Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Official: Ford touts new-look Territory

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257831001C86B7

CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR PICS!

Extensive midlife makeover revealed for Ford’s Australia’s vital 2011 Territory

WE’VE seen the official sketches, spy pictures and speculation; now Ford Australia has formally unveiled the midlife makeover for its vital homegrown SUV, the seven-year-old Territory.

As expected, Ford presented full details and images of the facelifted Falcon-based wagon’s exterior and interior in Sydney today, but will not announce the mechanical upgrades for its crucial new model – highlighted by diesel power for the first time in the form of a Jaguar Land Rover-sourced 2.7-litre turbo-diesel V6 – until closer to the vehicle’s market launch in May.

However, clearly visible in the interior images are ‘airbag’ symbols on the lower dashboard near the new four-spoke steering wheel with audio and cruise controls, indicating that a driver’s knee airbag will be added as standard across the range, in addition to the twin front and side curtain airbags already standard in all Territory models.

Ford has now confirmed the top-shelf Territory will wear Titanium rather than Ghia badges, matching the Mondeo and (next-generation) Focus and spelling the end of the long-running Ford Australia nameplate, which disappeared from the Falcon with the new FG in 2008.

While the safety feature count will increase, so too will the Territory’s interior appeal due chiefly to its new FG Falcon-style dashboard featuring a classy new, more rounded centre stack, or Interior Command Centre (ICC).

It features a central bank of alloy-look multi-media and climate controls above a new storage compartment with 12-volt outlet and a “smooth-action tambour door” roller-blind lid and below familiar twin air-vents, but the headline act at the top of the new ICC is an elegant new eight-inch colour touch screen with more stylish graphics.

Matching Holden’s new VEII Commodore and going one better than the Falcon in a first for an Australian-built Ford, the new touch-screen will be standard in TS and Titanium variants, while the Territory TX will offer a 5.8-inch monochrome screen.

Crisp and clear new white-on-black dial faces – which in the images released show a 220km/h speedo and a tacho that reads to 6000rpm but still has no redline - bookend a new LCD display screen within a classier new instrument panel.

A fresh centre console features twin cup-holders, deep console bin storage and USB/iPod connectivity, while high-gloss spears attempt to connect it with the centre rear seat in Titanium models and new round air-vents reside at either end of the dash, which like the FG Falcon’s wears a high-quality leather-look grain-finish surface called ‘Natural’.

Territory Titanium customers will have the no-cost option of either Shadow (black) leather trim or a light-coloured leather seat trim dubbed Cashmere to go with a range of extra high-gloss and satin-metallic interior highlights.

Meantime, TS buyers get the Shadow colour scheme for their cloth-suede combination seat trim and satin-metallic finishes, while the TX offers satin-finish accents and Shadow-themed cloth seat trim.

The Territory’s familiar theatre-style twin rear seat remains standard on TS and Titanium models, and an extra-cost option on the base TX.

As evidenced by a number of recent spy images, the exterior of the facelifted Falcon-based wagon takes a similar step upmarket by featuring all-new sheetmetal apart from the roof, doors and tailgate, bringing the Territory more in line with Ford’s ‘Kinetic’ global design theme without detracting from the handsome basic Australian-designed proportions that first appeared in June 2004.

That means that compared with the SY Series II version launched in May 2009, the facelifted Territory will be immediately obvious coming at you on the road thanks to an all-new “tri-plane” front-end including a fresh bonnet, a more elegant bumper with slimline upper grille and larger trapezoidal lower grille, narrower projector headlights, a U-shaped lower chin skid plate and slightly more aggressive front quarter guards.

Notably, the latter now feature Holden Commodore-style side vents that Ford dubs fender features or guard flutes, and which receive different finishes according to model grade.

While the first ever diesel Territory will not feature a bonnet air-intake like that seen on the discontinued Territory Turbo, Ford says four subtle new bonnet creases hint at the performance of the new TDCi V6.

