Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
msford

Default Two quick questions

Two questions.

Which speed do I trust, especially when driving in Victoria with their 3km tolerance on the road safety cameras. I put the cruise control on 100 kmh and the speedo says 100 kmh, driving on a flat road, but my GPS says I'm doing only 96-97kmh. I've noticed a similar 3-4 kmh gap at other speeds, too. Who is right? Do I risk adding another 5 kmh to the cruise control? Car is a brand new MC, barely 500 km on the clock, haven't touched the tyres; they are as given to me by the dealer.

Secondly, need a window shade for baby in back. I am assuming the MC and MA/MB rear window shapes are identical. I tried to fit an el-cheapo $15 version but it didn't seem to fit quite well so I gave it back. I've heard about Window Sox. They look good, but cost $40. I'll spend it if they are worth it. Anyone had experience and care to offer suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by msford; 23-03-2011 at 12:27 AM.
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
andrew67
Starter Motor

Default Re: Two quick questions

The gps should give you the more correct speed. In my experience across several manufacturers ( possibly all) seem conservative on there speed display. By all means use the speed on your gps, but be aware that they arn't fool proof and you will have taken away your margin of safety.
andrew67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep about right Mondeo speedo is lower e.g for me to be doing 110Km/h true speed I need to be doing 115Km/h on the speedo going by my gps that's why I never been booked in my Mondeo for speeding

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Yep about right Mondeo speedo is lower e.g for me to be doing 110Km/h true speed I need to be doing 115Km/h on the speedo going by my gps that's why I never been booked in my Mondeo for speeding

apstar
Ditto here
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Same on the speedo.

I've got a window sock, been on the car since Oct 08. Been off heaps back on no drama. It's faded a bit, but what can you do.

I got mine from a place called accessories online. Google them. The window socks were hard to find in auto shops so I googled it and found them on line. I don't work or have any affiliation with them and have only purchased the window sock fronm them it was a good transaction.

If my one that's on there at the moment (I got two in the pack), doesn't go onto the new car, I'll buy another set from that mob.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Marlboro2728

The focus has a great internal window shade which allows you to put your windows down while still providing shade. Not sure if you can get this for Mondeos. It is a Ford genuine accessory.
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro2728
The focus has a great internal window shade which allows you to put your windows down while still providing shade. Not sure if you can get this for Mondeos. It is a Ford genuine accessory.
Shirty thing for us is that there are no factory options available for the Mondeo. In Europe, you can option up pull up sun shades from the rear door skins, for about GSP30. What's that $80? I'd pay that to get them fitted, they come out on the Skoda Superb standard.

I haven't heard about the shades you're talking about Marlboro.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I've got a window sock, been on the car since Oct 08. Been off heaps back on no drama. It's faded a bit, but what can you do.

I got mine from a place called accessories online. Google them. The window socks were hard to find in auto shops so I googled it and found them on line. I don't work or have any affiliation with them and have only purchased the window sock fronm them it was a good transaction.

If my one that's on there at the moment (I got two in the pack), doesn't go onto the new car, I'll buy another set from that mob.
I checked out their site. From the car listing, it has MA/MB Hatch. I'm going to assume they will fit and they just haven't updated their car list.

Thanks to all for the info. I'll stick to 100kmh on the clock and avoid the fine.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Marlboro2728

The shade clips between the window rubbers inside the vehicle allowing the window to go and down. Similiar amount of shade as a window sox. Mine are always on for the kids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shades.JPG (40.2 KB, 53 views)
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Don't think there was any change in windows from MA/MB to MC.
Previous:
Old 23-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro2728
The shade clips between the window rubbers inside the vehicle allowing the window to go and down. Similiar amount of shade as a window sox. Mine are always on for the kids.
Wow, that looks awesome. The Ford site says it features the Focus logo so methinks it's a Focus thing only but it would be great if they designed one for their other cars.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by msford
Wow, that looks awesome. The Ford site says it features the Focus logo so methinks it's a Focus thing only but it would be great if they designed one for their other cars.
I had them on my Focus. A great idea. Didn't know they were available for the Mondeo
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
marcusturbo

I have a linear error of 4km/h from 40 up to 110km/h. Have checked this using my satnav and 2 different gps based phones. I drive everwhere with the cruise set 4k's faster than the speedo so I'm bang on the money.

msford - set the cruise control to say 70 then push the "res" button to increase speed in 1km/h increments and not 5 with the set button.
Old 28-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusturbo
msford - set the cruise control to say 70 then push the "res" button to increase speed in 1km/h increments and not 5 with the set button.
Whaddya know; it works. Great tip. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My GPS gives a speedo error of 5 km/h at 100. Those roadside speed display thingys indicate a 4 km/h error at 70.

Remember to recheck it if you change tyres - in my old Mondeo new tyres dropped the error at 100 to 3 km/h.