Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
inventiv

Question 5 speed manual conversion - need a manual ecu or no?

Hey all,

I'm getting a quote to do a manual conversion on my AU2 XR6. A very reputable mechanic is telling me that I do not need an ecu from a manual falcon - my current ecu (auto) will do. He just needs to do a bit of reprogramming.

This is strange to me, from what I have seen so far on this forum most people recommend sourcing an ecu from a manual car when swapping out trannies? I've even heard that I should make sure it's from a vct manual car if my car is vct - which it is..

So do I need a manual ecu or is this guy hoping to score a bit more cash by having me pay for a re-flash of the current auto ecu by him?

Not sure which way to go at this stage..

inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: 5 speed manual conversion - need a manual ecu or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventiv
Hey all,

I'm getting a quote to do a manual conversion on my AU2 XR6. A very reputable mechanic is telling me that I do not need an ecu from a manual falcon - my current ecu (auto) will do. He just needs to do a bit of reprogramming.

This is strange to me, from what I have seen so far on this forum most people recommend sourcing an ecu from a manual car when swapping out trannies? I've even heard that I should make sure it's from a vct manual car if my car is vct - which it is..

So do I need a manual ecu or is this guy hoping to score a bit more cash by having me pay for a re-flash of the current auto ecu by him?

You can do either. I know of guy whose car had the reflash done. When cold his car would idle high (say 1500) for about 5-10 minutes.

Personally, that would be a pain. I'd say the flash job wasn't so flash!

My car had the manual computer put in, which after programming to the car/bcm hasn't given me a hint of trouble.

Others here have had their auto ecu flashed with no dramas.

Up to you really.

I guess if the bloke was known as having lots of experience and he can do it quickly without the need for the car to go to Ford, then perhaps go with that.

IIRC the flash tune costs around the $500 mark.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventiv
Hey all,

the minimum required is a resistor across the shifter wires equal to a neutral setting worth a few cents

reflashes are nice but it will be drivable without
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
inventiv

Ok thank you. Sounds like either way is a go. This fella is well renowned here on these forums so I'll go with his suggestions.
inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I too will be in your position inventiv.

Im gonna do a manual conversion probably in the new year. I was told a rejig with a flash tuner will be required if you have one to tell the ecu the trans is manual not auto. No need to rip your current ecu out. Just reflash it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

+1 for the resistor trick. Reflashing the computer will do very little unless you're getting a custom tune as well; otherwise you're handing over a lot of money for nothing.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEF
+1 for the resistor trick. Reflashing the computer will do very little unless you're getting a custom tune as well; otherwise you're handing over a lot of money for nothing.
Are you talking from AU experience or EF/EL?

The guy who did my conversion thought all would be okay but the car idled too high and the thermo fans were on all the time. I then needed a reflash or manual ecu. I chose the new ecu route.

The guy who did my conversion thought that AUs were exactly the same setup as EF/EL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Done it before on both with no issue. The switches on the box are the same; which is why AU boxes can be retrofitted into earlier models. Dunno what went wrong with yours?

Although TBH it's been a while and can't remember everything, AU manuals are like rocking horse **** so you don't get to do very many!

Last edited by mongrelEF; 03-12-2011 at 02:55 AM.
mongrelEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont get any sort of programming or tune done, i did three simple wiring things when i did the conversion in my au, which is a series 2, too.

use a multimeter, and remove the large round clip on the auto, test every combination of terminals until you see one reading that is hugely bigger than the rest, imitate which clips these are on the clip, and put in a 1.5kohm resistor.

then you will have a 2 pin plug, drop this and dont touch it.

then you will have lastly a 4 pin plug, this is for the reverse lights, and starter lockout, when you figure out which ones do the starter lockout (easy with a test light) bridge those, as for the other two, just connect them to the reverse switch on the gearbox.

if all of that has been done properly, (and yes it literally is that simple)

your car will start up exactly the same as it did, idle the same as it used to, etc, no funny lights on dash, nothing.

the only thing i had, was "ECON" is up on the dash, and thats not a problem, thats just funny!

i did this about a month or so ago...havent had a single problem!

the ecu just thinks your in nuetral 24/7, and the resistor is to stop the fans from running all the time.

the only other remaining thing electrically related is the speedo, i removed the one from my auto, and put that one into the manual box. also works perfectly.

did i mention cruise control still works? in any gear? hehe
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks for the top tips Sterling. This is priceless information for my conversion.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no worries!! good luck guys
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Just to nitpick:
1/4watt, 1.5 Kohm resistor
The wiring diagrams in the Tech section will give you the wire colours you need.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anything other than a manual ECU is a compromise it will work but it won't be perfect. you are better off doing a proper job first off

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I have both. i got the xcal 3 so i can get that setup for manual. i also have an au manual ecu spare to use if worse comes to worse.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if anyones after a 5 spd conversion i'm selling my old girl ,here's a link to my forsale thread.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11350759
i don't mean to spam or whatever it is ,but its cheap and comes with a lot of other goodies
Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

That's bloody tempting to buy FS5.

I think you would make more money parting out the whole car and all of its good bits, them dumping the shell at a wrecker.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont