Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #61
GT014

Default Re: VFACTS August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
The FBT changes haven't really affected Ford in Falcon Sales though if you look at previous data. Yes a little but not much Territory on the other hand had a big hit!

Why hasn't the FBT changes affected Falcon? Because most Falcon buyers are either private (FPV), Rental (XR6) of which neither are affected by FBT. Territory on the other hand is a different story, as many people salary sacrifice them as lease cars. Why are Falcon sales so low you ask? Probably because they don't stock anywhere near enough of them to sell. You go to a Ford dealer and ask to drive a G6E T and you will be surprised as most of them wouldn't even have one in the yard for you to look at, let alone drive. Walk into Holden and the yard is full of VF's. Yes Holden will have more inquiry due to VF being new and fresh, but Falcon stands no chance in the next 12 to 18 months of survival unless Ford builds cars with value packs and starts to stock them! They are so relentless to discount its ridiculous. Sell cars at break even but at least cover some of your overhead and employee costs and save your brand. Rather then driving it into the dirt!

I invite Sinead to come and state otherwise.

I was looking at GS's and there were only 2 in the state to demo, and one was 1 1/4 hrs away whilst the other was 2 hrs away. Rang many dealers and all said sorry, built to order!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The FBT changes haven't really affected Ford in Falcon Sales though if you look at previous data. Yes a little but not much Territory on the other hand had a big hit!

Why hasn't the FBT changes affected Falcon? Because most Falcon buyers are either private (FPV), Rental (XR6) of which neither are affected by FBT. Territory on the other hand is a different story, as many people salary sacrifice them as lease cars. Why are Falcon sales so low you ask? Probably because they don't stock anywhere near enough of them to sell. You go to a Ford dealer and ask to drive a G6E T and you will be surprised as most of them wouldn't even have one in the yard for you to look at, let alone drive. Walk into Holden and the yard is full of VF's. Yes Holden will have more inquiry due to VF being new and fresh, but Falcon stands no chance in the next 12 to 18 months of survival unless Ford builds cars with value packs and starts to stock them! They are so relentless to discount its ridiculous. Sell cars at break even but at least cover some of your overhead and employee costs and save your brand. Rather then driving it into the dirt!

I invite Sinead to come and state otherwise.
I agree with you . Ford pretty much build XR NA's. XRT's would be the second biggest amount. But at the end of the day they are building what the dealers order. So is it Ford or the dealers fault?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #63
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If we stopped the boats more Falcons would be sold.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's with the thousands of cars sitting in a paddock just over the west gate bridge on your left? Anyone know?

Looks like everyone's making more cars then we need.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #65
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
What's with the thousands of cars sitting in a paddock just over the west gate bridge on your left? Anyone know?

Looks like everyone's making more cars then we need.
Dash:

3 private companies run that yard, they unload the cars from the docks, transport it there on behalf of the importers. Fix up any panel damage that occurred during transit and wait for instructions from the importer on where to send them to. Very efficient way of doing it.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #66
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries mate, just seemed the same cars had been sitting there for months and it getting bigger. You notice that stuff when you drive past everyday. It looks like they might be selling them direct from there now too?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #67
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT014 View Post
I was looking at GS's and there were only 2 in the state to demo, and one was 1 1/4 hrs away whilst the other was 2 hrs away. Rang many dealers and all said sorry, built to order!!
Being in the market at the moment I've noticed the trend Dash and yourself have pointed out....and it certainly extends to non-FPV Falcon also.

Just watch Carsales with anything Falcon....Ford or FPV badged. New dealer inventory is whittling down to nothing. Our largest dealers here in SA have stuff all non-commercial and FPV inventory. The showrooms they are a changing.

I'm also a regular renter...and being handed the keys to more and more Holden, VW, Toyota product and finding very few XR's with my name on them.

(Side note GT014 try finding one they'll let you take further than round the block now, I used to take them overnight or more no hope now....)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #68
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to the local dealer on the weekend to see if we could check out a Fiesta ST for the Mrs.
The one they had , was sold and gone, and there was not another one coming till the end of September.
I work in sales and I don't know about you guys, but I don't like my customers wandering around in the marketplace waiting to even look at stock for weeks / months. People want things right away and don't want to wait.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #69
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
No worries mate, just seemed the same cars had been sitting there for months and it getting bigger. You notice that stuff when you drive past everyday. It looks like they might be selling them direct from there now too?
The place is so big is hard to gauge, Foules Actions are also there (as you probably know, but have nothing to do with the importation of the vehicles), they have been known to sell excess stock wholesale from time to time, 4 years ago your could walk away with a 12 month old VE SV6 ute for 18K with no more than 150 Kilometers on the clock.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #70
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorris View Post
Interesting to see the fall in the $AUS hasn't flowed through to the price of imported cars yet. If the dollar falls below 85 cents then this may change things up in the market.

