Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
heaps79
Starter Motor

Default Do you lose much boot space - wagon v hatch?

I've only seen the Sedans, but I'd prefer a hatch. Do you lose much boot space with the hatch ?

heaps79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
yelpir

Default Re: Do you lose much boot space - wagon v hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaps79
I've only seen the Sedans, but I'd prefer a hatch. Do you lose much boot space with the hatch ?
The sedan for Mondeo has been discontinued. The sedan from memory has slightly more boot space than the hatch but it (sedan) has a small loading lip. I struggle to sometimes get wide items in. The hatch is more versatile (and you should be able to fit in wider items more easily) and the boot space you lose is negligible.
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaps79
From what I can tell - no, other than total volume. However, that's just my perception - I just went to redbook.com.au and compared the specs. Wagon is 52mm longer than Hatch so the storage capacity is probably 2 inches longer. Still the amount of boot space in the hatch is really good - much better than any SUV we looked at, which is the main reason why we decided against getting one of those.

The boot floor is completely flat plus there's extra storage space under the floor surrounding the spare wheel. Also once the split seats in rear are folded down the storage is enormous. The bolster cushions even fold forward behind the front seats so the floor becomes completely flat all the way through. Accessibility of hatch is much better than the sedan and very similar to wagon. I went from a BF Falcon Wagon and don't miss it one bit - including luggage space.

Best off to go to a dealer that has one of each and compare.

Hope this helps.
Menai Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I think the difference between hatch and wagon is something like 14 litres.

I'd say that's due to a flatter roof than in the hatch.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wagon and hatch have the same floor area. I think the difference is because the wagon door is a little wider and also is more vertical below the glass. I bought a wagon because it's easier to load and you don't have to keep the load low enough to close the hatch. Plus the wagon looks better IMHO and has better resale.

The sedan (4 door) is still available in NZ. It is longer and has a huge boot - you can't reach the front of the boot easily.

The wagon is really great for carrying lots of stuff. The floor area is bigger than just about any 4-wheel drive, including the Territory, and most other wagons, especially the Commodore. It's pretty wide between the wheels because of the suspension design (no strut towers) and the seats can fold down flat as described by Mark.
Old 19-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we've had no trouble fitting quite large and bulky items in our hatch.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Boot in hatch is bigger than our old Gen3 Subaru wagon. Easily fitted our 1.7m bread roll with the rear seats folded flat (actually went to buy a bread roll, and came back with bread roll and canvas photo print of 1.7m length).
I've also got a pod for the roof (from old car), but will only need that for the short wave boards+wet suits when 4 people and luggage loaded up.
Boot size was one of the main criteria when buying the Mondeo.
Of course, as Mondo_broady says, with the hatch you are limited by height, unlike a wagon (which can be useful at times). Nothing beats a wgon for odd shaped things, but no manual gearbox mit 2.5T when buying my XR5 (avail in Oz at least).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post