Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Quick Question - Ford trailer hub conversion

Hi AUvians,

I know this is in the wrong section, but if you want a fast response, here is the place to post!

I have a trailer with old holden rims (HR I believe), which I want to stick my surplus AU 16" rims on.

My rationale is that I may then use my Tickford 17" spare rim in the Falcon if the need arises and also jazz up the look of the trailer.

I have 5 of these rims, so I've got years of trailer use with them!

These are the hubs I found at SuperCheap online. Will they do the job? Are there any issues of Ford rims fitment I need to be aware of?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...26#Description

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10

Last edited by GK; 11-12-2011 at 07:20 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Quick Question - Ford trailer hub conversion

I like your thinking GK but can't help re the question. I wonder if they don't wokr Super cheap would give your money back? The ad looks like they should work.
UK

A Tickford trailer, I'd like to see that
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
I like your thinking GK but can't help re the question. I wonder if they don't wokr Super cheap would give your money back? The ad looks like they should work.
UK

A Tickford trailer, I'd like to see that
I suspect they'd work, because even though they are a Ford hub, they have Holden bearings. Because of this, I have confidence that they'll fit my axle no probs, but I'm curious to know if they'll fit every type of Ford rim and my AU rims in this case.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 11-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The problem I can forsee is the inside of the tyre rubbing on the inner guard with the AU rims.

To double check, grab a tape measure and measure from the inside bolt face of the rim to the inner edge of the rim. With that measurement, measure the bolt up face of the trailer hub to the inner guard of the trailer and compare. If you have clearance there, then you should be right. If not, looks like you'll have to use pre-au rims.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The problem I can forsee is the inside of the tyre rubbing on the inner guard with the AU rims.

To double check, grab a tape measure and measure from the inside bolt face of the rim to the inner edge of the rim. With that measurement, measure the bolt up face of the trailer hub to the inner guard of the trailer and compare. If you have clearance there, then you should be right. If not, looks like you'll have to use pre-au rims.
Just got back from the shed and found the same issue. I would need to cut and re weld the guard for height as well as depth, as the AU wheels run 225 rubber.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Wink Re: Quick Question - Ford trailer hub conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Just got back from the shed and found the same issue. I would need to cut and re weld the guard for height as well as depth, as the AU wheels run 225 rubber.

GK

Glad a problem was found before you went full steam ahead.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Glad a problem was found before you went full steam ahead.
Indeed.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Speak to Chris at Melbourne trailer supplies (9776 2443) in Chelsea Heights. He knows his stuff and can provide better quality components than from supercheap.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post