Otherwise Ford just can't seem to catch a break lately.
The Australian Dollar buys approx 91 Yen (the same as it did at the start of the year). The Australian dollar buys approx. 30 Thai Baht, down about 10% from a Year ago, but pretty much the same as it did at the start of 2011. Despite what people saying that everything is traded in $US, there is very little connection between a drop in the $US and the effects it has on imported car costs (in the end, a company that makes a car made in Japan, eventually turns the majority of its cash bank into yen etc). Imports may be dearer from the US, but there is no reason why import prices should be increasing from our major importers (Japan, Thailand etc).

And a few more things you need to consider -

1) The importers have alot more room to play with on profits. When the locals are losing $2000 a car, the importers are making $2000 a car. And what do Toyota care if they only make $100 on a corolla imported into Australia, when they sell many times more that in other countries.

2) The Corolla etc may cost $20990 on the show room floor. But its getting imported sub $15,000. The drop in the Aussie dollar only affects them on the import price, not the retail price.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #71
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I went to the local dealer on the weekend to see if we could check out a Fiesta ST for the Mrs.
The one they had , was sold and gone, and there was not another one coming till the end of September.
I work in sales and I don't know about you guys, but I don't like my customers wandering around in the marketplace waiting to even look at stock for weeks / months. People want things right away and don't want to wait.
Yep thats a big problem.

If Ford were smart (and actually delivered cars on time) they would stock pile new models till they could atleast give dealers 4 - 5, and give dealer a few kay bonus on one car providing that they keep it and run it as a demo for 90 days. No point having 1 car then selling it to the first person who walks in.

Problem with Ford Australia is there are too many big wigs with no idea about product or dealerships, that are grossly over paid to do very little other then make silly decisions.

A good example is Kuga... a car that has failed due to poor execution. Ford thought that the only marketing it would need was the Voice, so they pumped a ******** of cash into that and forget about their target market. Sadly the people who buy Kugas are not the same people who buy Focus' (which did really well with the voice last year). They would have been better of using something like the Block to push Kuga if thats the way they wanted to bring it to the market.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #72
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DASH GT it seems to be a problem with FORD Australia supply..Great cars but cann't deliver for months. Why advertise a car you cann't get within a week ???? As Cyberwasp said "people don't want to wait" . Local Holden dealer has supply of Craptiva, so, gets sales....Ford really need to look at their supply chain.
As for Kuga, the Ambiente and Trend are reasonably priced but the Titanium is over priced by $5k. Ford cann't pass their Euro models of as premium. The Ford name doesn't have the clout of Audi, BMW etc.....
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Walked past my local Holden dealer last Saturday, wall to wall VF's in numerous colours/trim/equipment levels, 50mtrs down the road, a Ford dealer, wall to wall Fiesta and Focus...

The problem with Ford is they seem to tell you what you need, rather than give you an option.
Henry Fords famous quote comes to mind...'you can have any colour, as long as its black'
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #74
Struggo

^^^

Popped into my local Holden dealer today and as above wall to wall VF's in all shapes and sizes. Salesman advised interest is strong and obtaining stock is a challenge due to the backlog at the factory.

If you haven't seen one in the flesh yet, do yourself a favour because they are the real deal and the interior (quality and fit) is impressive.

Hmmm, SV6 Wagon (LPG) or Falcon ECOLPi ???
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #75
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
^^^

Popped into my local Holden dealer today and as above wall to wall VF's in all shapes and sizes. Salesman advised interest is strong and obtaining stock is a challenge due to the backlog at the factory.

Hmmm, SV6 Wagon (LPG) or Falcon ECOLPi ???
What an odd conundrum to have. He had wall to wall VF's, yet he was having trouble getting stock. I spose he was overcoming the stock shortage, by not selling the cars, thus accounting for the large amount of stock he had.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #76
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