At the sides, there is new lower door cladding and a new, more angled C-pillar and ‘faster’ rear-most side window are part of the fresh rear three-quarter panel. Complementing this at the rear is a redesigned bumper, (wrap-around) tail-lights, tailgate appliqué, lower skid plate and lower valence panel.

While the newly named Titanium flagship is differentiated by new twin chromed C-shaped accents, the upgraded Territory range-topper is most dramatically distinguished by LED lamps within the triangular-shape lower edge of the new-look headlights.

The Territory’s new Euro-style LED daytime running lights are absent on latter variants including the entry-level TX and mid-range TS, but the latter scores new round foglights instead of the chrome-surround rectangular units seen on the Titanium, which also scores extra exterior chrome touches and indicators in its wing mirrors.

Completing the new-look Territory exterior are a new range of model-specific alloy wheels – five-spoke 17-inch items for the TX, painted and machined-face 18s in a five-split-spoke design for the TS and a five twin-spoke 18-inch design featuring a machined and painted ‘wet’ look for the Titanium.

All Territory models will continue to come with roof rails and a tailgate with separate-opening rear glass.

Only one solid exterior paint colour will be available (Winter White), while eight fresh metallic paints will be offered: Lightning Strike (silver), Chill (silver-gold), Smoke (dark silver), Havana (warm mocha), Seduce (red), Vanish (blue-black), Edge (gun-metal grey) and Silhouette (black).

Ford Asia Pacific and Africa design director Chris Svensson said a number of Kinetic design elements were applied to add sophistication to Australia’s only locally built SUV.

“We worked hard to ensure the new Territory was an evolution of the original model and, through the use of Ford’s distinct design DNA, also gave a hint of the future,” he said. “To achieve this we applied Ford's unique style philosophy: kinetic design.

“Kinetic design comprises several specific elements, all of which are present in the new Territory. They are confident stance, dynamic lines, expressive form language, taut surfacing, bold graphics and great detailing.

"When you combine them they convey movement and athleticism. In other words, the vehicle looks like it is moving when standing still.

“The overall visual effect of kinetic design is simple: in the case of the new Territory it communicates its dynamic capabilities and fun-to-drive spirit.

“New Territory's unique frontal design was recognised by Ford's Global Design Management as a key feature that not only identified Territory as a distinctly Australian product, but also embodies cues that are core to the Ford design DNA.

“That's the strength of our global One Ford philosophy. The design of Territory was developed as part of our global philosophy but specifically crafted to appeal to the Australian consumer.”

What's new for Territory:

Projector headlights
Upper grille
Lower grille
Front bumper
Lower chin skid plate
LED lamps (Titanium)
Round fog-lights (TS)
Bonnet
Front guard flutes
Lower door cladding
C-pillar design
Rear-most side glass
Rear three-quarter panel
Tail-lights
Rear lift-gate appliqué
Rear bumper
Rear lower skid plate
Rear lower valence panel
Chrome rear valence accents (Titanium)
Instrument panel
Gauge cluster with LED screen
Eight-inch colour touch-screen (Titanium, TS)
5.8-inch monochromatic screen (TX)
Audio functions
Interior Command Centre (ICC)
Round outboard air-vents
Four-spoke steering wheel
Remote audio and cruise controls
Integrated storage bin with tambour door
Centre console with redesigned cup-holders
Interior ‘spears’
Fabrics and materials
Chrome and satin finishes

BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
BroadyFord

Looks amazing!

WHY - DON'T - THEY - EXPORT - IT!!!!!!!!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Looks amazing!

WHY - DON'T - THEY - EXPORT - IT!!!!!!!!
I saw quite a few of them in South Africa. The hotel manager at Centurion Lakes Hotel had a turbo and the Police drive them.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I alreayd put all this in the Territory thread.
54 official images
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...tory/index.htm

And all the official documentation
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...ory_Design.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...y_Exterior.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...y_interior.pdf
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I'm liking that Cashmere interior a lot! The whole dash is quite well done, especially that ginormous touchscreen.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a good looking car all over. This is a win for Ford.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

projector and led lights! put them in the falcon as well?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
projector and led lights! put them in the falcon as well?
They're coming.

