Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Default AUII/AUIII Boot Mould/Garnish 'FALCON' wording

I recently had this mould resprayed because of a small imperfection. And this was the start of my problem. The shop that painted it are renowned in Victoria for their show winning $60,000 plus paint jobs. The paint job on the mould is absolutely perfect. However the shop's owner informed me that he was unable to paint in the 'FALCON' wording as the factory uses a stencil to achieve a perfectly sharp job.

So I had another local shop specializing in custom made stickers/decals scan the mould and make up the letters in dark grey. The shop fitted them to the mould. The result was perfect. The letters were cut razor sharp and fitted the mould letter recesses brilliantly. However the first time I washed my car the vinyl letters immediately peeled off.

I have since thought that I should have the vinyl letters reapplied, then paint a clear coat or two over the entire mould, therefore sealing the vinyl letters to the mould.

Using an AUI mould will solve my problem entirely as it does not have 'FALCON' appearing on the mould. It has a 'falcon' metal badge on the left hand horizontal upright section of the bootlid. But I want everything done as per factory original (well almost !!!).

Has anyone one else had this problem and how was it solved ?

Cheers

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
rosetint
Starter Motor

Default Re: AUII/AUIII Boot Mould/Garnish 'FALCON' wording

I'm wondering if its worth investigating other adhesives perhaps sikaflex range. I heard tell of a farmer reglueing an engine mount rubber back onto the steel but am still trying to find out which sikaflex.
On another matter do you know how to release the connector on the coil pack from the ecu on a 6 cylinder AU fairlane. I don't see so well and can't feel what to press to release. Any hope would be much appreciated.
rosetint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetint
I'm wondering if its worth investigating other adhesives perhaps sikaflex range. I heard tell of a farmer reglueing an engine mount rubber back onto the steel but am still trying to find out which sikaflex.
On another matter do you know how to release the connector on the coil pack from the ecu on a 6 cylinder AU fairlane. I don't see so well and can't feel what to press to release. Any hope would be much appreciated.

G'day

Thank you for your response. Regarding your technical question I have absolutely no idea. Unfortunately I have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever.

Just post your question in the AU Falcon Forum where you first saw my query and I am certain another Forum Member will promptly and accurately provide you with the advice you require.

Cheers mate

Ron

Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
rosetint
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeoGTV6
I recently had this mould resprayed because of a small imperfection. And this was the start of my problem. The shop that painted it are renowned in Victoria for their show winning $60,000 plus paint jobs. The paint job on the mould is absolutely perfect. However the shop's owner informed me that he was unable to paint in the 'FALCON' wording as the factory uses a stencil to achieve a perfectly sharp job.

So I had another local shop specializing in custom made stickers/decals scan the mould and make up the letters in dark grey. The shop fitted them to the mould. The result was perfect. The letters were cut razor sharp and fitted the mould letter recesses brilliantly. However the first time I washed my car the vinyl letters immediately peeled off.

I have since thought that I should have the vinyl letters reapplied, then paint a clear coat or two over the entire mould, therefore sealing the vinyl letters to the mould.

Using an AUI mould will solve my problem entirely as it does not have 'FALCON' appearing on the mould. It has a 'falcon' metal badge on the left hand horizontal upright section of the bootlid. But I want everything done as per factory original (well almost !!!).

Has anyone one else had this problem and how was it solved ?

Cheers
Thanks for that. I'm still learning how to make a post but have since found how to release it but have a feeling I'll be having lots more questions. Cheers, Terry
rosetint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetint
Thanks for that. I'm still learning how to make a post but have since found how to release it but have a feeling I'll be having lots more questions. Cheers, Terry

G'day Terry

There's heaps of good people here on Ford Forums who'll give you great advice and you'll also make friends along the way over time. Good to meet you mate.

Cheers

Ron

Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i'm not even quite.. i don't underst.. what is this...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i'm not even quite.. i don't underst.. what is this...

G'day

It's the plastic mould positioned immediately above the rear number plate that also houses the number plate lights,

Cheers mate

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

Infill the letters with paint using a small artist's brush - quite easy to do. I don't understand why a paintshop that is reknowned for their $1M paint jobs don't have the expertise to have done it properly for you the first time!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

they are recest in the mould, so even if u paint over them they would still be viable unless they used an extra 1l of paint and bog/putty just to fill in the letters... makes no sence to me

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Infill the letters with paint using a small artist's brush - quite easy to do. I don't understand why a paintshop that is reknowned for their $1M paint jobs don't have the expertise to have done it properly for you the first time!

G'day

My sentiments precisely. I'm quite disappointed given what I've seen come out of that shop (fully restored Aussie & American muscle cars).

Cheers mate

Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
they are recest in the mould, so even if u paint over them they would still be viable unless they used an extra 1l of paint and bog/putty just to fill in the letters... makes no sence to me

G'day

It makes no sense to me as well. Unfortunately I am useless with my hands. Perhaps a sign writer (or a plastic kit model maker) may be the help I need filling in the recessed letters with dark grey paint. It may be fiddly, but quite doable for somebody used to paint and who has a steady hand.

Cheers mate

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
T3man
Banned

Until you try you won't know how easy it is - just give it a go. I've done several and I'm no Picasso.

Alternatively go back to the vinyl cutter guy and get another set - fix them in with a dab of clear silicon next time and they won't wash out at the first carwash.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Until you try you won't know how easy it is - just give it a go. I've done several and I'm no Picasso.

Alternatively go back to the vinyl cutter guy and get another set - fix them in with a dab of clear silicon next time and they won't wash out at the first carwash.

G'day

Thank you mate. I'll try your silicon suggestion. I need to clarify the application of the silicon. After I've firmly placed the vinyl letter in the recess, I then cover the vinyl letter with some silicon. Is that correct ?

Can silicon with a thin viscosity be purchased as opposed to the thick stuff that comes out of a builder's caulking gun, so I can paint the silicon over the vinyl letter ?

Cheers mate

Ron

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
T3man
Banned

Nah Ron - silicone is used as an adhesive under the letters so you squeeze a little into the recess before putting the letters on. You can buy a small tube 75g of Selleys GLASS silicone sealant for windows and aquariums at any hardware store. It is clear, quick setting (couple of minutes) and waterproof.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Nah Ron - silicone is used as an adhesive under the letters so you squeeze a little into the recess before putting the letters on. You can buy a small tube 75g of Selleys GLASS silicone sealant for windows and aquariums at any hardware store. It is clear, quick setting (couple of minutes) and waterproof.

I shall do. Thank you very much mate.

Cheers

Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
tickfrd6

Mine was pretty faded so i went out and got some model paint and painted over the letters. Looks great and has held up

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Do it the other way around. Paint the grey over the letters, put the stickers over it, spray it white and peel the stickers off.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Do it the other way around. Paint the grey over the letters, put the stickers over it, spray it white and peel the stickers off.
This.

Or put the stickers on, and spray a coat of clear over the top. Not only will it give you extra gloss, those stickers are there forever.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
pundit
Gazza!

Just a idea mate, if the bezel has been polished, give it a wipe with some thinners to remove the polish, and then stick the letters on it again, as the vinyl lettering won't stick on the polish very well... then once they are back on give it a light polish, we use to have to occasionally do that when I was working in the crash repair trade mate.
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post