Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Fgrocks

Default Hard starting when engine is warm

If i go out in the morning and start my 95 ef fairmont 6 it starts sweet as but when i leave it for half an hour or longer it winds over for about 4-5 seconds before finally starting,if i leave it until it is completly cooled down it starts fine.I have changed the fuel filter/spark plugs and leads/coil/cleaned the throttle body/cleaned out the ISC/checked the tightness of the battery cables and am wondering if it may have something to do with the fuel system but not sure where to start,anyone else had this happen?.
Fgrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hard starting when engine is warm

A faulty "evaporative purge canister" can cause those symptoms + longer to start after immediately filling up with fuel (often with a small cough of black smoke from unburnt fuel).
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Fgrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
A faulty "evaporative purge canister" can cause those symptoms + longer to start after immediately filling up with fuel (often with a small cough of black smoke from unburnt fuel).

Where abouts is this located?
Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A test would be to manually activate the fuel pump before attempting a hot start. Either separate the cover of the relay and press down the contact wafer for ten seconds, or key on/off 2-3 times with a delay of about ten seconds between cycles.

If there's no change you've reduced the chance of it being the fuel system at fault.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgrocks View Post
Where abouts is this located?
Not sure on the EF's - but usually at the back of the engine (between engine/firewall area). Google search evaporative "fuel purge solenoid" & you might get a few pics of engine bay location.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

fuel regulator diaphragm failure, the diaphragm leaks into the vacuum hose causes minor flooding..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Fgrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
fuel regulator diaphragm failure, the diaphragm leaks into the vacuum hose causes minor flooding..
ok,is it an easy straight forward change over,do i depressurise the fuel system before changing.