Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #31
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: What are your best/worst car sale stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Forgot another story I had that relates to point 4.

Went to Car City, to have a look at an XR5 turbo. I had no interest in it as it was a complete crap box from Car City. But for my own research I wanted to look. Well I spoke to the “salesman” there who said if I wanted to drive it, first I would have to sit down and make a deal with him on the car. His reasoning for this was he had his mechanic inspect and it and knew it was a good car, and secondly he did not have time to take people on test drives all day... to which I thought, isn’t that your job?!”
he picked you straight away as a time waster who only wanted a drive and not buy it. so no his job isn't to take people who aren't interested in drives
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #32
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
he picked you straight away as a time waster who only wanted a drive and not buy it. so no his job isn't to take people who aren't interested in drives
Where did I say I wanted to drive it? I just wanted to sit in it, look at it to see if l liked it. I had no intention of bothering to drive it.

He was the one that brought the test drive subject up, his excuses were odd, especially saying that because his mechanic had looked at it, meant it was a good car.

Last edited by fiestaz; 06-08-2020 at 08:31 AM.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For gawds sake can people stop all the bitching about peoples comments.
If you dont like what someone says SHUT THE F UP
bloody kindy kids are better behaved
Old 06-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #34
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was talking to an XA Coupe seller before going for a look and I asked him what colour it was, he said it was pawpaw? I asked my missus what colour are pawpaws and she said they were sort of yellow it was back in the day when yellow was around, banana?
Anyway I got to the address and it was a block of units so I walked down the back to the carpark & here it was sitting in all it's glory, a disgusting Purple XA.
I did knock on his door to tell him thanks but no thanks.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #35
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at an auction once and unknowingly me & my business partner were bidding against each other, we won the bidding war but it cost an extra $500 for nothing.
That never happened again.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #36
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Best: Etheridge Ford Ringwood in the current Ranger. Honest, open, and lower rate comparison finance than two brokers could offer, no bull**** and good discount.

Worst: My fault really, a 1991 Holden Apollo from the forecourt of a petrol station in Park Orchards. I needed a car that weekend for a few $K, and even though it came with a RWC it was tatty, faded and high KMS. Highly embarrassing decision for a petrol head!!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #37
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Well I spoke to the “salesman” there who said if I wanted to drive it, first I would have to sit down and make a deal with him on the car. His reasoning for this was he had his mechanic inspect and it and knew it was a good car, and secondly he did not have time to take people on test drives all day... to which I thought, isn’t that your job?!”

Also had a case of a small yard in Hornsby who wanted $100 to look at and test drive a car worth $3000. When questioned on this $100 he said extremely rudely that his time is valuable.
This made me think of one... Well my mate was the buyer I just went along to help.. We where just out of high school and this mate came from a rough home.. His dad was an abusive alcoholic, beat his mum and him and kicked him out. My parent took him in and he had saved a few thousand $$$ to get a car to go to work in. A few of his mates (me included) helped out as well where we could. Was year 2000 and my mate had found a car that was perfect from a small, cheap car lot (very early Ford Laser Ghia, one owner, low k's, etc). Was priced well and he didn't have a lot of $$$ this mate.. Called them to see it was available for Test drive "no worries, come down whenever". We rock up and the car looks mint, had log books, original number plates, etc. Beautiful little car. Salesman goes inside to photocopy mates license and comes back with a big book and tells him to "sign at the bottom". My mate is a bit, let say, gullible and was going to sign.. Luckily I stopped him and checked what he was asking to sign... This salesman had the Sales Contract for the car written up, at a price higher than was written on the car with my mates details as the buyer... When questioned the bloke backpedalled something fierce and we walked away then and there.. Didn't want to deal with the scumbag any further.. Was a shame as it was a bloody good little car...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My own worst one, unfortunately, was when I bought my FG XR6T new. Was comparing/Test driving VE SSV and XR6T on the same day as that was the 2 I was down to. Ready to buy and all that. Holden was awesome, let me drive it, told me every car in stock and what was coming and when, etc. Went to the Ford dealer afterwards (Springwood) and walked into the showroom, was the polar opposite. Salesman came out and couldn't have been less interested. I advised what was going on (Seriously interested in XR6T, need to test drive with the intent to purchase if I like it, etc). He tells us to wait and goes and grabs his "sales Manager" who comes out to advise that "we are quite busy on Saturdays and really don't have the time for joyrides, only for serious buyers, in my opinion you looks like them". Now, I will admit we did rock up in a mates loud, modified VZ Clubsport but I was still genuinely dumbfounded by this blokes arrogance (this is the type of thing i had heard about happening but never believed). Anyway, hot headed me tells them both to jam it up there ****, you don't want to sell a car that's fine by me...