As I said in the Territory subforum - I love it. There are a couple of things that need some work, but on the whole, this will work, and work very well for Ford Australia.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
bloosted
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now thats a nice car.....only reason you would buy a Daewoo Captiva over that is blind brand loyalty
bloosted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now all they have to do is advertise the hell out of it. Listening, Ford? I'll gladly assist. This thing is such a classy looking car and a great package, it should be a huge success with the right marketing.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new look is great, let's hope this Territory is a commercial success along with the FG2 to reinvigorate Ford Australia.

Those wheels on the Titanium are excellent too.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
dylancox

Door trims from the SX territory?.. hmmmz
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Door trims from the SX territory?.. hmmmz
Ever been in a VZ Commodore? They used the same door trims as a VT, and it didn't hurt its sales at all.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like now to win tatts so i can have one in the drive way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Was hoping that the base model would get a colour screen. But they're sticking with the crummy one.

Otherwise looks good inside.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
dylancox

Is the brilliant Zuren Friedrich 6spd standard across the range?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Yes it is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

And the FG-spec I6 as well?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Epic. Win.

That is all.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I saw quite a few of them in South Africa. The hotel manager at Centurion Lakes Hotel had a turbo and the Police drive them.
The last time I checked Ford South Africa's website, (www.ford.co.za) the Territory had been removed. I have no idea why.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
And the FG-spec I6 as well?
Yep..
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Awesome looking.

Did you see the little voice button on the steering wheel (bottom button rhs)?
Voice activation like the Mondeo. This system looks as though it will be quite a step up on the VEII package.

All this with the diesel, will be an absolute ripper.

I guess Ford freeing up the line by deleting the wagon will eventually pay off. I can see people going nuts for this.

I just showed the Mrs the pics. She loves it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #23
JG34JA

Looks fantastic. I always wondered how I could shoe-horn a G6E Turbo Cashmere interior into our Territory - Ford have done this for me!

Very, very interesting that 6sp ZF standard at last, and you can get a diesel RWD model!

We ordered (and customised to roughly TS spec) a 2007 SR (RPO76, first with black trim). One reason we did this is we felt the package was 'younger' than the TS in looks and appeal - closer to an 'XR6' and more our age. Any 'XR6? After all, the car can handle. I like the visual sophistication in the new model, and also the metallic brown, similar to the X1 BMW is using in most of that model's advertising.

So yeah, advertise it!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Dont know if i like it, i think its the colour though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Was hoping that the base model would get a colour screen. But they're sticking with the crummy one.

Otherwise looks good inside.
That was my thought as well, looks very pixelated ;)

Overall looks ok, may be it is the colors it was released in but it looks a little drab from the rear.
Interior looks neat, much better than the FG falcon (though I hope the leather is actual leather and not a lot of vinyl) but still disappointed by the omission of small things.

Still a job well done and I sincerely hope it sells well (1500+ a month).

The diesel Titanium will be the pick.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Snap !
That's how Ford Oz roll !

Love it !
If they ever decide to release a 4.0T or 5.0SC variant I'll be trading the FGT in on one !

Love the pic next to the superseeded model - makes the old one look like a boof head.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Might just be looking at the next family hauler...Looks the goods!!!

Why arent i seeing any promo/coming soon ad's from ford?

Its a gold mine, start digging...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Awesome looking.

Did you see the little voice button on the steering wheel (bottom button rhs)?
Voice activation like the Mondeo.
This system looks as though it will be quite a step up on the VEII package.

All this with the diesel, will be an absolute ripper.

I guess Ford freeing up the line by deleting the wagon will eventually pay off. I can see people going nuts for this.

I just showed the Mrs the pics. She loves it.

GK
Is talking to your car, the same as talking on a handsfree phone?

I will say the Territory does look good.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #29
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

No mention of Sync or MyFord, why why why!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you can get a RWD Diesel though

Last edited by R-Design; 08-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I like now to win tatts so i can have one in the drive way
If your winning lotto, then can you buy me one too? Not fussy on color, but make sure it has leather
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post