Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
rx2_2
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Zetec TDCI TowBar 1200?

Hi,

I have just bought a Mondeo Zetec MB 2010 TDCI hatch and I am wanting to fit a towbar for our bike rack. I am a little confused from the Ford website as to whether I need to fit the 1600KG towbar because it's a diesel, or whether I can fit the 1200KG which is indicated for petrol?

I phoned our local dealership and it appears they are a little confused also, but recommended that I go with the 1600KG. I am only going to use the towbar for our bike rack, so a 1200KG would be more than ample.

Does anyone know, officially, whether I can use the 1200KG towbar on my car, or do I need to get the 1600KG one which also comes with a load leveller!

Thanks in advance

Rob

rx2_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Menai Mark

Default Re: Mondeo Zetec TDCI TowBar 1200?

Hi Rob,

You can fit either. Just remember the tow weight cannot exceed the rating on the tow bar. They should also fit a label on the drivers inside door side just to remind you what the max rating is. (This is for NSW anyway - may be different in other states.)
I had the 1600 fitted as I have a boat that weighs in 1100kg but also down the track if I needed to tow a caravan or car trailer I knew could. Basically both bars look identical. The only difference is with the load leveller attached, which can be removed so doesn't look so ugly / avoid kicking with shin. (Mines still unused and in the box.) I've actually unbolted and removed the tongue so you can't see that I have a tow bar fitted. I then fit the tongue whenever needed. The price difference isn't much so if one day you think you may want to tow something substantial (ie caravan, car trailer with car) then go the 1600 as this is what the Max tow weight of the car is anyway and you won't be caught out having to borrow someone elses car to do so.

Hope this helps.
Menai Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
rx2_2
Starter Motor

Thanks Menai your a great help. I think I am going to go with the 1600. Did you get the Ford branded towbar fitted? If you did, do you mind sharing what you paid? I can't decide between an official Ford or a Hayman Reese. The hayman is 650 including wiring and ecu, compared to 1050 for a Ford.

Has anyone had any experience with the Hayman on the mondeo?
Old 18-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
rx2_2
Starter Motor

In the spirit of forum's here is an update.

I found out that the Ford 1200KG towbar pack and the 1600KG pack have exactly the same components, apart from the 1600KG pack includes a load leveler. I spoke to the parts department and they were kind enough to go through what components make up the different towbar packs. So for my purposes, I decided to go with the 1200KG pack, and if required I can buy the load leveler separately later.

Cheers

Robert