Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Menai Mark

Default Mondeo Diesel questions (answers sought)

I've just taken delivery of my MC TDCi Mondeo Titanium Diesel. Loving it. As a new comer to Diesels I have a couple of questions.

1. Any difference between truck and normal Diesel, other than advertising Hype?
2. The adapter that comes with the car for the Diesel, has anybody used this without a problem to fill up from a bowser that has the larger nozzle for trucks? ie doesn't spray you with Diesel. (Or is the adapter only so you can fill from a Jerry can).
3. If you can't use the supplied adapter, is there anything aftermarket I can use? I'm off to Adelaide next month and don't want to discover that all the country bowsers are the Truck Type only nozzles.
4. Can I use Bio Diesel?

Menai Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Batman105E

Mark,

My answers in red.

1. Any difference between truck and normal Diesel, other than advertising Hype? The only different "types" of diesel in OZ are alpine blend and summer blend which are used in the higher and colder areas during winter. Different brands might use different additives to help reduce algae etc. but I don't reckon you could go wrong if you stick to the main brands - Shell, BP and Caltex. I only use BP cause I prefer their diesel (seems to run better in my D4D Hilux nothing factually based just my perception after running it on Shell for a year or so) so that is the fuel card I got.

2. The adapter that comes with the car for the Diesel, has anybody used this without a problem to fill up from a bowser that has the larger nozzle for trucks? ie doesn't spray you with Diesel. (Or is the adapter only so you can fill from a Jerry can). The adaptor is to be used with the high flow bowsers that truck and some country stations have for diesel, I have used it and it dropped fuel out of overflow pipe in the wheel arch, but mine drops diesel on the ground when using a normal bowser so best not to use my experience as gospel.

3. If you can't use the supplied adapter, is there anything aftermarket I can use? I'm off to Adelaide next month and don't want to discover that all the country bowsers are the Truck Type only nozzles. Use the supplied adaptor, you wont need anything else.

4. Can I use Bio Diesel? I wouldn't use bio fuel in my car, but check with Ford and ask them if you really want to use it.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Menai Mark

Last edited by Menai Mark; 15-03-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Meant to be a new post
Old 15-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Menai Mark

Batman105E - Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies to my questions - much appreciated. Not so concerned about Bio Fuel specifically, just more curious, as I'm sure this will become more widely available in future.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biofuel will void your warranty...check your manual/handbook.

I run a 2.0 TDCI Focus and BP Ultimate diesel gives better economy 5.2 v 5.4 ltrs per 100kms but costs more!
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: Mondeo Diesel questions (answers sought)

I've used the adapter many times, and it's tricky to get it to work just right. It won't click off sometimes, and spills diesel.

I use it as a last resort. I've never figured out how to use it, and I also find the 'car' pumps to be cleaner, and closer to the shop!
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menai Mark
I've just taken delivery of my MC TDCi Mondeo Titanium Diesel. Loving it. As a new comer to Diesels I have a couple of questions.

1. Any difference between truck and normal Diesel, other than advertising Hype?
Sulphur level

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Sulphur level

apstar
Apster

In regards to the Mondeo TDCi engine:

Does Sulphur level have an impact on:
1. engine were and tear
2. performance
3. economy?

Do I:
3. avoid using truck diesel at all costs
4. ok to use now and then
5. it doesn't really matter and can use it as often as I like?

Just need to know as I'm new to diesels. Thanks in advance.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I've used the adapter many times, and it's tricky to get it to work just right. It won't click off sometimes, and spills diesel.

I use it as a last resort. I've never figured out how to use it, and I also find the 'car' pumps to be cleaner, and closer to the shop!
Thanks Dusty1. Just want to make sure that I can use it if needed, especially if I'm low on diesel and only have access to a 'high flow' type truck pump. I thought that it would probably be tricky to use. Thanks for the confirmation. Most of the time I'll be using the 'car' type pumps anyway.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I can remember when diesel was only used by trucks and hard core 4wds. Not any more.

Many women now drive diesels (I've been called this), and if my partner is anything to go by, won't be fiddling around with adaptors and trying to use a high flow pump. It's good that the petrol companies realise this and offer more user friendly options for diesel owners.

Having said that, my partner has never filled up my car, that's my job (apparently).
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 16-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Batman105E

Quote:
Sulphur level

apstar
The info provided by Shell BP and Caltex shows that all fuels available through retail outlets is low Sulphur Diesel.

Shell

Diesel Extra

Shell make a Diesel Extra that is wholesaled to mining and transport companies and not available retail as far as I can gather but is also low sulphur

BP

BP Ultimate

BP also make BP Ultimate which is not available everywhere yet, they also make 5% bio Diesel available in NSW and also mention the winter blend, all these are also low Sulphur.

Caltex

Caltex make mention of only the Vortex Diesel, which is also low sulphur.
Old 16-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
7summit7
Mondeo MD Titanium Hatch

Quote:

2. The adapter that comes with the car for the Diesel, has anybody used this without a problem to fill up from a bowser that has the larger nozzle for trucks? ie doesn't spray you with Diesel. (Or is the adapter only so you can fill from a Jerry can).
Hi Mark

Where is the adapter stored? I haven't found it yet? Did the dealer point it out?

Cheers

Mark 7
7summit7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apster

In regards to the Mondeo TDCi engine:

Does Sulphur level have an impact on:
1. engine were and tear
2. performance
3. economy?

Do I:
3. avoid using truck diesel at all costs
4. ok to use now and then
5. it doesn't really matter and can use it as often as I like?

