Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Astra Power Steering Pump conversion pics anyone?

Hey guys an gals!

I'm about to grab a Holden Astra electric power steering pump to replace the aging old POS leaking noisy bastard attached for my 4.0 SOHC. I'll be keeping this for long term, and since it won't ever be attached to the motor (aside from alternator) it'll be sweet for my built turbo engine swap in the future, leaving lots of room for some fat intake piping and filter.

I know this is a common PS pump used in conversions for anything from LS1 Commodores, Skylines with RBs and Ford Falcon 6 and 8cyls too

The only good thing to come out of an Astra!

I've got a pretty good idea on how to get it working, wiring and whatnot. There's a few youtube videos too showing how they work and how easy they are to sort.

On an LS1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrDb4VQr9w
In an XD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy6oQPJJ2qY

Just keen to see if anyones done it and where abouts is the best spot for placing the pump? I was thinking inside the drivers side front guard, although I don't really know whats under it and where exactly to mount it.

Have you done this mod, how'd it go for you and where abouts did you mount the pump?

Last edited by Fev; 15-08-2020 at 01:51 AM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Astra Power Steering Pump conversion pics anyone?

Detailed Conversion guide for a Vy Commodore
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-vy-ss.255811/

This guide will work fine for anything with a power steering box. It's just having the right fittings to adapt it to your rack, wiring it up and placing it somewhere convenient hidden thats the bit which requires effort.
Old 24-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

How did you get on?

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik6 View Post
How did you get on?
Haven't gotten around to it yet haha. Have done a bunch of other work but the turbo motor is still at the shop
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
Tornado_ALIVE
Starter Motor

I have an old Kirby Hobson power steering box mated up to an Astra power steering pump. I notice the box is meant to run automatic transmission fluid (ATF) whilst the pump is meant to use a synthetic power steering fluid.

What fluid are guys running? Can I run a DEX3 ATF or should I run synthetic?

I have heard if synthetic is used in the box, then seals can perish and fail.
I have also heard if you run ATF in an electric pump, it could fail.
Tornado_ALIVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post