the work yourself.

Maybe its a training scheme, by the time you hire the pimply faced 14 year old kid, they've already done 5 years of DIY checkouts by shopping with their parents and know how to do it efficiently

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-01-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Why is it that when a very well known person dies or there's a major catastrophe like a tsunami or a plane disappears, someone has to race to the forums to be the first to post it up, I mean we all know and see the news about it.
You do realise you are on a forum, aka discussion board. People like to discuss current events. No one is forcing you to partake.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 AM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01 View Post
Why is it..........the older you get, the quicker the time goes. Each year rolls past faster and faster and faster.
Apparently it's not just a "feeling". The time really does go faster...from your relative viewpoint...than it did when you were younger.
Partly it's because of the years you have lived...when you're ten years old, a year is a tenth of your lifetime so far. It seems to take forever to go by. When you're fifty, a year is however just a fiftieth of your lifetime and you've seen plenty go by so you're "used to the passage of time" and it seems to be shorter and going by more quickly. Relatively speaking. But it all depends on your viewpoint.

Other "why is it so" questions...

Why is "dyslexia" such a damn difficult word for even those not affected by the problem?

Why is "abbreviation" so damn long?

Why is the one part of your classic car that breaks the one piece that will take you a month to track down, when nearly everything else is still available easily enough?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #44
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Why is the one part of your classic car that breaks the one piece that will take you a month to track down, when nearly everything else is still available easily enough?

That one's easy. The bit you break is the same bit everyone breaks so everyone chases the same bit so there's less of them about so they're harder to find.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #45
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

why is it that when ive walked out of bunnos the last three times i havent been able to find the ******* car????
im going there today so this **** has to stop
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=1#post5256466
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #46
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I don't use DIY checkouts at all, even if I've only got one item I'm getting in line and the person behind the counter gets to make small talk with me.

I don't agree with DIY checkouts, its not like the price of the items will come down when staff lose jobs.

Plus it removes some younger kids from earning some $$$ to get their first cars.

It might not be many staff but surely you would be down a few?

Imagine you coming to me and explaining your car has an electrical problem, and then I tell you how to fix it and you pay me and do the work yourself.

Maybe its a training scheme, by the time you hire the pimply faced 14 year old kid, they've already done 5 years of DIY checkouts by shopping with their parents and know how to do it efficiently
I totally agree with the DIY check-outs. It's not like we will see any savings on our end. I feel sorry for the workers/Robots that are drummed by management to guide people towards them. Do they realise that if we all used them, they wouldn't have a job? Nationally these companies, and its not just supermarkets, would save tens of millions. Dick Smith predicted 15 years ago that Aldi will kill Safeway and Coles. They have plans to open more stores in other states now, something like 700 million in new shops.

Speaking of Aldi, I shopped at my store once like 3 years ago. Wasnt at all impressed. The store was dark, boxes everywhere, limited brands ( hit or miss with most of the products) Things have changed now. They stock alot of products locally sourced and from Kiwi land. Why pay $200 for your shopping when you can get the same for $100. Think of it as a free tank of petrol everytime you walk out of the store.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #47
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that some people put their sunglasses on the back of their head?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #48
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the personal checkouts, I can flirt with the young ladies and not be regarded as a pervert,....rather a sweet old man who doesnt know better, and its even better when said young ladies ask for me to come (��) into their lane.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I like the personal checkouts, I can flirt with the young ladies and not be regarded as a pervert,....rather a sweet old man who doesnt know better, and its even better when said young ladies ask for me to come (��) into their lane.
I know, right?
One memorable one for me was a pretty young thing whose checkout card reader was having a few problems in the local Woolworths. She rang up my purchases, I swiped the card through the side slot and nothing happened. She said they'd been having problems. I tried swiping the card a couple of times but it didn't work. She sighed and said "Try taking it out and putting it in again. It goes in the bottom...try pushing it in harder". I said "It won't go in...something must be jammed there", etc, and it continued like this for a few seconds before she looked at me and we both realized what we had both been saying...and laughed like hell.