Just need to know as I'm new to diesels. Thanks in advance.
Mark
Batman105E response is spot on I use BP Ultimate and carry it with me if I know I am going somewhere where there is no supply There were cases where Sulphur was desirable for lubrication purposes especially with fuel pumps in fuel tanks and indeed additives were added to the low sulphur diesel but thats now been incorporated into the fuel

apstar
Old 17-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7summit7
Hi Mark

Where is the adapter stored? I haven't found it yet? Did the dealer point it out?

Cheers

Mark 7
It's under the spare wheel with the jack. The screw-in towing eye is also there.
Old 17-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
It's under the spare wheel with the jack. The screw-in towing eye is also there.
Once you find it place it in the glove box easier than unloading the hatch everytime when you need it

apstar
Old 17-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Once you find it place it in the glove box easier than unloading the hatch everytime when you need it

apstar
I keep mine inside one of the elastic velcro straps on the side of the hatch - easy.
Previous:
Old 17-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
7summit7
Mondeo MD Titanium Hatch

Quote:
Phew... Found it. I glad you pointed it out too me. I also am driving to Adelaide soon and it would have been a real pain to unload the boot just to refuel.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers

Mark 7
7summit7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Mickmelb

As some of the others have already said all diesel sold in Australia since 2009 is low sulphur its the law. Like petrol some suppliers will claim their product has additives that make it better than their competitors. The main difference is there are alpine blends available to stop it freezing in subzero conditions but I'm not sure if that's available at retail outlets, I have it delivered a few 1000L at a time during the colder months for use in machinery. Bottom line its like petrol in that you can get a bad tank from a dodgy outlet but otherwise don't stress too much about where you buy it I would be more worried about the fast flow nozzle than the actual brand.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have BP Ultimate diesel in Oz? We have it here but there is no price premium as in the UK, so I suspect it's just a marketing exercise.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
obione980

Why would you refuel anywhere other than in a metropolitan area - if that's where you live? All metro stations have car pumps - if they have a high volume (truck) pump - it's out the back somewhere.

The cetane rating of different diesels can vary a little - but I understand the sulphur level is identical for all brands!
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sulphur content is measured in ppm normal diesel prior to 2000 had something like 5,000ppm then it was reduced to 50ppm now its around 10ppm because of the low sulphur content seals were being effected especially fuel pumps so a lot of work has been put in by car manufactures to design pumps that prevent seals from cracking and engine components

apstar
Old 18-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same in NZ - 10 ppm. It has to be this low so that diesels can meet the latest emissions standards such as Euro V. For some years we couldn't buy Euro diesels here because there was too much sulphur in the diesel. And despite all the prophets of doom, the roadside is not littered with broken diesel vehicles that couldn't run on low sulphur diesel.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Menai Mark

[QUOTE=obione980]Why would you refuel anywhere other than in a metropolitan area - if that's where you live? All metro stations have car pumps - if they have a high volume (truck) pump - it's out the back somewhere.QUOTE]

Well actually no. I pulled into a Mobil service station in Kirawee in Sutherland, Sydney south - all they had was a Hi Flow Truck Bowser (x2). Definitely a Metro station and definitely not a Truck Stop type service station. Went to another servo down the road so no probs. I've also pulled into a BP and on one side was a Truck Bowser, the other a car.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmelb
The main difference is there are alpine blends available to stop it freezing in subzero conditions but I'm not sure if that's available at retail outlets.
The latest MC Car owners manual does state to use this type of diesel when going to the alpine regions and actually lists which towns in the Alpine region in NSW & Vic have BP Service Stations that MAY carry this. It recommends contacting a station before travelling to the area. This is what it states(verbatim):
Diesel - Winter driving

Diesel fuel purchased in the city and coastal regions often has different cold temperature properties than diesel sold in Alpine regions. Wax may form in the vehicle's fuel lines if the vehicle is left outside overnight or for a number of hours in below zero temperatures.

This means that the vehicle will not start or run correctly until the wax has melted. To avoid this problem, if a prolonged or overnight stay is planned in an alpine region then it is strongly recommended that the vehicle carry enough fuel to get to the Alpine region and is then refuelled locally so that at least 50% of the fuel volume is Alpine mix diesel.

At the time of publication, Alpine mix diesel is available at the following BP service stations:

Victoria

Bright, Corryong and Mansfield

NSW

Jindabyne, Thredbo, Tumut, Talbingo, Adaminaby and Cooma.

Please confirm availability at the time of your trip. (End of what is stated in the manual).

Important for us skiers / snowboarders to know this! Anybody had experience with diesels not starting or not running correctly in cold weather? What did you do / what happened? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
Old 20-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #25
walschaert
Starter Motor

I had a situation where the fuel nozzle on the only pump (it wasn't hi flow - suburban Sydney) wouldn't make the valve in the filler open. The only way I could get fuel in the car was to use the hi flow adapter to open the valve and use the pump normally.
Also, I dont think you would want to store the adapter in the glove box unless you were able to wipe it perfectly clean. One thing I didn't realise about the diesel - it can be a bit messy.
walschaert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by walschaert
One thing I didn't realise about the diesel - it can be a bit messy.
At some Tescos in the UK they have disposable gloves at the pumps - must buy some cheap ones and keep them in the car. Also, be careful near well used diesel pumps when it's wet - can be very slippery. Modern service stations with diesel at every pump don't usually have this problem.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #27
Batman105E

Quote:
At some Tescos in the UK they have disposable gloves at the pumps - must buy some cheap ones and keep them in the car. Also, be careful near well used diesel pumps when it's wet - can be very slippery. Modern service stations with diesel at every pump don't usually have this problem.
I keep a leather riggers style glove in the area covered by the fuel flap on my Hilux keeps my hand clean. Still need to get one for the Mondeo, but I will cause I hate oily diesely hands.