id agree with the stock issue, when it comes down to it, no one is patient enough or dedicated enough anymore to wait months for a product unless they are really in love with it.
if i was looking for a focus st & was comparing a golf gti for example & was told the golf is here now while i have a 2 month wait for the focus, i would probably go the golf tbh
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
What an odd conundrum to have. He had wall to wall VF's, yet he was having trouble getting stock. I spose he was overcoming the stock shortage, by not selling the cars, thus accounting for the large amount of stock he had.
What's the bet that most inquiries are for vehicles other than what the dealer has ready to deliver...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #78
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
id agree with the stock issue, when it comes down to it, no one is patient enough or dedicated enough anymore to wait months for a product unless they are really in love with it.
if i was looking for a focus st & was comparing a golf gti for example & was told the golf is here now while i have a 2 month wait for the focus, i would probably go the golf tbh
Lol bad example they cannot sell Focus ST. 1 because they don't market it and 2. Because of those shitful seats. I'd have one now if it wasn't for the seats. They are truly horrible.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #79
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
I'd have one now if it wasn't for the seats. They are truly horrible.
The recaro in the ST Focus difficulty only made for slim to medium build person. Fiesta ST recaro has a lot less bolstering try that one when your next at the dealer.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Anyone have figures for Commodore and Falcon Ute sales?
I have a new EcoLPI Ute sitting in the driveway and it's fabulous...
Falcon Ute 324 sales for August. YTD it's down 18.5% which isn't too bad given that Falcon is down 31.8%.

The first set of graphical stats have been uploaded for the month and can be found HERE.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #81
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol bad example they cannot sell Focus ST. 1 because they don't market it and 2. Because of those shitful seats. I'd have one now if it wasn't for the seats. They are truly horrible.
Each to their own, I think the seats are one of the many good things about the ST
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #82
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The seats in the Focus ST are an issue. I do not consider my self fat and found them not wide enough at the bottom.
Also the price of them. Twice as much as the entry level. They need to be back at the old price point of the previous model to sell.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #83
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I can accept that 2800 units sold last month was due to constrained deliveries but holden can't keep the excuse going.
I suspect that VF fleet sales are hurting just as much as FGII but hopefully, the cause of that angst will disappear in double quick time..

For the good of the industry, I hope that the 2013 and 2011 FBT changes are both reversed...
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #84
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jpd80.. I think this month will be important for Holden. The Liberal's are in, FBT changes gone & one would think a back log of fleet/ lease order will come in. If Commodore doesn’t have a big month in Sep & Oct, then things are not looking good for Commodore...

I also thing, Falcon & Territory will have a good Sep & Oct too. Same as Commodore, if they aren’t good months, I think we won't make 2016 :(
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Caprice PPV had a better month with 718 sales so maybe finally, Holden is starting to wedge into US PD sales.
If we consider that Holden is now limited to around 7,000/mth production, it's conceivable that the plant is busy
at the moment with over 1,000 caprice exports to US and UAE, 2400 Cruze, 2800 VF sedan and Sport wagon
along with 500 odd Utes and the Export Chevy SS dealer stock....
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #86
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Zealand Sales - LINK

Falcon 68
Falcon Ute 2
Territory 114
Fiesta 88
Focus 121
Mondeo 113
Transit 67
Ranger 392

Colorado 187
VF Ute 19
Commodore 247
Cruze A 238
Cruze K 33
Barina 26
Spark 27
Captiva 207
Colorado7 31
HSV 21
Malibu 24
Trax 6
Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #87
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They did not market the xr5 either but the reason they sold well initally was due to the fact that the market in that segment was far less competitive years ago. Return on investment. Dont use up your marketing monies on low volume vehicles that will only show a minor return on investment. Didnt your mate that runs the ford dealer that give you these wonderful insights tell you about that or do you just listen to what you want to hear?
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Jpd80.. I think this month will be important for Holden. The Liberal's are in, FBT changes gone & one would think a back log of fleet/ lease order will come in. If Commodore doesn’t have a big month in Sep & Oct, then things are not looking good for Commodore...

I also thing, Falcon & Territory will have a good Sep & Oct too. Same as Commodore, if they aren’t good months, I think we won't make 2016 :(
By all accounts, dealers have plenty of stock but order books are pretty full, I think dealers
had to dump some of their novated lease stock when the FBT changes were announced.

I don't know if some took a punt on the decision being reversed and if they have correct
lease stock so this could take a while to ramp back up, I'm betting September will be flat
again and maybe lift in October...maybe.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #89
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
Each to their own, I think the seats are one of the many good things about the ST
I am pretty rotund myself but i fit well into these seats and standby the fact they are the best seats i have ever sat in apart from a GT3RS
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #90
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
They did not market the xr5 either but the reason they sold well initally was due to the fact that the market in that segment was far less competitive years ago. Return on investment. Dont use up your marketing monies on low volume vehicles that will only show a minor return on investment. Didnt your mate that runs the ford dealer that give you these wonderful insights tell you about that or do you just listen to what you want to hear?
So what's the go with Kuga then? Ford stated they wanted to break into this segment in a big way with Kuga.Bugger all advertising except for The Voice which was a bit of a failure.334 Kuga's sold in August,that isn't setting the segment pace as they were counting on,in fact that is a very poor result for such a good vehicle.So is it marketing,pricing or both? For me I think it is both as it is a very fierce segment and there is plenty of stock sitting around so they need to do something to move them.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post