My "Why is it so" is "Why was my wife shopping with me that day?"...
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #50
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it that bottled water has a use by date?

Why is it that Adam & Eve paintings show them with belly buttons yet they did not enter this world in the normal way (were not born from a womb)?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #51
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Why is it that people stop in the entrance to said supermarket to stop & chat with friends?
****in this for sure. Also add why is it that people also stop in high foot traffic areas to talk **** to someone else when they can just shove aside and talk there.

Then why is it when I approach said traffic blockers for them to move in my directions when I'm trying to get past them?

And also add why is it that they'll then stop in front of me, cross the path I'm taking to go in the other ****in opposite direction?

I'm going to design a metre square bullbar for me especially for use in shopping centres to barge people out of the road, then I won't go off at people for dawdling.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeineLust View Post
Why is it that I am alive?

Why is it that im too gutless to off myself in spite of the above?

Why is it im even posting this crap?

Im not built that way, not gutless, but i want to be around to annoy people for as long as possible .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #53
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01 View Post

Easy one - you measure time compared to your experience. If you have lived 100 years, the next year is only 1% of your life.
If you have lived 10 years the next year is 10% of your life.

But onto my OP related Why is it.

Why is it that I can be gaining on a car for say 5 minutes, but as soon as I catch them they increase their speed by 10% ?

This used to happen more often in my 360 Chrysler by Chrysler, but also happens in my Outlander with Trailer, and my BF Fairmont Ghia.
The effect is even greater if an overtaking lane becomes available.

In the BF, and in the 360, I choose to overtake on a dotted line rather than an overtaking lane to avoid this silliness.

I have seen cars previously travelling legally, exceed the speed limit by more than 20kmph under these circumstances.

The BF and Mitsu both have Cruise control - I know it is not my imagination.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I can actually answer that one! Twenty years in the soft drink industry!

Water is actually one of the hardest things to bottle. With "normal" soft drinks you can simply stick in preservatives and keep the bugs at bay. The machinery can also be sterilized and maybe a little bit of sterilizer left in it (food grade stuff that is harmless to swallow).
However with water, you can't put anything in it, and the machinery has to be not only sterilized but meticulously rinsed completely clean before bottling the water. That means that if at any stage of the process there is a tiny slip up, you could allow something to get into the water being bottled.

Once it's bottled, any small contamination will mean the spores of mold that are everywhere around us will bloom.
Couple that with the way that water is usually always bottled in clear packaging (for that "clear" look), and sunlight will also cause bacterial or mold blooms. This could be stopped by packaging water in brown or dark coloured bottles, but you wouldn't have the same appearance.

There's also "use by" and "best before", which are two hugely different things. Things that will go off...milk, dairy products, fresh food, etc...has "use by" which means after that date it will go bad after that date. However, "best before" means that after that date the stuff is still safe to eat but they can no longer guarantee taste or appearance.
Actually a lot of water simply has a bottling date on it.

Oh, and Spam doesn't even have a use by or a best before, just about the only food item that doesn't...it keeps for literally decades if stored even half carefully...
Old 02-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #55
bc47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
Why is it that some people put their sunglasses on the back of their head?
i actually do this! stops them falling off the front of my head when i lean forwards. has the added bonus of freaking the odd 4 year old out as well
bc47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #56
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

Why is it that Adam & Eve paintings show them with belly buttons yet they did not enter this world in the normal way (were not born from a womb)?
This type of deep thinking hurts my head

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #57
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

why is it that someone who abuses your trust in them by lying to you, is surprised & offended that you dont trust them ?

why is it that you can walk around for half an hour looking for the sunglasses that are firmly on your head the whole time?

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #58
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Why is it that everyone seems to have a different opinion on something?

Why can't we just work as a team and agree with me
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #59
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that people put stuff in their hard rubbish collection pile that is small enough to fit in their normal bin?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #60
danxr8
Starter Motor

wow.....opened a can of worms here! ;)
danxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post