Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MA Auto transmission issues

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced any issues with the 6 speed auto transmission in a petrol MA/MB Mondeo?

Ours has been playing up in the last couple of weeks and yesterday and today after about 30min in peak hour traffic it start to hold gear and wont shift. Coming to a dead stop it appears to go back to 1st but if you get up to about 40km/h it will change up to 3rd (guessing) and will not shift back down. As a result the temp gauge started to creep up to over 3/4 mark. It also does not always shift up, under light acceleration is will hold 1st or second and rev to 4000rpm+ which is not normal as it normally shift around 2000-2500rpm.

Problem is when the car is cold its fine, it only plays up in heavy traffic after some time.

Do not have a great deal of confidence in the car atm and reluctant to drive it. Will be going to the dealer next week but I doubt they will find anything wrong with it because it drives fine when cold or normal traffic.

Cheers

XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced any issues with the 6 speed auto transmission in a petrol MA/MB Mondeo?

Ours has been playing up in the last couple of weeks and yesterday and today after about 30min in peak hour traffic it start to hold gear and wont shift. Coming to a dead stop it appears to go back to 1st but if you get up to about 40km/h it will change up to 3rd (guessing) and will not shift back down. As a result the temp gauge started to creep up to over 3/4 mark. It also does not always shift up, under light acceleration is will hold 1st or second and rev to 4000rpm+ which is not normal as it normally shift around 2000-2500rpm.

Problem is when the car is cold its fine, it only plays up in heavy traffic after some time.

Do not have a great deal of confidence in the car atm and reluctant to drive it. Will be going to the dealer next week but I doubt they will find anything wrong with it because it drives fine when cold or normal traffic.

Cheers
Hi XtRmn8,

Only one way to go with an issue like this IMO.

Choose a dealer close to (or on) a busy road, then book it in with a request that the Service Manager or a senior mechanic (technician??) accompany you on a short drive to display the symptoms, make sure you have the car fully warmed up and it is showing the symptoms. Get the Service person to sign off on the job sheet that the car is behaving abnormally so far as transmission shifts are concerned.

For a problem such as you have described I would expect some fault codes to have been logged as well.

Since ours is a diesel our experience may not be useful especially as we have not had similar behavior. I might note that when cold the car holds lower gears longer than when hot, but I understand this is to keep engine revs higher to shorten the warm up period. Evidently this is causes better fuel consumption figures.

Cheers

Good luck,

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
yelpir

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Something is definitely wrong with the transmission. The dealers don't need to drive it to find anything wrong (and the car always work fine with them when you complain about a fault), the error codes for the events you have experienced should be logged. They only need to hook up your car to their system, download and interprete the codes to confirm the fault. Then they have got to fix it.....
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its going in on Monday morning so will see what the outcome is.

I am 110% sure that there is something wrong and I hope that it has thrown some fault codes at least that they will be able to see.

I was surprised that there were no warnings or beeps regarding the engine temp creeping up so high :|
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
fordmondeoman

sorta sounds like the car has learnt some poor driving adaptions, maybe as simple as clearing the adaptions, or possibly there is some issue with the engine air leak, airflow meter ect
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing I would do if it was mine is disconnect the battery for a few hours then reconnect it should clear any memory retention JMHO

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A while ago they had one in the shop at work doing the same thing and it turned out to be the cooling fan had failed.

The car was going into limp mode and getting hot like yours...
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WILDB, the cooling fans still appear to work on ours. I can hear them going when I pull up in the garage etc. If they are working as they should be, that I am not sure.

I took the car to ford and they said it had some fault codes that they cleared and they did a software upgrade and they could not tell me anything else. Told me that if it does it again to bring the car in and leave it at the dealer for a day.

Will see what happens.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Default Re: MA Auto transmission issues

Hi XtRmn8,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Have you had it resolved?

I own a MA Zetec Hatch, and my wife has mentioned twice to me that the gearbox appears to be doing something similar to what you have described. Unfortunately I have tried to replicate the scenario while I am behind the wheel, with no luck.

So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post