Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Default 97 El trip computer/clock

Was stuffing around with the dash and a few other bits this evening and I noticed all the connectors at the back of the rear dimister and the plastic fill peice where the trip computer/clock would be in higher models.

My question is, can I simply purchase a replacement trip computer or clock for an EL falcon and plug the wiring block into it?

This wiring block is not being used at all at the moment, its just in a plastic holder and has a dozen or so wires running into it.

Also, barring Ford themselves, anyone know where I could pick up a replacement trip computer or clock and a rough price?

Cheers

Jono

Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Ebay is a good place to start to find a trip computer.

No its not just a matter of plugging one in and it working. You need a data line from the cluster plug and need to cut another wire to allow for correct dimming when you turn lights on and such.

I bought a trip computer but I havent installed it yet due to the wiring nightmare that awaits me. Its not hard following the instructions, I just hate wires.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

I have put one in my XR8. As LowEFGLi said it isnt super easy, but its not too hard either (if i managed to do it, most could), just alot of wires everywhere.
I got mine from a "Parts plus" here in sydney. Its an auto recyclers place.

Also be carefull as i got caught... the EF ones are slighty different to the EL ones.. All features are the same its just the colour of the buttoms on them (they are black buttons).. they wont match the rest of the interior.
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

the clock will plug straight in, no problems.
its only the trip computer that requires a few small wiring changes.
but even those changes are pretty easy
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
FPV523
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 97 El trip computer/clock

How has everyone added the wires. I have it pulled apart now wondering how I’m going to do this **** lol
FPV523 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

HOLY THREAD MINE BATMAN!

Seriously though if you head over to Fordmods.com they have a how to in the technical docs section. I just followed that when I did mine years ago from memory. My trip computer came with the plug with the wires hanging out so it was easier for me.

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
FPV523
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I got the write up docs but it doesn’t really say what was used to add the wires to the actual plug
Old 19-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV523 View Post
Yeah I got the write up docs but it doesn’t really say what was used to add the wires to the actual plug
Like I said I was lucky as mine came with the correct plug and about 50mm of wires hanging out so I just had to cut and shut it. I believe though from memory that if you can get hold of another clock plug from a wrecker or whatever then you can pull the pins out of that and add an extra pin. I haven't owned my EL since 2008 though so my memory could be fading...

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

BOOM! 25 bucks and you get yourself a plug. Assuming I can post ebay links on here.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fai...frcectupt=true

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

There is actually a couple on there with the plug still in them.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
FPV523
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
There is actually a couple on there with the plug still in them.
Yeah thanks mate. What about the speedo side though. Are the three wires I need in the actual loom somewhere that just aren’t run to the plug on the right side of the cluster??
Old 19-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah thanks mate. What about the speedo side though. Are the three wires I need in the actual loom somewhere that just aren’t run to the plug on the right side of the cluster??
2 out of the three are definitely there (the lighting ones) you just need to splice into the right wires. The third one the data line - the document on fordmods says that it won't be there. I honestly can't remember what I did with that for mine. I don't remember having to do anything with adding a pin or anything though. Mine was an XR8 so not sure if they have it or not already (fordmods document says it won't have it). Maybe I just dodgily pushed it into the hole in the connector and taped it to the loom???? Sounds like something that younger dodgier me may have done.... Sorry mate it has just been too long...

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #13
FPV523
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
2 out of the three are definitely there (the lighting ones) you just need to splice into the right wires. The third one the data line - the document on fordmods says that it won't be there. I honestly can't remember what I did with that for mine. I don't remember having to do anything with adding a pin or anything though. Mine was an XR8 so not sure if they have it or not already (fordmods document says it won't have it). Maybe I just dodgily pushed it into the hole in the connector and taped it to the loom???? Sounds like something that younger dodgier me may have done.... Sorry mate it has just been too long...
Yeah I just re read it and the other two wires are just for illumination and dimming. Looks like a I will have to get a plug from somewhere and get the little pins out of it for the data line to go into the trip and into the cluster.

Thanks for your help mate
Old 19-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #14
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah I just re read it and the other two wires are just for illumination and dimming. Looks like a I will have to get a plug from somewhere and get the little pins out of it for the data line to go into the trip and into the cluster.

Thanks for your help mate
No worries buddy.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 08:57 PM   #15
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

See this from a rando on Fordmods - It kind of jogs my memory - I reckon I pulled apart the old clock connector as well:

i did end up getting the trip computer installed and it works perfectly. I used a couple of the clocks wires and piggybacked on the rear demist wires for the dimmer signal. I ran a new wire from the right side plug on the instrument cluster for the data line described in the 'How To' guide in the Tech Docs. I actually dismantled the instrument cluster plug and the original clock plug and transferred one of the connectors to ensure a solid feed.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 19-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Another one - this time with my dodgy just push it in method:

All I did was strip about 15mm off of a bit of figure-8 cable, twisted the end of the wire so that there were no free strands and pushed it into the back of the Right Hand Side instrument cluster connector, so that the tip of the stripped wire poked out about 1mm from the female side of the connector. Then I taped the wire to the connector and pushed it back into the instrument cluster. It was a little bit harder to push in, but at least I know it is making good contact.

Also, because I have a GLi, I had a free power antenna connector that wasn't in use, so I just tapped the Brown and Blue/Red wire into the Orange coloured power antenna connector and then the power wires (Black, Yellow/Black) to the unused clock connector and the instrument data line (Light Blue) wire was then connected to the wire I tapped into the instrument cluster connector.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD