Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default earth holding bags

want to do some budget garden wall raising, as in l have a sloping un usable garden area, and thought if I layer it into 3 different levels all over about 1.5m height.

After watching SES people with sand bags I wondered if you could use them long term as low walls then fill in any gaps behind and eventually cover with ground cover shrubs rtc.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: earth holding bags

Don't do it!
Short term gain, long term pain!
Get cheap retaining wall blocks, cut in a footing first.
Better still, get "good" retaining blocks.

Alternately, go for treated pine.
With all options, put in some slotted pipe covered by geo-textile.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

As Whitelion says, don't. Not worth the time and effort for something that won't last. If you are not too confident with building a timber or block wall Bunnings have products to keep it simple, https://www.bunnings.com.au/50-x-50-...right_p1080307 . You can use the companies concrete retaining boards or with these you can use treated pine, If you are only going up a total of 1.5m with 3 walls it will be simple to achieve and pretty cost effective. There is a link on the Bunnings page and it even explains everything you need to do. The link block walls where you don't need mortar are also quick and relatively cheap to do but you will need to be able to get the base course really level. If you don't want a professional in, base your choice on your skill level and confidence.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
want to do some budget garden wall raising, as in l have a sloping un usable garden area, and thought if I layer it into 3 different levels all over about 1.5m height.

After watching SES people with sand bags I wondered if you could use them long term as low walls then fill in any gaps behind and eventually cover with ground cover shrubs rtc.
Fill them full of concrete but that might blow the budget.
There's always rammed earth tyre terracing walls.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Fill them full of concrete but that might blow the budget.
There's always rammed earth tyre terracing walls.
yeah thanks rokWiz I did that for a friend (?) 30 years ago, my back still remembers the slog, but with a good group could be successful.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
WTF?
4.5m total?
That's not a slope, that's a damn cliff.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

err no mate 1.5m total
Old 11-04-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
hayseed

Something Like This... Maybe..!!

https://paylateralligator.com.au/unc...iABEgICF_D_BwE
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:18 PM   #9
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Concrete bag wall?, I like how easy it is and just drive some reo bar through and wet them for a more sturdy wall

https://www.jimenezphoto.com/concret...etaining-wall/
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
neighbours have just done this, I love it. The idea has been used in NZ for years and ....well I remember them as a kid. Used on the banks of most rivers coming from mountains.
But fair go out of our price range.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Concrete bag wall?, I like how easy it is and just drive some reo bar through and wet them for a more sturdy wall

now that is worth more investigation.. thank you
Old 12-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post

Most off the accommodation and other buildings at a Pearl Farm i lived and worked on were built using a similar process, we called them 'Stack Sacks' and i used them on a couple of occasions myself, when the wall was built we would give it a cement 'render' by hand.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
now that is worth more investigation.. thank you
Working on conservative dimensions that a 20kg bag of concrete might be 450mm long X 100m high (max more like 80mm high)
1500mm high for the wall. You would be looking at approx 30 bags per face meter length at that height
(not including setting the occassional one crossways for stability)

30 bags per approx $8 a bag would start adding up.

If you are anywhere near the sea, do not use steel gabbion cages as they rust quickly. There are stainless one, car ching.

Old 13-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks RoKWiz I started doing my sums and suddenly felt very light headed,
A mate is building a house with main road separating house & sea, with those gabbion cages, luckily stainless. I asked about the price, he gave wry smile, choked and changed the subject.
Old 14-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Thanks RoKWiz I started doing my sums and suddenly felt very light headed,
A mate is building a house with main road separating house & sea, with those gabbion cages, luckily stainless. I asked about the price, he gave wry smile, choked and changed the subject.
Yes, the reason why I mentioned it.
On the gabbions, I did a job in Newcastle along the sea front for a client years ago. Their neighbour wanted a quote for a similar (granite) stone wall where they decided paying a Stonemason was to expensive and they would use gabbions.
Two years later the cheap steel baskets are breaking open spilling the loose cheaper (sandstone) stones onto their driveway. I was told the only way they can fix it is to replace the backets with SS ones and replace the cracking sandstone with new.
So here we are, a few years on with the job needing to be done twice using inferior materials.
My client tells me theirs still looks perfect and have admirers asking about it.
Just saying. (No I'm not looking for work.)

Old 14-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Outside of a stonemason’s efforts, filled blocks engaged into a correctly sized footing are probably the most durable way. I’ve seen amateur results using the H-section posts and over about 450 high they show up quite clearly as amateur efforts. Below that, not too bad.

Tonz, cuz, you might need to recalibrate your wallet.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
err no mate 1.5m total
Ok, that's a bit more reasonable.

To answer your OP, yes you can use sandbags.

However the fundamental issue with retaining walls is this: It is back-breaking work. It involves either a phenomenal amount of really hard labour, and/or a significant amount of machinery.
So the question you have to ask is whether you want to go through all that for something that will look crap, and fall over in a few years.

Obviously the go-too gold standard, is large limestone blocks. Timeless, and if done properly, everlasting.

Then you have a variety of pre-cast concrete products, which range from the reasonable stylish, to the downright ugly industrial.

Treated Pine is probably the lightest and easiest to work with (if you don't mind the garden looking like a 1970's Public Park.

Hardwood "sleepers" are another option. And keep in mind that if you hunt around, you can pick up some cheap salvage options.

Another option to consider, especially if you want to plant vegetation, is to use gabions. You even save money by filling them yourself, and filling them in-situ saves on the lifting. Either scavenge the rock, or get a truckload delivered.
The look is an acquired taste, but you can fill the tops with soil and plants, creepers will grow through them, and if you pick the right rocks then lichens and mosses will also grow.
Old 15-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
On the gabbions, I did a job in Newcastle along the sea front for a client years ago. Their neighbour wanted a quote for a similar (granite) stone wall where they decided paying a Stonemason was to expensive and they would use gabbions.
Two years later the cheap steel baskets are breaking open spilling the loose cheaper (sandstone) stones onto their driveway.
Are they people that talk too much?
Gabions, and associated products, have been used in a huge variety of projects for aeons. They are pretty much the de-facto standard for retaining on large-scale projects.
The first advantage is that they are porous, allowing water and silt to pass through, and slowly trapping soil that will support vegetation.
The rusting metal is part of the design. Especially when it comes to "mattresses", etc. The idea being that over time, as the soil compacts and stabilises, you end up with a very natural wall.
(This is of added benefit in situations where subsequent rehab would require the removal of more permanent solutions.)

However it has become fashionable to use "gabion-type" structures for things such as signs, free-standing walls, and some concept of "nouveau industrial chic" retaining walls. Typically the rocks in these are smaller, more evenly sized, more densely packed, and of a type selected for aesthetics rather than their ability to form a natural wall. Obviously for those, once the wire rusts through, they tend to collapse under their own weight, hence the emergence of stainless models.
Which of course is typical of fashionistas. Something that was in use because it's functional and cheaper than better-looking alternatives, becomes fashionable, and the cheap characteristics become undesirable, leading to models that are more expensive than the original alternatives.