Anyway, 2 hours later I had gone elsewhere, had an awesome experience with salesman that went out of there way to help me. Drove the XR6T, fell hopelessly in love with it, and signed on the dotted line for one with delivery late the next week...

Something I probably shouldn't have done in hindsight (I was young, hot headed and annoyed) was get my mate to take me back to the other dealer on the way home.. Walked in, made a beeline to the Sales managers office, knocked and walked in. "How can I help you gentleman this time" who which I just said "Joyriders only huh?" Slammed the signed contract on to his desk, "F*&K you and your arrogant salesman, i look forward to getting my new XR6T from a dealer who deserves my business" grabbed the contract and walked out... Don't know the legalities of whether I should have shown him the other dealers paperwork but, anyway..

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
.:4:.
Kicking back

Not quite the same, but when my dad and i booked a test drive for the boat we ended up ordering, it was pretty funny. My dad always wore his daggy 80s track suits. So we were looking at the demo model they had. The salesman wasnt rude but gave off the vibe of just another dad and his kid dreaming. So when we went to book the test drive for the next weekend the salesman asked to see boat licences. I handed over my then junior licence, which didnt mean anything. Dad left his wallet in the car. Once the salesman saw dad go to his benz, it was all no worries. So after the test drive, the next week we orginised the trade in and ordered the new boat to our spec. The trade in was quite reasonable, but we had to drop it in and wait for the new boat to be built and dealer options etc. The old boat was an oil injected 2 stroke. So 2 stroke oil in 1 tank, fuel in the other. Upon picking up the new boat the salesman asked in our time how much oil had it used. Dad said hardly any. The dealers first test of our old boat it ran fine. The first customer test drive it seized up and died. But they had already paid and contracts were signed. The dealer still made an easy sale of the old boat. The hull and trim were good, they pulled the 60 off, put on a later model used 40 on it. Even though it was less power, its probably better to sell something reliable then the dealer have warrenty issues. We didnt trade the boat because of the motor, it always ran fine for the 4 years we had it, it seemed healthy, but we wanted a bigger boat. The plan before getting a bigger boat was to swap the evinrude 60 2 stroke for a 90hp honda 4 stroke, but spending the worth of the boat wasnt financially viable considering the little thing would still bob like a cork in the rough.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #40
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
For gawds sake can people stop all the bitching about peoples comments.
If you dont like what someone says SHUT THE F UP
bloody kindy kids are better behaved
You'd be fun at parties
Old 06-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #41
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I was talking to an XA Coupe seller before going for a look and I asked him what colour it was, he said it was pawpaw? I asked my missus what colour are pawpaws and she said they were sort of yellow it was back in the day when yellow was around, banana?
Anyway I got to the address and it was a block of units so I walked down the back to the carpark & here it was sitting in all it's glory, a disgusting Purple XA.
I did knock on his door to tell him thanks but no thanks.
If it was Wild Violet I would have jumped at it if the price was right.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #42
IanC

Worst experience. 20 year old went to an auction and got carried away and bid much too much on what turned out to be a wreck. I think that the other bidder was a phantom and the auctioneer was just taking me.
Best experience. 1980 went to an auction of ex government cars. Petrol crisis was on and no one wanted big cars. Got an 18 month old Kingswood sedan for $2900. A third of the new price! It was my daily driver for 25 years the sold it for what I had paid.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #43
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
If it was Wild Violet I would have jumped at it if the price was right.

