Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Comparision Between Dyno Dynamics and Mainlines Dynos

Had a very interesting chat with a Mate who has just done his training on a new 1000hp Mainline dyno to learn to use it. Now what was interesting is that they ran his VY2 Clubsport R8 auto and it made 228rwkw and on the Dyno Dynamics it made 238rwkw, now his mates Monaro with a cam and exhaust and Extractors made 290rwkw on DD(dyno Dynamics) and only 272rwkw on the Mainline Dyno. Also a stock BF F6 tornado Auto was there it made 210rwkw. Now after a long day of training and talk about why the differences this was what come up. When you look at the F6 at 210rwkw it is approx 270 at the engine which is right. Now the Monaro was never going to make 290rwkw with no headwork so 272rwkw sounds more correct. The guy from Mainline Dynos reckons that all Dyno Dynamic Dynos read high as this is just how they are calibrated, its not operator error just different calibrations. The other interesting thing was that my mates Clubby had 500rwNm or 600 odd at the engine which it doesn't. Apparently DD measure Roller torque and not torque at the Wheels. Now I'm not 100% sure what this means but his clubby had 405rwNm or about 520Nm at engine which for a 5.7L Gen3 is about right with Edit and Extractor and Exhaust. Now apparently Torque is measured at the roller centre shaft where the roller shaft meets the measuring device and not corrected Torque at the Tyre like Mainline.
The other thing is with Mainline you can hook up heaps of stuff like a Injector duty cycle sensor to the injectors and graph injector cycle to power output. With Holden and Ford you can plug into diagnostic port and read all engine sensor outputs while it is run on dyno and you can graph everything, boost, Oil pressure, speed, rpm, temp, air intake temp, timing ,AFR's, you name it. So maybe all these really high standard cars we see are just inflated figures that are incorrect. Also apparently the Mainline Software is 2 or 3 times more advanced than DD and they send you free updates for they dyno whenever they find something new as apposed to DD where you have to pay for updates/upgrades. Some Food for thought guys. It still means that any dyno is good for before and after and tuning but maybe the number is not a true representation of what you really have.

Old 14-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have heard the same thing as well ... and that's why you get some many people whinging when they get "low readings" on the Mainline dyno ... it's just that when they get their higher figures on DD they don't realise it has been artificial "ballooned" out.

Mainline dyno also show averages as well (not just peak) either ... I have had a look at my mechanic's Mainline when he has been testing/tuning a few vehicles ... and the amount of functions and features available is astounding that I didn't realise they had.

I dyno is a good tuning tool though if you use the same one all of the time to show actual comparison figures after every mod.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The mainline/dyno dynamics argument is like the ford/holden argument, you will valid opinions from both sides.

That being said I opted for a mainline because of their software options and their consistancy, but I'm sure D/D owners will say the same thing

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
The guy from Mainline Dynos reckons that all Dyno Dynamic Dynos read high as this is just how they are calibrated, its not operator error just different calibrations.
Of course he says stuff like this - he sells the opposing brand! He's hardly going to give it glowing reports and say it's better than his product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
It still means that any dyno is good for before and after and tuning but maybe the number is not a true representation of what you really have.
Everybody knows (or should know) that different dynos (even of the same make and model) and different days give different readings. There are dozens of reasons why this is so. It can be because of the calibration of the dyno, the weather or the way the car is tied down on the dyno; just a few reasons.

I am not saying DD is better or worse than any other brand of dyno, just saying you can't compare readings.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Yes valid arguments all round but for me the real test of how much power your car has in the 1/4 mile drag strip MPH readings, and that's in two stages up to half track and the second half of the track.

Dyno's are a tuning tool......
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
BAturb

I have said it before and will say it again, dyno figures are just numbers, the dyno is only a tuning tool, there is so much variation between dynos and operators that you cant compare them

Dyno figures are just Numbers!!!

Winner best Ford ute any model
07 Adelaide all Ford day
BAturb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

i have only worked on a mainline and several cars that have come from engine dyno's have come to get in car tweaks done. needless to say that it was very acurate. It does have a plethora of inputs that you are able to log as has been said before. I havent used a DD so i cant and wont comment.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I try to run my car on the same dyno everytime to try keep some things consistent, that way I know roughly if the mods I have done, have gained anything at all, as said its a tuning tool, but you have to try compare apples with apples.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

As this gentleman from Mainline said, there is nothing wrong with the Dyno Dynamics Dynos but he knows that the numbers that Mainline Dynos come up with are more Real world Numbers, By this he means if you have 230rwkw than this is exactly what you have . He also said that people who tell you you have X amount of power at the Flywheel and have worked this out from using there RWkw and adding a % for driveline loss are not really getting the true power. All cars have diferent losses and the more power you make the less the losses are threw the driveline. Example If you have 300rwkw you might have around 400kw at the flywheel but if you have 900rwkw you dont have 1200kw at the flywheel.
Old 15-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

lol i remember when people were complaining about dyno dynamics dynos reading too low in shootout mode
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I agree with Craig dyno is a tuning tool.

10 or 20 kilowatts difference between 2 different dyno brands is no big deal.
I have seen bigger differences between 2 Dyno Dynamics dyno, main thing is if your getting work done its before and after figure that may matter to the customer.
Good A/FR's and Torque thats what we want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter

That being said I opted for a mainline because of their software options and their consistancy, but I'm sure D/D owners will say the same thing
Hi Mick, most of us dont know the cost of a Dyno, I think the Dyno Dynamics twin retarter is around $90,000 with the digital setup.
Whats the price difference between the mainline and Dyno Dynamics?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan

Hi Mick, most of us dont know the cost of a Dyno, I think the Dyno Dynamics twin retarter is around $90,000 with the digital setup.
Whats the price difference between the mainline and Dyno Dynamics?
Price wise they are fairly similar, depending on what options you want.
Some of mainlines options are cheaper than the D/D equivalent options and vice versa. Mainline pride themselves on being consistant with their readings and beleive they are fairly reasonable with their figures from dyno to dyno, but I'm sure D/D also think they are.
I optioned mine up with a twin retard bed so in fututre I can add another 507rwkw retarder if needed, wide track rollers so I can run tubbed cars, injector duty cycle software, OBD2 software (no temp reading fudging), challenge software, thermal sensors, Automatic hardwired weather station, 20,000 cfm fan, etc etc price wise it was very similar to the D/D but I felt more comfortable dealing with mainline, I guess they sold themselves better

Old 15-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Wally
XP Coupe

If it isn't from an engine dyno, I never believe figures bandied about.... great for tuning, back slapping and nothing else
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Yes valid arguments all round but for me the real test of how much power your car has in the 1/4 mile drag strip MPH readings, and that's in two stages up to half track and the second half of the track.

Dyno's are a tuning tool......

So true Craig.
Cheers.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mainline Dyno's use the dynologic software which is identical to what they use on engine dynos, obviously the retard mechanism is different between the two.

Their software is accurate enough to be used by several leading V8 supercar teams and Robert Bosch Industries use one of their chassis dyno's for diagnostic and testing because they consider it consistant enough to give accurate before and after figures.

The main thing for the customer getting their car dynoed is to use the same dyno and operator for all before and after testing so that you can actually see what you have gained/lost, no matter which brand of dyno is used.

Old 15-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: I meant they use dynolog software not dynologic