Back in the 70s they were all cheap I finished up paying through the nose ($2K) for an unusual copper coloured one (dark gold?). Even brand new GT Falcons were only a touch over $5K.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #44
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw an XY falcon 500 for sale for 60k the other day. My brain can only understand 25k max. I then looked at a real sportscar like the jaguar XK120/XK150 and thought why not buy one of those instead.

My best actual car sale story was when an indian gentleman turned into my beautiful 1999 Corolla and I sold it to the insurance company for 3500. I replaced it with an 08 BF2 egas
Old 10-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I've bought 4 trucks sight unseen off ebay and have never had a problem with them not being as stated.
Was well informed of any defects.
Two were delivered to me, one guy even brought one down for me from the South Coast of NSW to country Victoria.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #46
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I've bought 4 trucks sight unseen off ebay and have never had a problem with them not being as stated.
Was well informed of any defects.
Two were delivered to me, one guy even brought one down for me from the South Coast of NSW to country Victoria.
some people will really go beyond the boundaries trying to get out of NSW, but thats desperation heading into Vic.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #47
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my daughter her first car last December. I rang a friend who is a licensed dealer who buys and sells used cars but doesn’t have a yard. Told him what I was looking for. He found a car but for those who know Sydney he was going away to the Hunter Valley for the weekend. So he left the car in the Metro car park at Castle Hill with the keys on the front suspension. Said take the car for a drive and if you like it take it home and we will fix up the details later the next week or if you don’t like it just leave it where it was. We kept it.

When I bought my current Brock I drove to regional Victoria from the Northside of Sydney down and back the same day to look at it. Called the seller later the next week with an offer which he accepted then proceeded to transfer payments to him over the next 10 days.Was a little nervous doing that but he sent the log books etc half way through the payment schedule. Booked a truck to pick it up and deliver to my place.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #48
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a weird one tonight, bought a territory for cheap and got home and did a ppsr check and what do you know its encumbered. So went back and got my money back but left a deposit so I have first dibs once she pays it off... if she pays it off. She forgot the loan was using the car as collateral.
So now I was hoping to have an sy terri ghia in my driveway but not yet.
Do the PPSR check everyone! It's only $2
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #49
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
Just had a weird one tonight, bought a territory for cheap and got home and did a ppsr check and what do you know its encumbered. So went back and got my money back but left a deposit so I have first dibs once she pays it off... if she pays it off. She forgot the loan was using the car as collateral.
So now I was hoping to have an sy terri ghia in my driveway but not yet.
Do the PPSR check everyone! It's only $2
would she agree with you accompanying her to the financial institution and paying out her loan? Assuming the payout is around what you are paying she could make up the difference
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #50
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
would she agree with you accompanying her to the financial institution and paying out her loan? Assuming the payout is around what you are paying she could make up the difference
i think the payout figure is much higher than purchase price, she is getting back to me today. i'd consider taking over the payments if the price was right but i'm thinking she doesn't have the cash to pay it out
she offered to sell it unregistered but i think it will still be encumbered until its paid off and i can't register it until its clear otherwise i run the risk of the repo man removing it off my hands
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #51
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i think the payout figure is much higher than purchase price, she is getting back to me today. i'd consider taking over the payments if the price was right but i'm thinking she doesn't have the cash to pay it out
she offered to sell it unregistered but i think it will still be encumbered until its paid off and i can't register it until its clear otherwise i run the risk of the repo man removing it off my hands
oh it will remain encumbered, don't risk it. Good luck but sounds like you may have to keep looking
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #52
Hulsty

Lucky you were able to return it and get your money back!
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post